Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993: Which OBD2 scanner for California emissions test.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:05 PM
littlerunner
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993: Which OBD2 scanner for California emissions test.

My ‘97 993 C4S failed SMOG due to the OBD flag.
I have read all the other OBD rennlist threads and still did not find a clear answer.
Here is what I am looking for:

1) I need to clear the OBD flag to pass the California SMOG emissions test.

2) My 993 has the 4-sided OBD jack (NOT round) in footwell. Need compatible scanner.

3) *While I do the drive cycle*, I want to monitor which flags are being set. I don’t want to have to wait till I get home to find out if the cycle has worked. I want to be able to pull over, and while idling, check the flag status.

4) If something is generating an error code, i don’t just want a “code”, I want to be able to see what the code MEANS — on-the-scanner. I don’t want to have to look up on Google every time I see a new code.

5) I‘m an iPhone user in case anyone has mobile apps suggestions. My car doesn't have a Wi-Fi network so I think for wireless options I’d probably need a Bluetooth-friendly scanner in order to monitor while driving.

6) I don’t want to spend a fortune on the OBD scanner. Up to $200 say, ok. $500 probably not ok.

Thanks everybody in advance for your help, time and expertise on this.

Little Runner
Old 08-10-2019, 09:56 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Autel AL519 AutoLink OBD2 Scanner
Will read codes and if your 993 Motronic ECU version supports the display of individual readiness states it will show them as well.

If you want code interpretation in the same scanner you will be using an expensive PC based unit that requires an internet connection or a very expensive commercial unit.
Best to go the less expensive route and then look the codes up yourself as codes are a guide to identifying an issue, not a recommended resolution. There is usually more than one method of resolving an issue so you will want to have a global understanding of your car's symptoms and related codes. Also, certain issues are well known and particular to a 993 so you will end up searching these pages to sort out a resolution to these issues specific to a 993.

Altel unit widely discussed on Rennlist.
Sells for about $60 on Amazon.

Andy
The following users liked this post:
littlerunner (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:24 PM
littlerunner
7th Gear

Thanks Andy for the quick reply! I’ll try the Altel unit and lookup the codes from there. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The Actron code readers are nice units, but they will give you the numerical code, which you will either have to look up, or reference a Porsche code list. if you need something in the car, I suggest printing them out, and leaving a copy in the glove box. I think you will find that there are a handful of "common" codes, that you will quickly commit to memory, i.e. P4110 the SAI port CEL. another common code is the random misfire.

make sure you get one that allows you to re-set the CEL.

I have the 9180, which I got from Amazon. It is pretty nice, but in retrospect, I would get a smaller unit if I was to do it over again.
littlerunner (08-31-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 08:53 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
The Actron code readers are nice units, but they will give you the numerical code, which you will either have to look up, or reference a Porsche code list. if you need something in the car, I suggest printing them out, and leaving a copy in the glove box. I think you will find that there are a handful of "common" codes, that you will quickly commit to memory, i.e. P4110 the SAI port CEL. another common code is the random misfire.

make sure you get one that allows you to re-set the CEL.

I have the 9180, which I got from Amazon. It is pretty nice, but in retrospect, I would get a smaller unit if I was to do it over again.
What kika said...I have the Actron 9150, which kika showed me how to use for monitoring the drive cycle flags. While it does not read in real time all the flags go green once you have satisfied drive cycle requirements.

Real time reading reqires a PST2 or higher (PIWIS) tester, bot of which are far more money than you are willing to spend.

Error code reading and drive cycle monitoring are separate functions and should not be confused with one another.

As for error code reading and reporting, even the supposedly Porsche specific, aftermarket "Durametric" code reader reports erroneous errors.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 511 Posts

You can do the same thing with an ELM327 or like device. I then use an app called DashCmd for my iPhone. You can punch in your year/make/model and it'll load basic codes. It will also let you monitor readiness codes. Super easy and super cheap.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 AM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

Is it me or was Andy's font rather large there?

If you want to take ownership of your cars health, you need to buy a quality scantool that works on 993. There are only 3 other than the Porsche tools as far I as I can tell.
Search on scantools here and you will find much discussion.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
You can do the same thing with an ELM327 or like device. I then use an app called DashCmd for my iPhone. You can punch in your year/make/model and it'll load basic codes. It will also let you monitor readiness codes. Super easy and super cheap.
+2. ELM has a Bluetooth versions that works with Android and there is Wifi version that works with iOS. I have them in the glove box next to the spare battery for the key fob and spare DME relay. There are plenty of Apps that read the codes for free but only Android has apps that allow you to reset a code for free. The iOS app is a couple of bucks to add reset functionality.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:26 PM
littlerunner
7th Gear

HI everyone. Thanks for all the replies.
For more context, I don't seem to have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) showing up. (see 1st pic below)
I just got back from doing the Porsche OBDII Drive Cycle. (see 2nd pic below).
I executed it twice [meticulously, i believe) with the help of a friend tracking the duration of each stage of the cycle while i watched RPMs.
But none of the flags cleared
Anyone got any suggestions, beyond "keep trying"?
Thanks!
Little Runner

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Old 08-31-2019, 10:48 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by littlerunner
HI everyone. Thanks for all the replies.
For more context, I don't seem to have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) showing up. (see 1st pic below)
I just got back from doing the Porsche OBDII Drive Cycle. (see 2nd pic below).
I executed it twice [meticulously, i believe) with the help of a friend tracking the duration of each stage of the cycle while i watched RPMs.
But none of the flags cleared
Thanks!
Little Runner
Read here under Porsche 993 Cycle Flag Basics;
http://www.systemsc.com/codes.htm

Focus on the Notes:
For the pre-'98 993s setting of the readiness codes is extremely difficult without the use of a Porsche diagnostic tool, e.g. Hammer, PST2, or PIWIS.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 08-31-2019 at 11:20 PM.
littlerunner (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:21 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Without paying attention to engine load, the process is a crap shoot! And with a generic OBD2 scanner you don't have much choice other than to calculate it from the live data MAF sensor reading.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

littlerunner..... if you're anywhere around Los Angeles I'll be glad to help you out. I have had great luck getting the flags set using the drive cycle. Early Sunday mornings are the best time.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

On your 97, this drive will set 3 of the 5 monitors in about 45 minutes:

1) Cold start the car and drive 25 highway miles doing 60-70mph in 6th gear (SUV style). Leave the scanner connected.
2) Pull over, turn off car, restart ( you can do it quick).
3) Continue driving 60-70mph in 6th gear until the CAT and HTR monitors get set. This should happen in about 20 minutes.
4) Idle a minute or so. EVAP will set.

It was developed specifically to mask SAI faults (describedhere) and has been tested by myself and others many times. In CA, you'll need FOUR monitors set so after doing the above, let the car cool (> 2hrs) or overnight. The next cold start will set the AIR monitor, and you'll have the 4 needed to get tested in CA.
In the referenced thread, post 99 shows AZ993's results using the Autel 519.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:20 PM
littlerunner
7th Gear

Thanks Chuck - Im in Hollywood fyi so I may eventually take you up on your offer of help.
but ill try a few more drive cycles using the tips in the additional comments in this thread before I enlist your help!
thanks again!
Old 09-01-2019, 08:36 PM
littlerunner
7th Gear

I hear you on this Jason. I found the MAF live data on my Altel 519 scanner which measures kg/h or g/second - so I think I know how to track the live Load data during the drive cycle.
But for Oxygen and Catalytic Converter (measure units = ms) tests, is it also necessary to track their ms data in real time, to make sure the drive cycle conditions are being met? My Altel 519 scanner displays at least 4 different numbers (not on same screen) with O2 in their name - am not sure which ones Id need to watch. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 993: Which OBD2 scanner for California emissions test.