Sponsored by:

trade tie down loops for door caps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:07 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade tie down loops for door caps?

I have a set of the rear Autometrics tie down loops and hardware. This is approximately a $60 value. Because of clearance problems, I can't use these.

I have a need for a set of black vinyl front door caps (part that covers over the top of the door panel and houses the immobilizer light). If anyone happens to have these I'd very much like to swap with you my tie down loops.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:49 AM
jeffkost
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kim - New to this, sorry to change subject. Just about ready to buy a 20' TPD. Any advice??? Jeff
Old 02-20-2004, 10:31 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Kim,

Coincidently I have the same set up as you - Moton Clubsports and ERP monoballs. When I had my mechanic attempt to put the rear tie downs onto the subframe points, he says they interfered with the sway bar and toe links. I haven't verified this myself, but will take a look this weekend.

BTW, so how difficult was the install of your Motons? Mine took alot of work, but I'm happy with the results. The rear shocks were giving us fits since we could get very little suspension droop. If you didn't have this issue, you may not have the clearance issues in I have.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:53 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Kevin,

I have a Moton setup with the Autometrics rear tie downs, and did not have any problems with the installation or their continued use in tying my car down on the trailer.

I have just the opposite problem. I have no suspension travel or droop in the front and OK travel in the rear... They were a little difficult to install. Having to manufacture brackets for the front was just a pain.

Good luck
Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Viperbob, I have the Motons and Autometrics rear tie downs and I have no clearance problems either.

Hank
Old 02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kim, as your car will finally be back together, are you doing the PCA TT at Buttonwillow on 3/14 & 15?
Old 02-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kim: I agree on the climate but I really wanted to get the Turtle out for a spin. Maybe I'll see you at NCRC/Thunderhill in April.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had Hank as an instructor with NCRC at Laguna Seca in Dec and I can't think of a better way to learn a new track than to have Hank drive the car for a few laps and then swap seat to have if get me going. We talked a bit about the mess going on in GGR and I'll be interested to see how Buttonwillow goes.

I'll definitely see you in Thunderhill, but I'll miss TracQuest at BW as that's the same day as the Sea Otter Classic Mt Bike race (and I'm riding in it).
Old 02-20-2004, 09:09 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Tom,

Do you really want to tempt fate again at the start of the DE season???
Old 02-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, last years collar bone bonanza started 5 days before the Sea Otter during a training ride. If nothing else, I'll have 7 track days and an autocross done by then this year. Not only that, but with all the bone growth required to heal the multiple fractures, I must have the strongest collar bones on the planet - who else has gone down that slippery slope and done both? I'm not worried (I'm not worried, I'm not worried).
Old 02-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Kim,
Do you have the tie downs from Robins site? I'm thinking of getting them
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Kim,

I was able to jack up the car and look at what I have this afternoon. I think I have the same problem. Appears that the tie down will only clear the link at horizontal, if they would fit at all. Not sure if I could us the upper mount as it may hit the sway bar.

According to my mechanic, he ties downs his customers cars in his transporter with axle straps directly onto the subframe or a crossmember in the tranny area, and recommended I do the same. My first tow is this up coming weekend, so I'll have to figure something out by then.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2004, 03:07 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

mmmmm yummy looking suspension.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:25 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Kevin

I didn't realize that you had the ERP arm. Yes, doubtful that the Autometrics thing would work for you in the rear. You can always use a tire strap through the wheels and then connect to a tie down strap. For the fronts, I use:

They just fit into the front tie down slot on the chassis, turn and then they are locked in. Easy to put on and take off. The Autometrics ones I just thought were a little weak, and they always hang down and you can see them under the car.

Greg F, these are even better ones than those that I sent you you earlier. These have the big moveable link at the end which prevents any binding. I can send you a pair of these if you want.

Quick Reply: trade tie down loops for door caps?