Throttle Cable Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:30 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle Cable Adjustment

I would like to check and adjust, if needed, the throttle cable. Can someone post a link to a procedure or at least give me a short rundown of what is involved and where the adjustment takes place?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:19 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kim,

If you'll do a search in the 993 forum for a thread entitled "Throttle Position Sensor Circuit" you'll find a description offered by Boris Tekslar on how to check if the adjustment is correct. It is about the third or fourth entry in that thread.

I haven't found the procedure to adjust the cable, if required.

Good Luck Kim,
chuck
Old 02-20-2004, 01:21 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I read that and it's not quite what I'm looking for.

On a cable type throttle there is usually a provision to adjust the cable slack due to cable stretch over the years. It must be in the pedal area or at the intake side of the cable. I wanted to know where that adjustment is made and how to do it.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

KK,

There is a turnbuckle adjustment for the throttle cable behind the throttle pedal. You'll have to "unsnap" the plastic foot pedal from the actuator arm and pull up the floorboard. You'll see the adjustment. Requires two open end wrenches. 10 mm ?

Pull up the carpet first and get in there with a flashlight. Mash the throttle with your hand. On the back (forward side) of the pedal there is a "boss" that sticks out and should just touch the plastic stop that is part of the floorboard surrounding the pedal cluster. It's a feel thing. If the pedal hits the stop and wants to keep on going, then you need to adjust for WOT. If the pedal stops before hitting the stop, you're getting WOT, but are stretching the cable at WOT.

If you have to actually make an adjustment, you'll have to do so and then reassemble everything to see if the throttle just "kisses" the plastic floorboard stop at WOT. I had to play with this when I installed my AJ-USA pedal set. Kind of a PITA. I got it about perfect.

Next time in the shop I had them check it for me (must have been via the "Throttle Position Sensor Circuit" readout that Chuck talks about). Shop said the throttle was at 98% of WOT with the pedal full forward. Not bad. I had them adjust it to 102% of course.....

Your shop should be able to check this for you as well.

Robin's website shows some pics: http://p-car.com/diy/pedal/

Watching the WX Channel this AM and they are predicting some snow for you this weekend? Too bad.

Ciao

Last edited by mike cap; 02-20-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Kelly, are we getting photos of this car anytime soon? You sound pretty fearless in jumping right in on the DIY stuff. Is this car not already well-sorted? BTW, your cd is in the mail. PHOTOS!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 07:50 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike- Thanks for the procedure on doing this. I'll give it a try this weekend... I was just under there last weekend lubing the pedal pivots to try and lighten the clutch pedal pressure... no luck.

Instead of making you do all that to adjust the throttle cable, why couldn't they have just provided an adjustment at the intake end of the cable... unless, of course, it is not accessible back there. As far as having my mechanic check it out... I'm it. I don't let anyone else fool with my cars unless I feel the job is beyond my ability to learn and handle. Not many Porsche mechanics here in Hootersville in Hawaii.

Snow, huh? I'll be lying on the beach with beer in hand waiting for it.

Rick- fearless maybe, but not foolish. See how many posts I have on the small stuff to make sure I have the collective wisdom of the board before jumping in? The CD will definitely help in boosting my confidence in tackling larger, more complex issues in the future. (did someone mention suspension? ) Thanks a million for helping out w/ a copy. Much appreciate the effort.

I hesitate about posting pics of another PS car. Seems like there have been a ton of this color lately on the board. Car needs a little TLC to bring it back into top shape. Basically it's in very good to excellent shape. PO (first owner) had all maintenance done, but was no crazy about the car as those of us here. It is a great starting place for the ride down the slippery slope.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:10 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

yup, but you got to admit polar silver is such a great color. and your marble interior just like mine is awesome, but hard to keep clean.

-nels

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Adjustment