Tires for '97 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nile13
Did they replace Kumho MX or Kumho 712? What exactly do you like about S-03s better than Kumhos?
I appreciate your answers, as I think tires are the singular most important part of teh car's handling
Kumho Ecsta 712s. The SO3s have a lot more grip, a much better ride (which even my wife noticed), and are quieter. Sure, they cost more, but it's been well worth it. Don't get me wrong -- I got a lot of miles out of my Ecsta 712s (18k miles on the rears, over 25k on the fronts), but I prefer the better handling/ride of the SO3s, even with a price premium.

Don't know what the longevity will be, as I've only put a couple thousand miles on them thus far.

-Chris
Old 02-21-2004, 07:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Chris, I had 712s on a street BMW cab for 3.5 years and was not at all impressed with them. They lacked in ultimate grip and what grip they had went down the drain after about 10K fairly benign street miles. There was about 1/2 the tread left, perhaps more, but the tires were useless.
I also had S-03s on my autocross/street car (mid-engine, supercharged light car). Unlike great majority of people I've spoken to, I did not like them. They felt gerasy to me, I can not describe it any different. They had very decent amounts of ultimate grip, but I could feel the tread squirm and the tires bend their knees, so to speak. I sold them after about 2K miles, maybe a bit less. The strangest part is that my autocross times on them were pretty good, so the tire has both grip and transition ability. It's just that I personally did not like the feel. Others I spoke to like them a lot, especially in the wet.
What I've been referring to is Kumho MX. I just put a pair on the back of my car and the drive home felt very nice. The grip seems to be there in the drizzling rain, although, of course, I was not pushing them. I'll report in a while on what I think of them. So far I love Kumho Victoracers, dislike 712s and _really_ don't like 711s. I think MXs will be fine for street tires.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info on the MXs. The 712s were on my car when I bought it. Since the rears wear out before the fronts, I replaced the rears with another set of 712s, but had planned to swap brands when the fronts wore out (which is what happened a couple months ago). So, those are the only two tires I've had on this car thus far.

What's the current street price on the MX?

-Chris
Old 02-21-2004, 11:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

MXs are 130 for the rears, 118 for the fronts from TireRack. Not bad, considering.

Quick Reply: Tires for '97 Targa