Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with car locking itself

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019 | 05:34 PM
Jay777
Pro

Originally Posted by palladio
Thanks for all the advice. The door switch would make sense. I don't remember the car doing this before this year, and I had the driver's door check strap repaired. They may not have connected things properly when putting the door back on. I also just noticed that the side view mirrors are all operating in reverse order from the switch (i.e. the left mirror moves when the toggle switch is pushed to the right, and goes down when I press up). Maybe that connector was hooked up backwards?
The door switches are OPEN when the door is closed so a DISCONNECTED switch will be interpreted as a CLOSED door, allowing the auto re-lock regardless of door position (Bad).
As for the mirror switch - pop the entire assembly out and rotate it 180. (The L/R selector should be aft of the round button).
Old 07-22-2019 | 07:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Jay,

Good call. Forgot the switch could be installed 180 off.
Old 07-22-2019 | 09:15 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Jay, thanks for the advice on the mirror switch! Why didn't I think of that? Geez.....
Old 07-22-2019 | 09:17 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Now for the door open connection. That makes sense now that you've explained how the circuit works. Where should I start looking for the connector, in the frunk?
Old 07-22-2019 | 09:44 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Now for the door open connection. That makes sense now that you've explained how the circuit works. Where should I start looking for the connector, in the frunk?
Pull the switch out and check those connections first. May be that simple as a wire off the switch itself. Five minute fix (maybe).
Old 07-22-2019 | 10:26 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay777
As for the mirror switch - pop the entire assembly out and rotate it 180. (The L/R selector should be aft of the round button).
^ friggin brilliant.
Old 07-23-2019 | 02:07 AM
Jay777
Pro

Can’t help you out there but do yourself a favor and see if opening the passenger door defeats the 60 second auto re-lock. Both door switches are wired together so that either door opening gives the alarm control unit a switched ground that defeats the re-lock. If the passenger door defeats the relock, it’ll rule out a problem with the alarm control unit (unlikely). More likely it’s related to the door strap work that was done.
Old 07-24-2019 | 10:07 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

I'm almost positive that my '97 requires the key actually be put in the ignition before the re-lock is defeated...simply opening the door doesn't do it.
Old 07-24-2019 | 12:56 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Allen
I'm almost positive that my '97 requires the key actually be put in the ignition before the re-lock is defeated...simply opening the door doesn't do it.
Allen, owners manual says doors and that has been my experience many times.
Old 07-25-2019 | 06:08 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. After almost 10 years of owning my 993, I don't believe my car has this auto locking feature. Or maybe it does but I have never unlocked the car without opening the door within 60 seconds. I'll have to try this!
Old 11-12-2019 | 08:22 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Apologies for the delayed reply, but wanted to follow up. I've been away for work a lot and the car has mostly been in storage. I finally got time to troubleshoot it today.

All the advice above is correct. The body shop buggered up my door switch on the driver's side when they repaired the check strap. Without an operable switch, the alarm/locking system thinks the door is closed and automatically relocks the car after sixty seconds. So even if the car is running and I get out for a minute, it will lock me out of the car. Also, the interior dome lights do not come on when the door is opened, so that is the most obvious indication of a bad switch.

As for my side mirror problem, the body shop reinstalled the control switch backwards, so the toggle is facing forward not aft Hence everything works in the opposite direction.

Thanks for all the help! The door switch didn't want to pop out. Is there a procedure to remove it?

Last edited by palladio; 11-13-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2019 | 10:11 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the follow-up...glad you got it sorted out.
Old 11-13-2019 | 04:52 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Allen
Thanks for the follow-up...glad you got it sorted out.
I was able to sort out the mirror control switch. Just pulled it out and reversed it. It has a pressure spring fitting on one side and snaps out easily with a trim removal tool. Have to admit I feel like a bit of an idiot for not figuring it out, but grateful that folks here gave me the solution without busting my chops about it.

Wasn't able to fix the lockout issue yet as the door jamb switch is stuck/broken. I've ordered a new switch and will follow up once I've installed it. It looks like an easy job to unscrew and replace. I'm just hoping the wire to the switch is intact because that may be pain to get to if it's broken. That problem was more insidious. I had no idea about the 60 second auto-lock feature even after owning 993s for many years. I never noticed it because it worked as intended. No big deal until the door position switch fails and the car locks itself while running in a car wash. Not fun!

Last edited by palladio; 11-13-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2019 | 07:16 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for this thread. My 96 993TT has been exhibiting similar behavior for a few years now. (Doesn't get driven much).

I wasn't aware of the fact that opening the door disabled the auto lock. Plus I have also noticed the interior lights do not come on when the door is opened.

Never had any work done to the door or strap so just a switch gone bad I guess.

Thanks again RL

Quick Reply: Problem with car locking itself