993 Forum 1995-1998

Cleaned my ISV

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:37 AM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Cleaned my ISV

So I cleaned my ISV last night (97 C4). It was successful and I did notice a cleaner idle.

The process took longer than it needs to. While it looks real accessible, it's a bit of a pain to get the rear hose off. In my opinion, it's was even tougher getting it back on.

After it's done, my hunch is that leaving it connected, removing the front hose only (takes 30 seconds) and spraying some carb cleaner in there would fix all but the worst cases.

When it comes time to do it again, I'll be spraying cleaner from the front, letting it dry and going for a ride. Just a thought for those looking for an easier way. . .

Last edited by PFDGSB; 07-20-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-20-2019, 12:54 AM
AZ993
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! That was one of my first DIY projects last year when I got the car. Then it was onto: door pocket reinforcements, TORE LED external lights, morimoto projectors, fixing the front seat rocking on rails... the fun never ends!

From what I remember, a few of the DIY threads on this suggested switching the clamp orientations so they’re easier to access and unscrew the next time around.

Also I think another recommendation was a bit of soapy water on the external body of the ISV when you go to slide it back in.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a lot easier on a Non-Vram. When I fitted the Vram manifold I did a couple of things to make access easier. I put an extra spacer in the engine mounts (RS) to lower it 5mm and removed the sound insulation ( not all will want to do this) the bare studs were covered with rubber bungs to save my knuckles. It also made it easier refitting the airbox. removing the insulation did increase engine noise in the cabin and heat transfer but I can live with it.
The following users liked this post:
Ryanrayburn (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:40 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It is a bit of a pain to get it out and back in.
A good thought to not completely remove it. This also avoids detaching the electrical connection.
On will still need to check that the internal valve rocks back and forth freely. Maybe this can be done in place by gently touching the internal part with a screwdriver after it is cleaned and see if it wobbles back and forth freely.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Can anyone describe the symptoms that indicate an ISV cleanout might be needed? My 97 has what I first thought was a lumpy idle but I've grown accustomed to it like I have the gas/oil smell.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:50 PM
dmaxd03
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don’t know the last time it was done, you are probably due. It’s a relatively simple procedure, except for the difficulty of getting the isv back in. Be prepared to be frustrated. It took me 30 min of messing with it, then it just fit. Still not sure why it finally worked. Not so scary I wouldn’t do it again, but I would make sure I am not on a time deadline.

My symptom was a low idle, stalling at stops when the car wasn’t warmed up. Isv fixed it.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

@Jay777 Consider getting some carb cleaner, remove the front hose (easy to do) and spraying some carb cleaner in there (engine off). Let it be for a few minutes to dry (carb cleaner evaporates quickly) and see if your if your idle improves.

There is a little valve in there almost like it's on a pintle (although it will be horizontal the way you'll be looking at it). Take something small (small rubber hose?) and move the valve - it should move pretty freely after you clean it. If it does, it's likely that the isv is not too bad. Just MHO.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:11 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Good info dmax and PFD. I’ll put it on the “to do” list.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PFDGSB
Let it be for a few minutes to dry (carb cleaner evaporates quickly) and see if your if your idle improves.
I'm probably OCD and AR but when cleaning deposits by using solvents, I like to flush the crud out rather than relocate it where it'll probably just go right back.
Then again, if it's easy to spray, you can do it as often as you need to
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Before you use carb cleaner, check the MSDS to be certain that it does not contain acetone.

Quick Reply: Cleaned my ISV