993 Forum 1995-1998

Flachbau Edition Of The 911 Turbo S 3.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Weren't decklid scripts installed at the dealership and not by PCNA? I remember being told I could have just about anything (periods, commas, chrome, black, C2, C4, RS, etc.) put on the rear (I chose nothing), you just had to ask.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may be too late, but here's a good example of a Turbo 3.6 "S" with the flatnose option:

http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door17.htm
Old 02-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default www.flachbau.com - website sneak preview and fact checker

Originally Posted by Adrian
The factory photos of the Flachbau do not show an S. They actually show Turbo 3 6 (notice no dot) in silver script. It may be that some US customers requested an S, however I have never seen the "S" used apart from the genuine 1992 Turbo S and the Turbo S2 in the USA.
The official name for these Turbos by the way is "Turbo 3.6 Flachbau" with a M64/50S engine. The series are known as the Turbo 3.6 S because there were two versions, one with normal nose and one with the flat nose. If you ordered one back on 1994 you would have asked for a Flachbau.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Adrian,

Sorry to correct you with respect to the badging but the later factory flatnose cars were badged 'Turbo S" and not by request of each owner. They were badged that way by Porsche in response to dealer complaint that the 3.6 Turbo badging was poor for marketing and did not differentiate these cars from the standard 3.6 Turbo even though they cost $60,000+ more. Please read the two PCNA memorandums on my website which clearly refer to the "Turbo S".

My website is not complete yet, but for sake of clarity in this thread (and to support the claims of PRSCHA and Cobalt) here is a link to an advanced viewing of the site). Enjoy!

http://www.flachbau.com/1994s.html
Old 02-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's one belonging to member of Hurricane PCA

Here is a red one belonging to a member of the Huricane region PCA at a local concours.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by sinfulsteve
Here is a red one belonging to a member of the Huricane region PCA at a local concours.
Cool! Can you provide me with further detail or put me in touch with the owner?

Mark
Old 02-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he is a local collector. Has several turbos and probably got his Carrera GT last fall. I do not have his email address, but may see him or his son this Saturday. I would need their permission to let anyone contact them. They are very nice people but I would feel remiss giving out information. I know his cars are not generally for sale.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

mark, cant you get any further over? Lets see a pic of the knee down side!!! :-)
Old 02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by sinfulsteve
he is a local collector. Has several turbos and probably got his Carrera GT last fall. I do not have his email address, but may see him or his son this Saturday. I would need their permission to let anyone contact them. They are very nice people but I would feel remiss giving out information. I know his cars are not generally for sale.
Sounds like Les Brun. It's hard to tell these cars apart from one photo but he does have a red one. If it's him then I don't need further info as his car is already well documented on the website. FYI, I don't buy these cars - I already have the one I need . I am just looking to contact the owners I haven't yet met to add their cars to the site.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by blickie
mark, cant you get any further over? Lets see a pic of the knee down side!!! :-)
Heh that was after lunch ... I couldn't get my *** off the seat!

Ok how about this one ... is that low enough for you?
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2005, 05:00 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S.
Sounds like Les Brun. It's hard to tell these cars apart from one photo but he does have a red one. If it's him then I don't need further info as his car is already well documented on the website. FYI, I don't buy these cars - I already have the one I need . I am just looking to contact the owners I haven't yet met to add their cars to the site.
Hey Mark, that one's not mine. Mine is currently at my house in Scottsdale and has been modified by Technodyne in Tempe. Bet my flames are bigger than yours!!! LOL. I drive that sucker as much as I can and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I'm looking (ok, don't laugh or throw flames) for a dead stock, low mileage example to put in the garage. PCNA have agreed to take my car back to stock at the factory if I want, but I'm having WAY too much fun with it. Good to see you're still kicking around, buddy.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
tlark
Drifting

Enteresting thread, and thank for the site link. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know that much about these cars, among a few others too. I assume they don't come up for sale that often and when they do, its time to buck up.

Also, would this be considered as one of the more collectable street version p-cars over the last 20 years ??
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Larkins
Also, would this be considered as one of the more collectable street version p-cars over the last 20 years ??
I think so ... and it is perhaps the rarest US delivered full factory car (not Andial prepped like the S2, not gray market like the 959 or 92' Turbo S, etc.).

As to price, low mileage examples are going for $120k to $130K. Otherwise they don't sell these days for less than $100K unless there is a problem.

Last edited by Mark S.; 02-15-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by labcars
Hey Mark, that one's not mine. Mine is currently at my house in Scottsdale and has been modified by Technodyne in Tempe. Bet my flames are bigger than yours!!! LOL. I drive that sucker as much as I can and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I'm looking (ok, don't laugh or throw flames) for a dead stock, low mileage example to put in the garage. PCNA have agreed to take my car back to stock at the factory if I want, but I'm having WAY too much fun with it. Good to see you're still kicking around, buddy.
I'm still kicking. Finally getting the flachbau.com website together thanks to the programming efforts of a good friend. The final version will have a lot of info on the individual cars by VIN# (particularly the USA cars - thanks to rennlister PRSCHA). I'll send you a private email as to what I'm doing these days. Maybe you'll have a lead for me. And, yes your flames may be bigger but as the French say "size and significance are seldom synonymous" .... but then that's the French
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
The factory photos of the Flachbau do not show an S. They actually show Turbo 3 6 (notice no dot) in silver script. It may be that some US customers requested an S, however I have never seen the "S" used apart from the genuine 1992 Turbo S and the Turbo S2 in the USA.
The official name for these Turbos by the way is "Turbo 3.6 Flachbau" with a M64/50S engine. The series are known as the Turbo 3.6 S because there were two versions, one with normal nose and one with the flat nose. If you ordered one back on 1994 you would have asked for a Flachbau.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Actually the 3.6 Turbo S was both the "Flachbau" and the non-Flatnose USA only "Package" car. The 'S' is actually in reference to the motor (M64/50S) not the body type and both of these cars had the 'S' motor as compared to the standard 3.6 turbo motor (M64/50).

Again as to the script, what you don't yet see on the website yet is that before the USA delivered cars were in production dealers had complained about the script and if any car came with a script by special request it would have to have been the turbo 3.6 script on the car in the Excellence article.

Here are a few facts:

VIN# 480399 has the turbo S script with a finished production date of 11/15/93.

VIN# 480404 was one of the factory show cars and it has the turbo S script, its finished production date was 12/3/93.

VIN# 480412 was the Excellence article car and its finshed producton date was 11/18/93.

go figure ....
Old 02-15-2005, 11:21 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S.
I'm still kicking. Finally getting the flachbau.com website together thanks to the programming efforts of a good friend. The final version will have a lot of info on the individual cars by VIN# (particularly the USA cars - thanks to rennlister PRSCHA). I'll send you a private email as to what I'm doing these days. Maybe you'll have a lead for me. And, yes your flames may be bigger but as the French say "size and significance are seldom synonymous" .... but then that's the French
LOL, careful, Mark, Im half french! I'd love to hear what you're up to and if I can help.......... Can't wait to see the improved site. Best, Les

Quick Reply: Flachbau Edition Of The 911 Turbo S 3.6