Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

bragging on a date and my car stalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man i had the EXACT same problem!! When i went on a date with this girl the first time with her, i went with my pick up truck and as soon as i turned into her street, my truck stalled. It never started back up again!! I got it towed to my house but i didnt have cash on me. He wanted 120$ cash only. So he ended up impounding my truck and didnt give me the chance to go to the bank to get some cash.. It cost me 500$ to get my truck back! All this because a stupid fuse burned up!

A few months later i go out with the same girl the second time! As a joke i said my truck shouldnt break down again. Mind you my truck has NEVER broken down on me, only when i was with her the first time ever. So 5 min. into driving with her in the passnger seat, my ABS light came on, check engine light, battery light You name it!!!! My truck stalled again and never started back up. The next thing i did was look at her and laugh and say wow you really are bad luck!! hahaha What happened was my alternator gave out on me. So i had to get my truck towed back home again!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:03 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a date like this once. My car was towed away when we were having dinner (the only time in my entire 18+ years of driving). The good thing is that it was the most convenient and the only way to get rid of the girl.
Win some, loose some.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the starter turns over and the dash warning lights
are illuminated; the fault could be your DME relay.

You shouldn't rule out the possibility of extra terrestrials
trying to manipulate the situation.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:52 AM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. This is the truth, no BS. I can drive around for weeks with absolutely no problems. I notice that EVERY TIME my wife gets in the car, the CEL comes on. She gets out. I start the car back up and the light is out. It's the weirdest thing. She got mad at me because the last time it happened, I banned her from riding in the car. But this has happened at least 4-5 times.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:07 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Kevin, does it happen with any other passengers?
This is a serious question, as I think it might be an issue with the wiring harness under the passenger seat.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:20 PM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

ok just finished talking to the mechanic at the dealership -- he says the problem was the alternator belt that was "burned up" (although it was only 2 months ago that he replaced all my belts) and that
Old 02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

darn ......... sorry meant complete it ... anyway replacing and readjusting the belt was under warranty. he also said the battery itself was holding it's charge poorly and will need to be replaced and that i'll have to pay for that part. the battery isn't under warranty even though the dealership replaced it only a year ago ...... because of the few miles that i've driven this year and i've not used a battery maintainer. hmmmmmmmmmmmm all of it is suspect i think.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:39 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Default Battery

ksjcorpus,
I've been very happy with Optima Red Tops (on and off road), long term, indestructable (within reason!) easy to find.

likely cheaper than OEM battery.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

All new batteries have a warranty. If the battery is only a year old, you should at least get a pro-rated price on its warranty. At only a year old, your pro-rated price shouldn't be much. Unless you didn't buy your battery where the car is now. In which case, they won't honor the warranty for a battery they don't sell. But, it sounds like you're working with the same place ("dealer") that sold you the battery a year ago.

Hope they've fixed your problem. It's not reassuring when they give you more than one failure mechanism (no smoking gun), and it makes you wonder if you're being charged for something you don't need. Though, it seems likely one of the two things they're changing (belt, battery) will fix your problem.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

as far as the belts go, there is a pulley upgrade. I just finished fixing the same problem on my C4S. Before that, had gone through 4-5 alternator belts.

Quick Reply: bragging on a date and my car stalled