993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! Lost fob, no spare.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:38 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help! Lost fob, no spare.

Long time 993 owner here, 20 or so years, now on my 3rd one and have logged close to 100K miles both daily driving and now as a weekend driver. Yes I've read lots of threads on the immobilizer etc.

My current '96 993 is the first one I've bought with only one set of keys. Knew I better have a spare but the dealer wanted $650. So I bought blanks and the fob from Suncoast for somewhat less. Took the car and the key/fob to San Diego Porsche on Miramar Road to get the spare fob programmed (quoted $200 for that if I remember correctly). Wasted $80 on Uber and several hours of my day, only to be told when I returned that they couldn't figure out how to program the fob. So I sort of gave up and forgot about it.

Fast forward to today. Somehow managed to lose my one working key/fob. Don't ask. Car is in my garage, and I do have a key cut that will open the door and turn in the ignition. Is there any way to start the car without the remote/fob? Not sure what to do at this point. If the dealer here couldn't even program a second fob with the car and a working remote in hand, I'm wondering WTF my options are now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:10 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Different dealer??
Hard to believe its any more complicated than reading the key and adding it to the key list in the ECU,,,
This has been pretty standard on the german rides since OBDII came out.
Last I checked you have to have the car at the dealer to get the key bonded to the car.

Got a new one for my car last week, was very drama free.

03 C4 Cab...
Old 06-14-2019, 06:21 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Different dealer??
Hard to believe its any more complicated than reading the key and adding it to the key list in the ECU,,,
This has been pretty standard on the german rides since OBDII came out.
Last I checked you have to have the car at the dealer to get the key bonded to the car.

Got a new one for my car last week, was very drama free.

03 C4 Cab...
That's what I thought. Car was at dealer. No luck. Now car is stuck in garage with no fob!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:48 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Car...8AAOSwGvhT0ZnP

https://www.ecudoctors.com/porsche-9...361825902.html

Yes with electronic fobs it is easy to get stranded. It is even worse with some modern car's fobs that can't be programmed by the dealer and have to be sent away for as one's car sits.
To mitigate this, we take two complete sets of keys with us when we go on road trips in our other car.
I have two sets of 993 keys and keep an extra fob and fresh battery in the frunk in case of a fob failure while not home.
Also, many new and used ones on eBay, If you buy a used one verify the FCC number is correct for a 993. It is usually printed on the outside of the housing. I believe all switchblade style Porsche remotes are for a 993 however the key and separate fob style housing was also used with the 924S, the 944, the 1995 993 and some folks have switched out their switchblade key gut into the 944 housing so not all of them work with a 993 even though they look identical.
Andy
USA Catalog:

Last edited by pp000830; 06-14-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Yep.......... car hasn’t to be at the dealer.........good luck and let us know how it comes out...........
Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Your Ebay link seems to be for a 95 fob vs the 96 or 97-98. Will that work on the later cars? The Ebay page seems to indicate it will work with all years but the document image separates into the different years.

Originally Posted by pp000830

Yes with electronic fobs it is easy to get stranded. It is even worse with some modern car's fobs that can't be programmed by the dealer and have to be sent away for as one's car sits.
To mitigate this, we take two complete sets of keys with us when we go on road trips in our other car.
I have two sets of 993 keys and keep an extra fob and fresh battery in the frunk in case of a fob failure while not home.
Also, many new and used ones on eBay, If you buy a used one verify the FCC number is correct for a 993. It is usually printed on the outside of the housing. I believe all switchblade style Porsche remotes are for a 993 however the key and separate fob style housing was also used with the 924S, the 944, the 1995 993 and some folks have switched out their switchblade key gut into the 944 housing so not all of them work with a 993 even though they look identical.
Andy
USA Catalog:

Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmorat
Your Ebay link seems to be for a 95 fob vs the 96 or 97-98. Will that work on the later cars? .
Not likely, easy to check have the seller post the FCC license number printed on the fob case. If it is the same as on a fob for a later year car it will otherwise no.
There are other fob offerings on eBay, in fact, one seller is selling a pair of fobs in one auction. eBay=buyer beware.
Andy
Old 06-14-2019, 12:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-OEM-PO...sAAOSwqKNcLTl6

This one includes the FCC number
Old 06-14-2019, 01:25 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830

Andy
USA Catalog:

FYI: I have two (2) keys and (two) key fobs, spare battery , and one (1) key in a weatherproof magnetic box under the car. My reasoning: my mother told me when I was a little boy that "I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my neck."
I'll see you July 4th.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Programming a 993 immobilizer is very simple:

1. Open door, insert key, and turn key to run mode. Immobilizer light should come on.
2. After about 15 seconds, the light should go out. Turn key off then on (cycle key).
3. After about 15 seconds, the light will start to flash. Cycle the key to enter each of the four digits. Wait about a second between each digit.
4. If the code is correct, the light will begin to flash. Depress the button on each of remotes.
5. Turn the key off, exit the vehicle, close the door, and test each remote.

If step #3 doesn't occur, the ignition switch is bad. The immobilizer then needs to be programmed externally. Many who repair Porsche ECUs can do this.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 PM
silvewrc2s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just took my car with immobilizer issues to the local shop, I have a bad immobilizer "brain".

He is replacing the whole unit with a third party fob for about $200. He says a refurb immobilizer will run about $1000. I have 100k miles so factory wasn't that important.

Maybe that could be an option for you as well.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the useful info. After several more hours of searching, I found the working key/fob stuck down in the back seat seatbelt well of another one of my cars. I'm surprised I found it, could have been there for a long time and I'd never have seen it the way it was lodged. Now I have to get the spare one programmed pronto!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Programming a 993 immobilizer is very simple:

1. Open door, insert key, and turn key to run mode. Immobilizer light should come on.
2. After about 15 seconds, the light should go out. Turn key off then on (cycle key).
3. After about 15 seconds, the light will start to flash. Cycle the key to enter each of the four digits. Wait about a second between each digit.
4. If the code is correct, the light will begin to flash. Depress the button on each of remotes.
5. Turn the key off, exit the vehicle, close the door, and test each remote.

If step #3 doesn't occur, the ignition switch is bad. The immobilizer then needs to be programmed externally. Many who repair Porsche ECUs can do this.
I don't have a card with the code. This is something I can only obtain from a dealer correct?

Also, if I do this on my spare key and get it wrong, won't it also reset the system so that my currently operational key is no longer useable? If so that's a risk I'd rather not take. I need to find a dealer who knows how to do the job I guess. Not sure why Miramar Porsche couldn't figure it out. They are a major dealership that also has an official "classics" division selling older/vintage Porsches.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by silvewrc2s
I just took my car with immobilizer issues to the local shop, I have a bad immobilizer "brain".

He is replacing the whole unit with a third party fob for about $200. He says a refurb immobilizer will run about $1000. I have 100k miles so factory wasn't that important.

Maybe that could be an option for you as well.
A "refurb" unit is typically $375. Where did that $1000 come from?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by palladio
What do you mean by "each of the four digits"? Where do I find these numbers?

Also, if I do this on my spare key and get it wrong, is there a possibility it will also reset something in the system so that my currently operational key is no longer useable?
The four digits are typically on the immobilizer info card inserted with the owners/service manuals. If it's not there, then one needs to contact a Porsche dealer.
Both keys (original/new) must be coded at the same time when the light begins flashing, or the original won't function and the procedure must be repeated.

Quick Reply: Help! Lost fob, no spare.