993 Forum 1995-1998

Chestnut Brown Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Chestnut Brown Upholstery

The good and bad about owning a car with a "rare" color interior. I've been scouring the internet (and local upholstery shop) for any form of the upholstery (vinyl/leather) but have had no success. Asked Global Upholstery to send me some samples of dark red/brown Porsche swatches but none matched. So if one were to want to replace an interior piece that's fading or the like, what would the remedy be? I ordered the "colourlock" dye product and it wasn't really close in color either.

Does anyone have any information, suggestions, or ideas that they could possibly share? FWIW, the Porsche color codes for Chestnut Brown are BG, BM, BX (what do the letters that proceed the B imply...materials?).

A picture of the interior color for reference below.

Thanks,

Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you have a leather dye kit with a few alternate color dyes, where none match perfectly, consider mixing them in various ratios looking for a match. My inclination is that if the dyes are water base they can be tinted with artists acrylic paint if oil base they can be tinted with artist's oil paints. Get some scrap leather and an artist's paint set to try it out first. I made a very successful leather touch-up for a yellow leather using a mixture of artists acrylic paint and Johnsons Paste Wax to fill in scratches through the smooth top layer of the leather, worked great.
A little ingenuity and willingness to experiment is the key.
Andy
Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

^ Thank you, Andy.....much appreciated. I'd love to be able to find some material nonetheless. Again, thanks.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:56 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

In the event you don't succeed in your quest to find material, consider Color-Plus. Contact Joanne Price at 570-686-3158 or Admin@colorplus.com. If you can provide a sample, she usually can match it with more than 99% accuracy.

I used her products to redye (brush-applied) both leather and vinyl portions of my Classic Gray interior five or six years ago. I have been pleased with the results.

The interior of another car had aged to about five different shades of off-white. I found a PCA member who operates a mobile business providing interior repair and restoration services for auto retailers. He matched the target color perfectly (spray-applied) and, more importantly, made the interior color uniform again.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I have used Rick at Fibrenew West (west@fibrenew.com) for years and he is great. Fibernew is a big company with franchisees around the country. He did a great job doing a color change on a Rear Seat Delete from classic grey to cedar green. They also do leather and vinyl repairs.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimPA
In the event you don't succeed in your quest to find material, consider Color-Plus. Contact Joanne Price at 570-686-3158 or Admin@colorplus.com. If you can provide a sample, she usually can match it with more than 99% accuracy.

I used her products to redye (brush-applied) both leather and vinyl portions of my Classic Gray interior five or six years ago. I have been pleased with the results.

The interior of another car had aged to about five different shades of off-white. I found a PCA member who operates a mobile business providing interior repair and restoration services for auto retailers. He matched the target color perfectly (spray-applied) and, more importantly, made the interior color uniform again.
I think this is what I’ll ultimately do (mobile service).....thank you!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I have used Rick at Fibrenew West (west@fibrenew.com) for years and he is great. Fibernew is a big company with franchisees around the country. He did a great job doing a color change on a Rear Seat Delete from classic grey to cedar green. They also do leather and vinyl repairs.
Will call my local rep.....thank you!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:07 AM
sub-zero
Banned

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

call them i had the same problem

https://www.hydesleather.com/
Old 06-07-2019, 11:20 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sub-zero
call them i had the same problem

https://www.hydesleather.com/
will do and thanks.....were they able to provide you with the exact color upholstery material?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:46 PM
sub-zero
Banned

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
will do and thanks.....were they able to provide you with the exact color upholstery material?
yes just talked to them today , next week they will send me sample mine is Flamenco Red

but they are not cheap !
Old 06-08-2019, 11:00 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sub-zero
yes just talked to them today , next week they will send me sample mine is Flamenco Red

but they are not cheap !
Spoke to Alexis today.....fortunately they know OF the interior color, but unfortunately may only have the material in leather. She sent a sample in the mail which I'll use to determine if it's the right color match. If it is, she'll then call the main warehouse to see if they have the matching color in vinyl.

What are Chestnut interior owners to do if they need new seat covers done, rear parcel shelf recovered, door trim pieces re-covered, if there isn't any of the original color material to be had? Do they just use alternate colored OEM seat covers/trim pieces and have them re-sprayed?
Old 07-06-2019, 05:09 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

In hopes to help fellow Chestnut interior owners, this is what my research found,

-Early original Porsche Chestnut interior at the supplier/manufacturing level has been discontinued (according to GAAH). That doesn’t mean that the same color can’t be found via other suppliers/manufacturers. So I spent about thirty minutes with a locall auto upstolery shop who specializes in European autos going thru binders of swatches to see if we could find a close match. We snipped a piece of unmolested leather from the back of seat center cushion area, there was lots there. Here’s the leather material we found that looks to be a 98% to exact match.

Euro Autolux Leather
A-893
Burgundy
Jaguar 1960-1980

The only negative? I now have to find the same color but in vinyl. Will give Veteran Company a call on Monday.

Last edited by oalvarez; 09-01-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:41 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez

The only negative? I now have to find the same color but in vinyl. Will give Veteran Company a call on Monday.

Any new info on the vinyl? My dash is very faded due to sun, and I would to restore it.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:14 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Last edited by EDoyle; 09-21-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:21 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 86 Posts

PM sent

Quick Reply: Chestnut Brown Upholstery