993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking for good detailer, wrap, body shop in Los Angeles area

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for good detailer, wrap, body shop in Los Angeles area

I inquired about a detailer here a few months ago and was referred to a shop that does their work outdoors meaning wind, dirt, dust is ever present during the detail process. I find that to be completely absurd because unintended airborne contaminants can get in the car and there’s no way to control it if there is wind etc. There must be a decent place that operates indoors around here and does a good job for a fair price and that won’t destroy the black paint on my car so any suggestions would be great.

The next item is finding a body shop that is familiar with Porsche air cooled cars and how they go together properly. I’m planning on having the front bumper cover resprayed. Really need the kind of place that isn’t going to lose screws and put in whatever they can find or reassemble with wrong screws in wrong places or leave the car susceptible to overspray from other cars they are working on (I’ve seen it all before with so many things - not just cars- and I’d really really like to avoid problems if at all possible). If I sound cynical and suspicious of just about everyone it’s because I am. I think my home renovation project over the past few years led me to be this way since having a fully permitted job and bringing in licensed contractors meant pretty much nothing in terms of competency and proper workmanship and I wound up filing claims against 75% of the people who worked on my home with the state contractors licensing boards full support after they saw what went on. That aside I also had huge problems with a glass installer that Porsche had recommended leading to another claim. It’s pretty disappointing to experience such problems when one would think people are
competent at their trade but it’s just not so. I think it is very important to get great recommendations to at least have a fair chance of things getting done right but even then it’s not assured (rant over).

Lastly would be great to find a place that can install clear protective film on the bumper once it’s done and has had enough time to outgas. Also interested in having some other areas of the car wrapped in a gloss black if possible to conceal some road rash on rear fenders (previous owner removed the factory film and I didn’t realize the car should have it until the fenders got peppered from driving it a few thousand miles-oh well).

There are places around Westlake Village where I live that are pretty expensive and I’d pay up if I actually trusted that things would be done right but I don’t really have any way to validate how good these places are and I’m not about to trust reviews on Yelp or something like that since who knows who is writing those reviews or what their standards are. Anyway that’s the objective if anyone has some decent experience with shops doing this kind of work..thanks!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

::subscribed::
I'm also on the lookout for a really good paint/body shop, as I'm planning on doing pretty much the same project soon for my 993.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:09 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

For a body shop, I can recommend Avio Coach Craft in West Los Angeles. Bryan over there has past experience with air-cooled 911s, and they did a good job on my bumperette delete. DO NOT ever use Beverly Hills Porsche's body shop, Eli's. They were once great when the old man ran it, but now that the kids run it, it's awful.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 06-04-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detailer: Richard Lin @ Show car perfection in Tustin.
Richard also does clearbra/ppf.

Evan at Pacific Films does a great job too but he's backed up.

He wont oversell you on products, he's invented his own black shine product called black wow; Has his own coating called CS2 which he's perfected (He does have a Chem degree).
For the bodyshop work C&C Collision in Alhambra or Makito at Seven Apple (Bumpers /small things) does amazing work.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:15 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

body shop you have many great options in la. i have used all of the following with great results and i'm pickier than you but i'm also a nice guy. if you decide any of them let me know

http://www.marinawestautobody.com/
https://www.esporesto.com/

clear bra/wraps

https://www.carbynemotorsport.com/
http://westcoast-motorsport.com/clear-bra/
Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and more are certainly welcomed. I think this thread will be a good reference for me and others going forward.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

somebody fly @sander97C2 out to the west coast AFTER he is done with my elfer

Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

John Esposito in north Hollywood for bodyshop
Old 06-29-2019, 11:52 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
For a body shop, I can recommend Avio Coach Craft in West Los Angeles. Bryan over there has past experience with air-cooled 911s, and they did a good job on my bumperette delete. DO NOT ever use Beverly Hills Porsche's body shop, Eli's. They were once great when the old man ran it, but now that the kids run it, it's awful.
Unfortunately, I have to report back that this guy Bryan at Avio is a game player. He wanted me to bring the car in (perfectly reasonable request if the car was in an accident or he had not done the exact same job on a 993 before) but I sent him a number of high resolution photos, told him I was referred by someone who had the exact same work done and he’s telling me to go talk to my insurance co first. I told him that I would probably just pay him directly to keep things straight forward and that my insurer would pay me (the paint is spiderweb cracked under the clear protective film but the bumper isn’t damaged). This guy just doesn’t want to quote me and I’m too busy to make a special trip just for him to look at the car when he’s done this job before (I told him if anything wasn’t as expected I would be agreeable to an adjustment in price). If I was a bettin’ man I’d say he wants to size me up. See how I dress and what kind of wrist watch I’m wearing. You know the routine... All the better for him to price things accordingly and maximize what he can get me to pay (esp after I have some time invested). **** that, I’ve seen this bs too many times before and can detect it in the air. Just another shister as far as I’m concerned. I’m not playing.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:01 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Unfortunately, I have to report back that this guy Bryan at Avio is a game player. He wanted me to bring the car in (perfectly reasonable request if the car was in an accident or he had not done the exact same job on a 993 before) but I sent him a number of high resolution photos, told him I was referred by someone who had the exact same work done and he’s telling me to go talk to my insurance co first. I told him that I would probably just pay him directly to keep things straight forward and that my insurer would pay me (the paint is spiderweb cracked under the clear protective film but the bumper isn’t damaged). This guy just doesn’t want to quote me and I’m too busy to make a special trip just for him to look at the car when he’s done this job before (I told him if anything wasn’t as expected I would be agreeable to an adjustment in price). If I was a bettin’ man I’d say he wants to size me up. See how I dress and what kind of wrist watch I’m wearing. You know the routine... All the better for him to price things accordingly and maximize what he can get me to pay (esp after I have some time invested). **** that, I’ve seen this bs too many times before and can detect it in the air. Just another shister as far as I’m concerned. I’m not playing.
sorry to hear. i would call marina west you will get non of that bs
Old 06-29-2019, 06:00 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Yeah, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Bryan, since I recommended him. Might've been a different experience for me because my girlfriend lives only a few miles north of there and I can easily accommodate his reasonable request that he wants to see the car in person before quoting anything. Most body shops prefer that method over photos alone, especially if they don't know you or the car yet.

I'd suggest you find a body shop close to your home so you can bring it to them easily, or one that is happy to fill your special request of quoting all the work without seeing the car in person first.

Take care, and sorry it didn't work out. Based on my experience and work he did on my car, I'd still recommend him to others
Old 06-30-2019, 04:00 PM
rockdoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I took my Turbo to Glistening Perfection in Costa Mesa. Moe is as OCD with Porsches as well as other cars. He has a good connection with a body shop who did work on my front bumper and a few dents on my door before Moe did a complete detail, PPF on the front and CarPro ceramic coating. He removes all chrome, badges, mirrors and more to do the job right. It will take few weeks to complete but you'll never regret taking your car to Moe. I drove from SF bay area to have GP do the work. It's expensive but worthwhile if you want your car in show quality condition.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:39 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockdoc
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I took my Turbo to Glistening Perfection in Costa Mesa. Moe is as OCD with Porsches as well as other cars. He has a good connection with a body shop who did work on my front bumper and a few dents on my door before Moe did a complete detail, PPF on the front and CarPro ceramic coating. He removes all chrome, badges, mirrors and more to do the job right. It will take few weeks to complete but you'll never regret taking your car to Moe. I drove from SF bay area to have GP do the work. It's expensive but worthwhile if you want your car in show quality condition.
Funny, I used Moe and Glistening Perfection and had a less than a great experience with them and could NEVER recommend him.

Just goes to show you how two people can have similar work done with the same vendor and have a totally different experience

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 06-30-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:48 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

Bryan and Avio are expensive but do really good work. Go meet him and talk shop then make your conclusion. Don’t base your experience off of a phone call. All body shops will want to see a car before they quote.

i got a quote from glistening and was way over quoted for all the work as they tried to upsell me on everything.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by erikerik
All body shops will want to see a car before they quote.
+1 That's not an unreasonable request and it's not fair to attack the shop over it. OP if you owned a body shop you would demand to see cars in person before quoting work, too.

Quick Reply: Looking for good detailer, wrap, body shop in Los Angeles area