993 Forum 1995-1998

Dropping but fixing bump stop issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 04:40 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Dropping but fixing bump stop issue

Seen some threads on it but having a hard time finding them. If can point me in right direction or have and answer appreciate it.

On KW V3. Had it low but was hitting bump
stops. Raised it but want it back down. Without going crazy and trying to redo everything what’s the most effective way of getting the car lower without hitting bump stops?

I like how the car handles just fine, feels great at track and canyon but just want it a tad lower.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you sure you were hitting the bump stops? I find that my front sway bar links hit the control arm before the shock bottoms out. 993 Turbo with RS front sway bar.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JEllis
Are you sure you were hitting the bump stops? I find that my front sway bar links hit the control arm before the shock bottoms out. 993 Turbo with RS front sway bar.
Thought so. Felt pretty strong. Not that I can know for sure. Car was pretty low at the time and stopped with a raise. From what I had read about seemed like what I was experiencing.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Thought so. Felt pretty strong. Not that I can know for sure. Car was pretty low at the time and stopped with a raise. From what I had read about seemed like what I was experiencing.
It might be worth looking at the control arms and checking to see if there are marks from the sway bar link. I have basic sport height adjustable Bilsteins and H&R springs and the limiting factor for me is sway bar link. I plan on eventually replacing my front links with a shorter version that will give me some more clearance. Did you hear any groaning/body flex type of sound when only one front or rear wheel was compressed. Like going up a steep driveway at an angle?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:26 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JEllis
It might be worth looking at the control arms and checking to see if there are marks from the sway bar link. I have basic sport height adjustable Bilsteins and H&R springs and the limiting factor for me is sway bar link. I plan on eventually replacing my front links with a shorter version that will give me some more clearance. Did you hear any groaning/body flex type of sound when only one front or rear wheel was compressed. Like going up a steep driveway at an angle?
No sounds like that. Only thing would be if going over parking lot bump would bounce and feel like a thud.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I seem to recall the original OE struts on my 993 had what they call springs that were actually foam rubber collars on the strut rod. Is this what you are calling bump stops?
If yes it seems to me that hitting the bump stops on rough roads is a good thing as it protects the strut cartridge from bottoming out and getting damaged.
The only way I can see to avoid this issue is to look into struts made for lowering with a shorter body.
If your car is lowered more than the ROW lowered heigh I would not change the bump-stop function and just be happy it is there and working as it should.
See the attached chart:
Andy
Attached Images
Old 06-01-2019, 11:18 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
No sounds like that. Only thing would be if going over parking lot bump would bounce and feel like a thud.
I would be surprised if your hitting the KW bump stops unless you are very very low. I would rule out the sway bar first if the noise is clunk or thud from the front. Sway bar links can be noisy if the bushings have failed or the link has broken. Or, its hitting somewhere on the suspension. If its only over speed bumps and not during normal driving, as others have said, it might just be normal given how low you might be. Below is a pic of a friends car that ran KW V3s. In real life this car was LOW and is tucked here in pics. He never had an issue with them and is seen here sitting at a Porsche dealer when he sold it.

And below is my car on Bilstien Adj Sports which shouldn't have nearly the range of KW.

Quick Reply: Dropping but fixing bump stop issue