Sponsored by: DashLynx

KW V3 owners chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:03 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,246 Likes on 2,732 Posts
Default KW V3 owners chime in...

Simple question - what's your ride height?

I'm getting these installed along with a bunch of other things. I want to try to and get this thing on point. I've read all the threads I can - not a ton on the KWs. Seems to be some disagreement on the optimal ride height settings for these coilovers. RS vs RS+10. Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter, though I love the look of RS ride height.

Any other helpful tips appreciated.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

Do you have stock front uprights? If so going lower than RS +10 will produce bump steer. Bump steer kit will help but you will really want RS or BBI uprights to go RS low.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craina
Do you have stock front uprights? If so going lower than RS +10 will produce bump steer. Bump steer kit will help but you will really want RS or BBI uprights to go RS low.
Yeah, I am not planning on buying the bump steer kit if going RS+10 - I had resigned myself to getting the kit if I went RS height, however.

I used to have a GT4 which was pretty low to the ground. Not sure if RS ride height is much different than that from a practical standpoint, in terms of scraping. The GT4 had a long lip and this made the approach angle tough. As of now, I have the standard C4S (ie Turbo) front bumper.

With the expense of everything I'm doing now, RS uprights (which I thought were discontinued) and BBI uprights are a slippery slope that I want to avoid.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Yeah, I am not planning on buying the bump steer kit if going RS+10 - I had resigned myself to getting the kit if I went RS height, however.

I used to have a GT4 which was pretty low to the ground. Not sure if RS ride height is much different than that from a practical standpoint, in terms of scraping. The GT4 had a long lip and this made the approach angle tough. As of now, I have the standard C4S (ie Turbo) front bumper.

With the expense of everything I'm doing now, RS uprights (which I thought were discontinued) and BBI uprights are a slippery slope that I want to avoid.
RS uprights are back in production, you can get them here from Gert @ carnewal. I bought mine earlier this year and they have stamped 2018 production codes. The kit from Gert, which also includes new tie rods and wheel bearings, is pretty reasonable compared to BBI. The BBI units look very slick, I just could not justify the cost personally.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I have KW's and RS uprights and bump steer, and a bunch of other Tarret bits also. My height is pretty low. I got uprights from sunset porsche, they have them instock.

Here is my suspension set up thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...up-choice.html

Old 05-24-2019, 12:09 PM
trendo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have RS +10 with KW V3s

The height definitely does not seem too low. Plenty of clearance, and if you want to do RS, it seems like the height would be fine.

I have heard that bump steer can be bad, but I don't notice much. The car is a little "darty" but it may be a function of the new alignment (RS). If you like the look of RS, I would do it. You can either buy new uprights, or live with the bump steer. I suspect that for a street car, the horrors of bump steer are probably overblown.

The V3's have a specific adjustment range, I measured the front with calipers yesterday, and it seems like it covers from RS+15 down to below RS. It will go much farther in each direction, but those are the limits that KW recommends.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Thanks for comments so far - some cool looking cars...

Looks like between uprights, tie rods, bearing and added labor — probably ~$2k additional cost, if not more. May have to stick with RS+10mm for now. I think I can get away without the bump steer mod at this ride height...

Doing LWFW/RS clutch, Fister exhaust, KW v3 coilovers and engine out stuff as it is... the slippery slope comes quick.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Would a KW V3 user clarify what range of ride height is possible? I’d be shooting for RoW sport, which seems borderline too high for this setup. TIA.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Running rs height with stock uprights.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Seb - thank you. I don’t want to ride that low, so really more interested in how high they can go. Target would be RoW sport, which is 144/127 (F/R). Do you know? Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Seb - thank you. I don’t want to ride that low, so really more interested in how high they can go. Target would be RoW sport, which is 144/127 (F/R). Do you know? Thanks again.
Sorry, l dont know

I wanted my car low hehe

Name:  photo615.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  682.9 KB

Quick Reply: KW V3 owners chime in...