Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reduce Braking - guesses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:24 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I hear ya! When I purchased mine from Classic it had 27,000 on it and worked out some kinks here and there ... but modding for me hasn’t stopped and it’s been 3+ years of ownership now... nothing but a constant slippery slope!
Yep. The thing that's annoyed me is the down time. I thought I'd be fine with this process but I didn't count on wanting to drive the car so much. Wasn't expecting it to be so much fun. I miss it when it's in the shop - which is a lot right now (probably close to half the time I've owned it thanks in large part to the widespread mechanic shortage).
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Did your shop have any explanation as to how a mc failure caused the warning light? I’m just curious to know how that happens, since the mc is a purely mechanical device. Always smart to approach these things with an ounce of skepticism.

It’s a pretty simple fix so shouldn’t be too expensive.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:54 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Did your shop have any explanation as to how a mc failure caused the warning light? I’m just curious to know how that happens, since the mc is a purely mechanical device. Always smart to approach these things with an ounce of skepticism.

It’s a pretty simple fix so shouldn’t be too expensive.
No. I'm going to chat with them later this AM after they get some more time w/ the car. We'll see.

Also - folks were right about the "leak". Condensation from A/C, unrelated to brake issues.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:27 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
TSounds like your ABS Booster Pump went out. That is costly!
If this is in reply to the OP, I respectfully disagree.
  • My understanding and limited experience is that the ABS booster pump only comes into play when the sensors trigger it, outside of this it is a passive device. If inoperable it simply doesn't kick in during triggering events and the braking system acts like a non-ABS system
  • When one of the two sections on the master cylinder fails, or gets air in it, braking becomes very hard as the remaining section takes over the work. This is a fail-safe design I believe has been required by law for many years.
  • If the problem was a fluid leak, even a small one, the brakes would just fail with no stopping power and so very unlikly
  • If the problem is the brake fluid level got too low and the system sucked some air into the system that could be the issue. I would bleed the brakes first to see if that resolves the issue the if not investigate the master cylinder.
Andy
Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by pp000830
If this is in reply to the OP, I respectfully disagree.
  • My understanding and limited experience is that the ABS booster pump only comes into play when the sensors trigger it, outside of this it is a passive device. If inoperable it simply doesn't kick in during triggering events and the braking system acts like a non-ABS system
  • When one of the two sections on the master cylinder fails, or gets air in it, braking becomes very hard as the remaining section takes over the work. This is a fail-safe design I believe has been required by law for many years.
  • If the problem was a fluid leak, even a small one, the brakes would just fail with no stopping power and so very unlikly
  • If the problem is the brake fluid level got too low and the system sucked some air into the system that could be the issue. I would bleed the brakes first to see if that resolves the issue the if not investigate the master cylinder.
Andy
That's super helpful and makes a lot of sense.

FWIW - While I am absolutely not a mechanic, I do know a fair amount about driving. There is no way anything I've done with the car would have triggered the ABS system in the last few weeks (and certainly not yesterday when I noticed the issue). So by your comments Andy it should have remained "passive". My indy isn't the most experienced with air cooled Porsche but they always get things right in the end. I trust them and believe them when they say they believe it's the master cylinder but want more time to finalize their diagnosis.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The only other components involved are the push rod mechanism under the brake peddle and the brake booster. Both of these areas/components have proven to be extremely robust on our cars altho a malfunction of either can dramatically increase required peddle force.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Andy
That would also explain the warning light (fluid level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir). So my guess is low fluid, and the next question is why did the fluid level suddenly drop.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It's not rocket science, the leak is probablty from the vacuum servo, hence heavy pedal. Warning light = low fluid level. ABS not related , it's triggered by the wheel sensors which also give a warning light if one fails.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:26 PM
TRIPLEBLK1
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

Check the hydraulic booster!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRIPLEBLK1
Check the hydraulic booster!
That's the current area of focus. So I hope you (and my indy) are on to something.

BTW - Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend.

Going to spend some of mine trying to install my Waldemars and also fresh speakers from Einmalig. If the car isn't driveable it may as well look and sound great.

Last edited by tstafford; 05-24-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Reduce Braking - guesses?