Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 board summary ! Just finished reading it all

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:25 AM
blue993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, although I'm new to Rennlist from what I've seen so far it appears to be a very worthwhile site. I've recently purchased a 1998 C2S and it's been everything I've hoped for - from the stunning view of the rear shoulders to the break neck acceleration I'm truly fortunate to own this classic automobile. There's just one small detail I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm noticing a "garage" like odor in the interior and it definitely doesn't have any resemblance to the scent of leather seats. When I opened the hood a week ago I noticed that this odor was more prominent in there - could the gas tank be the culprit due to it's proximity to the firewall? If anyone else has had a similar experience I'd like to know just what's causing this problem and how to deal with it. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 AM
willisit
Racer

Well said that man!

I'm new.. and that helped a lot!
Old 07-07-2003, 04:45 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Greg,

Really great work. I have been reading this board for about 3 plus years and you have summarized everything in a few short lines. The word succinct has never been represented in a better fashion.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:36 AM
mtopp
Intermediate

You should do a 911 summary, since I'm sure you've read them all as well.

Don't forget to add a point about A/C. :-)
Old 08-20-2003, 08:15 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, who'll be the first one to read everything on the OT-forum?
Old 10-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Skytop
Racer

Greg:
Had lots of fun reading your post about the posts! And I learned a few things too!~ Thanks!
skytop
Old 10-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,
Very useful information and a great starting point. Many thanks to you, DJF1 and E.J.
Dan
Old 01-11-2004, 02:54 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Look at it this way. If ppl used the search engine all the time, then there would be nothing to talk about. The board will slowly fade away from people posting. The only forum that would get hits is the off-topic section. Sometimes when you ask a question that has been asked a million times it is a good thing, someone might have a new remedy for the problem.

Old 01-11-2004, 02:57 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally posted by blue993
Hi all, although I'm new to Rennlist from what I've seen so far it appears to be a very worthwhile site. I've recently purchased a 1998 C2S and it's been everything I've hoped for - from the stunning view of the rear shoulders to the break neck acceleration I'm truly fortunate to own this classic automobile. There's just one small detail I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm noticing a "garage" like odor in the interior and it definitely doesn't have any resemblance to the scent of leather seats. When I opened the hood a week ago I noticed that this odor was more prominent in there - could the gas tank be the culprit due to it's proximity to the firewall? If anyone else has had a similar experience I'd like to know just what's causing this problem and how to deal with it. Thanks.
Prolly might want to start a new topic with this situation.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Oh yah and why do you guys hate 996s?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:58 AM
jusafan
Instructor

Just joined. Thanks for the summary. I have definitely learned some things. I think I will do the headlight conversion soon.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:57 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jusafan
Just joined. Thanks for the summary. I have definitely learned some things. I think I will do the headlight conversion soon.
Factory lints will be pricey, and prices seem to still be creeping up...so this is not best bang for the buck mod (say, vs. suspension). And if you are looking to go w/ aftermarket, you're too late by about 6-9 mos
Old 06-27-2004, 11:02 AM
jusafan
Instructor

Thanks David in LA. I haven't looked into it yet. Just reacting to the cool stuff I read. My plan is actually to start with exhaust and a chip, then do suspension, then brakes, then some interior upgrades (steering wheel, trim, etc.). In reality, this will all come before the lights, so your advice is right on the money. BTW, I live in Los Angeles too.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:19 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, if you read the archives you'll find that an exhaust will give you neglible power gains but you may get some weight savings (depending on whether you go with RSRs, Supercups, etc)...otherwise you should do the exhaust just for audible gains (my Supercups make my car sound faster!! ). Chip is worthwhile mod but brakes, to be honest, are not unless you will be tracking your car. Best bang for buck performance-wise will be suspension and wheels/tires, and they also make the biggest impact aesthetics-wise.

Since you are in LA you should join up with Rennlisters on the Malibu runs put together by ADSC4S (I have yet to make one as I am usually away from LA but am hoping to join up next time I'm in LA).
Old 06-27-2004, 10:55 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Thanks for the thoughts David. I have been researching chips and found that GIAC makes a good chip for cars that use 91 octane. But now that I've joined this Rennlist forum, I see that others have been recommended too. So I will continue looking into them. Just bought the car. It has 17" rims, which I will stay with for now. I've added Toyo T1-S tires, which I like so far. The stock brakes are pretty good, so I'll take your advice and skip that mod and go to the suspension. And of course a few passenger compartment tweaks somewhere along the way, just to give it my own flavor.

I would like to join the Rennlisters on the Malibu runs. How do I hook up with the crew?

Quick Reply: 993 board summary ! Just finished reading it all