993 Forum 1995-1998

Best 4-point harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:31 AM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 4-point harness?

I am interested in getting a harness that will work with my stock seats. I plan to get the Brey Krause harness guide bar for my 993 C4S (http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1010.php), and I plan to keep my stock seats. Therefore, I *think* a 4-point harness is the way to go.

Basically, I am looking for something that will hold me in the seat during DEs, such that I am not having hang onto the steering through turns. Obviously, safety is also a big reason for the harness.

So which harness should I get, and is there any other hardware that is needed to accompany the harness? Am I right to focus on a 4-point? Also, if anyone wants to sell their harness guide bar or a harness (or two) please PM me.

I spent a good half hour checking the archives, didn't find much at all on 4-point harnesses.

By the way, this board is the greatest. I just bought my membership today, after freeloading for about a year.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:02 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Best 4-point harness?

Originally posted by JPL 993-C4S
Obviously, safety is also a big reason for the harness.

So which harness should I get, and is there any other hardware that is needed to accompany the harness? Am I right to focus on a 4-point? Also, if anyone wants to sell their harness guide bar or a harness (or two) please PM me.

Thanks.
Welcome to Rennlist.

Regarding your post and what you wrote. The best 4 point harness is the one that you never buy and stays on show cars. I would say get a 6 point harness so you can bring the subs around the front of the seat if you must keep the stock seats. Also get 3" width belts, not the smaller width that most 4 point systems come in. A camlock release makes life much easier. Other harware you may need are the snap in connections along with eye bolts and possibly a backing plate to mount the console side lap belt.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Am I right to focus on a 4-point? [QUOTE]

NO!!!!!! Sub harness a must; 4-point unsafe. Do an archive search (try "sub harness" or "5-point"); this has been discussed several times (there was a reason why your "4-point" seach was fruitless)

You also need a belt mounting that keeps the shoulder harnesses together. So you need a cross-strap that'll hold the shoulder belts together separated by your neck thickness. Otherwise the seat bolsters will pull the harness straps off your shoulder and make them useless.

Might also dig on the Simpson or Bell web sites.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Pete K
Pro

Brey Kraus also makes some attach points that mount to the inside of the seat (factory mounting point) this allows you to have a removable inner belt and makes life much easier.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9001.php

Pete
Old 02-14-2004, 11:08 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Where are you planning to anchor your shoulder belts? The Harness Guide Bar is not designed to anchor your belts if you were just thinking of looping them around there. The guide bar is just that, it is designed to guide the shoulder belts and keep them in the proper spot. Many DE groups do not allow you to run with belts that anchor here. The Brey Krause Harness Truss is desgned to anchor the belts. As you can see, it has a LOT more structure to handle the required forces...
Old 02-14-2004, 01:22 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

Thanks for the advice.

As I am not interested in replacing my stock seats, it seems that the 6-point harness is the preferred option, with the two sub-belts mounted side-to-side rather than in front. I plan to use a harness guide bar and mount the shoulder straps to the rear-seat belt mounts.

So which companies make the best harnesses?
Old 02-14-2004, 01:28 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Schroth has a very good reputation

http://www.schroth.com/english/container_english.htm

Quick Reply: Best 4-point harness?