993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche and our lives

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:44 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a small business, and there are three of us that are Porsche owners, with nine total Porsches. (There are only seven people in the office.) Yes, we raise a few eyebrows with neighboring businesses, but if they only knew the true cost of ownership is no more, and sometimes much less, than the BMW or SUV in the same parking lot. And if they only knew (some do) how these cars are as much an avocation, as they are a vehicle.

One of the cars cost $900, one $1400 (944 and 951 with broken timing belts that required valve jobs; both weekend home repairs for minimal cost.) Two very cheap spare cars for when it's rainy or when the others are undergoing maintenance, etc. Spare car Porsches; they won't depreciate any further; essentially drive them for free. One is a 928 gorgeously rebuilt from a salvage title; some people enjoy remodeling their house; some enjoy rebuilding cars. One is a '94 3.6 Turbo with a home engine rebuild, and custom twin turbos (750hp on the dyno.) Some people enjoy working in their flower garden; some people like to build engines.

We are all true afficianados, choosing a Porsche as not only a vehicle but as a way of life. The joy of driving is a lost pursuit for the most part in the US. The destination is more important than the drive...at least to most people. We choose otherwise; sometimes there is no destination at all, just the drive itself. I took a 30 mile return home last night, when the direct route is 5.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Carreragal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased my car, I had almost boutght an older targa, Which I had always loved. The car had smog issues and some body boo-boo's. I took my husband to a consignment shop and we look at all different years. We both fell in love with 98 cab, blk on tan. From that point on we knew it was going to be a 993. I found my 19K mile red coupe- and my husband said O.K. The P-car is mine now and I never regret it. Every time I see it I can't believe how beautiful it is. Porsche has always been 'THE CAR" for me. We still laugh when we wash it and agree that it looks fast just sitting there!
Most people think the car cost more than their 50K cars and I have heard some comments-Who cares. I still say, " I love my car" everytime I go for a ride.

Quick Reply: Porsche and our lives