993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake pad sensor came on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:32 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Brake pad sensor came on

Brake pad sensor light came on today. I plan to replace front and rear pads and rotors. It’s time. What else should be replaced? Does anyone have a full list of part numbers for everything - pads, rotors, sensors, bolts??, dampeners??? What else? This would be much easier if Porsche just sold a kit. Haha.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2019, 11:48 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

If you take the calipers off you need to replace the bolts, front & rear are different
check hoses first before ordering parts - are they original? If you change the hoses get the spring clips also
and fluid for your biannual flush
Old 05-11-2019, 01:43 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Be sure to assess how long rotors have been on and if in spec. Pelican parts often have things arranged and grouped by maintenance job and by year model car. You can choose oem or other supplier also. Sunset porsche parts and Sonnen Porsche Parts are popular for good prices, good service, and online oem parts diagrams organized by year and model. Makes it very easy to collect oem part numbers and order. Others as well but i have found those two very reliable
DIY on P-car most likely will walk you through it simply.
good luck. Easy job.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

It's up to you but I suggest you first evaluate the condition of your rotors before ordering new ones. Check the thickness with a dial caliper and compare with the minimum required thickness as cast into the rotor or in the manual. If you still have a long way to go before the minimum is reached, then perform a visual inspection. Are there any deep gouges that a fingernail would catch on? If not, new pads will seat with just a few hard stops. Have you experienced any pulsation in the brake pedal when performing a firm, hard brake test? If so, it may suggest that your rotors are warped. If so, you should perform a run-out test by bolting the rotor to the hub, then measure run-out with a dial micrometer. If the rotors pass all these tests, then, IMHO, you're wasting your money by installing new rotors.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

...and they're not cheap. Just for reference, does anyone have the new rotor thickness to gauge how much is left?
Old 05-11-2019, 08:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
If you take the calipers off you need to replace the bolts, front & rear are different
check hoses first before ordering parts - are they original? If you change the hoses get the spring clips also
and fluid for your biannual flush
The factory specifies replacing the front caliper bolts once removed, I seem to recall the rears can be reused.
I paint the hub to rotor interface and the rotor tie-down screw with a little anti-seize. Seems to inhibit corrosion.
The tie-down screw can be reliably removed with a manual impact screwdriver, inexpensive at Harbor Freight.
One can also tie off the pad wear sensors and just look at the pads ones every few years. When the friction material is as thin as the backing plate, usually preceded by a bit noisier braking, it is time to change the pads,
Rock Auto had the correct drilled rotors at a friendly price when I changed mine out a few years back.
For some reason trying various pads with the spider clips, I have not had luck getting consistently quiet brakes. My thought is that the pads available today have a bit harder compound and so can be noisy.
This is based on anecdotal observation, not scientific testing.
Andy
Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My one data point of experience in trying other pads was with a very inexpensive set from Autozone--squealed like a stuck pig, no matter how much copper grease was used. You would never need a horn with these pads on the car.

Installed Genuine Porsche pads (the ones that cost more and come in the Porsche boxes) and new spiders, and they are as quiet as the proverbial church mouse.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
My one data point of experience in trying other pads was with a very inexpensive set from Autozone--squealed like a stuck pig, no matter how much copper grease was used. You would never need a horn with these pads on the car.

Installed Genuine Porsche pads (the ones that cost more and come in the Porsche boxes) and new spiders, and they are as quiet as the proverbial church mouse.
In all cases I’ve found Porsche OE brake pads to be good products. Even for semi-occasional track use they are good (GT cars and 991).
Old 05-11-2019, 11:01 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

For IainM,

New discs are 32mm front, 24mm rear. Wear limit is 30mm front, 22mm rear. Machining limits are 30.6mm front, 22.6mm rear, machining to be done equally on both sides. This is from the technical data section of the factory shop manual.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
For IainM,

New discs are 32mm front, 24mm rear. Wear limit is 30mm front, 22mm rear. Machining limits are 30.6mm front, 22.6mm rear, machining to be done equally on both sides. This is from the technical data section of the factory shop manual.
It may simply be less expensive to replace them vs machining. I have never had problems with warped rotors or really any problems that required machining. On all three cars, 2-911 and a 924S the rotors were true but simply worn to their wear limits. The brakes seem to run a little quieter with fresh rotors.
Andy
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My go to machine shop in Long Beach, cuts rotor faces at $7 ea., so $14 per rotor.

If there's plenty of meat on the rotor, by my math, $14 < $150. Freshpads should have a fresh or freshly cut surface, for bedding purposes.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:34 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

here is what my local deal recommended. I plan to use my Indy and order parts myself but figured the dealer would give me everything possible to replace and i could cut back from there if necessary. This includes pads, rotors, sensors, assorted bolts, dampening panel something, vibration dampeners, etc. I'm of the mindset of doing this once so i don't mind buying and replacing some of these smaller parts. What does everyone think? Pads and rotors are obvious....not really sure about the rest. Are these parts and quantities correct and all needed for a full brake job?

Again, why can't Porsche just offer a kit.....would make life so much easier than ordering 42 parts in total for a brake job
Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
It's up to you but I suggest you first evaluate the condition of your rotors before ordering new ones. .
My rotors were within specification until 90K miles for a street driven car. Just a data point for the OP's consideration.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

GBX, I get the drift that you just want to do a total brake job no matter what, so have at it! Keep the economy going!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Again, why can't Porsche just offer a kit.....would make life so much easier than ordering 42 parts in total for a brake job
For the manufacturer, a prepackaged kit would make logistics more complex - look at how many different cars can use certain parts in your list. Without a kit, the manufacturer can stock minimal numbers of those parts to service different combinations of parts as needed. In the dealer chain, a kit could make ordering easier but that doesn't really make the dealer's life easier - all you need is a knowledgeable parts person to order up the various parts based on need, assisted by the online ordering system.

For the independent or DIY mechanic, ordering individual parts is beneficial even if it's confusing at first. As others have mentioned, depending on the actual, inspected condition of the parts now on your car, you don't necessarily need all of the parts on the dealer's list. The dealer replaces the parts that the manufacturer requires for the job. An indy mechanic would probably replace the rotors even if they're in-spec, as doing so greatly reduces the chance that you'll be back complaining about noise or brake feel issues, but is unlikely to replace the rotor screws or sensors unless they're obviously defective. A DIY mechanic can take a little risk and try reusing the rotors (a routine practice in the past). The worst thing that happens is you pull things apart and toss on some rotors.

If you're experienced and thoughtful, you can go even further (for instance, research the case for replacing caliper bolts each time). But if you're doing your own work and are unsure of what to do, the dealer's list is a great start - order all the parts, swap 1:1, and be done.

Quick Reply: Brake pad sensor came on