Sponsored by:

Rennlisters in Wichita?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Craig Chase
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rennlisters in Wichita?

Anyone familiar with Scholfield Auto Plaza in Wichita? I'm considering a '96TT, sight unseen.
I'd appreciate any info that you could provide.

Thanks!

Craig (Austin)
Old 12-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Craig -

What happened to the grey one in Austin? I thought that was a done deal.

Greg
Old 12-15-2002, 01:55 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I know the dealership, Craig, I lived there for a couple years ... who are you dealing with there?

Vic
95 C4
Old 12-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Craig Chase
Track Day

Someone has a good memory! :-)

The slate grey ended up not making the Porsche certification. Presumably the only reason was that it had been in an accident (left fender and bumper cover replaced, some suspension work done. One of the things that never stopped bothering me was the fact that I heard three different explanations of what had happened to warrant the repairs. The previous owner was clearly telling the tallest tale (for what reason, I have no idea -- perhaps he thought he was doing the dealership a favor, or perhaps he had told them a tall tale when he sold the car). The service rep and the sales guy were reasonably close in their description, although the how someone's wife backing into a parked 993TT can require suspension work, a new fender *and* a bumper... I suppose it's possible, but I decided to walk anyway. Between the paint work, and the odometer not reading actual mileage, well and the engine having been replaced once already (under warranty when the car was new, according to the P.O.), and the radio having failed, and the rear wheels needing to be refinished... it just seemed like a car that had some kind of jynx on it.

So, I took my deposit back, and took a few weeks to think about such things. The car in Wichita is an Arena Red that was listed on eBay (actually listed twice) and didn't sell (not surprising). 23K miles, Porsche Certified. The person I've talked to at the dealership is Jack Stevens. He says that someone else is sitting on an offer and has until Monday to make up his mind -- someone in Denver.

The car has a grey interior with black leather seats.

Craig
Old 12-15-2002, 11:28 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I never met Jack; the salesman I got to now there is named Bruce. I also got to know the sales manager. I had good experiences there, but their prices were a bit high (at the time). The service manager is (was?) a guy named Tony; very nice guy but I didn't have huge amounts of confidence in their chief Porsche guy (he was really a Jaguar mechanic whom they had trained as a Porsche guy).

If you want someone to put a second pair of eyes on the car, I would call Mo at Best Mechanical Works in Wichita. He's no 911 guru, although he is knowledgeable about 928s, but he is a decent mechanic and would be impartial and can tell you if the car's been hit, etc.

Wichita is ... well, it's Wichita. The car will thank you if you buy it and move it away ;-)

Vic
95 C4
Old 12-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Pete K
Pro

Craig,
I unfortunatly wiil be in Wichita for the Holiday.

If you still need someone to look at it on or after the 26th let me know.

Pete

Quick Reply: Rennlisters in Wichita?