Bilstein Update on PSS9s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004 | 10:34 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: Bilstein Update on PSS9s

Originally posted by viperbob

Some of you may seriously want to consider alternatives like the JIC Cross products. Especially at the new PSS9 prices.
After seeing them at your garage Bob, I frankly do not get how one would actually prefer the PSS9 over the cross coilovers given their spring rates and adjustability. Not to mention the camber plates etc... I wish this product was around 2 years ago when I did my upgrade to the cabrio.

I think the Cross coilover can very well be the next "PSS9" so to speak. You should take a pic Bob and post it here so people can see what I'm talking about...

Old 02-12-2004 | 11:00 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm, raise prices when the exchange rate turns against you but leave the prices the same when it works in your favor. Wouldn't it be great if the government would jump in and impose tariffs when foreign companies are dumping goods due to the exchange rate and the lowering the tariff as the dollar sinks?

A dollar is always a dollar in the good ole USA. Buy Americun!!

(please note this is meant to be a joke)
Old 02-12-2004 | 11:44 AM
Agro1
Banned

ViperBob siad the price may go up to $3695. That is well over a 50% increase (maybe even closer to 60%). The dollar HAS NOT dropped over 50% against the Euro guys.
Old 02-12-2004 | 12:07 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have an idea what the price increase may be on the HD's and when Billstein will increase the HD prices. I planned on upgrading to the HD's this spring, but I get the sense that I may want to purchase the HD's now and let them sit until spring.
Old 02-12-2004 | 01:07 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Agro1 - List price is somewhat meaningless with PSS9s. The list price was $2995 and then went to $3095. Now it is going up to $3695. The street price is another story. Yes you could get them last year for $1400. That type of pricing will never happen again.

Chris322 - I do not have any specifics, but a 20%+ increase would not surprise me. Especially with units of PSS9s tough to get, substitute products will also go up in price if for no other reason than supply and demand. I just got a set for a customer yesterday, and the prices are pretty stable for the moment.
Old 02-12-2004 | 01:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default PSS9 or Moton Club Sport

Moton adjustable...this is a really trick set up, and believe it may be made in the USA, don't really know. Last I heard it was $2,700 + springs, or about $3,100 total. Totallt adjustable for compression and rebound...I hope these are the terms I am searching for. Bottom line, they work like a Mo Fo...just a little spendy for me.

Porsche Owners Club apparently feels the externall adjustable are so effective, once you install them, you go directly to V Class, that is one class above Production (Stock, Improved, Production, V Class.

Kim has these installed on his beast.

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-12-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2004 | 01:27 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Part of the price change is due to extremely low US / Euro exchange rate.
Old 02-12-2004 | 01:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Martin:

Motons are made in Holland.

Right now, the Clubsports run $ 2995 without springs. Moton dealers are the ones wheo select and provide springs (unless the owner already knows) and the completed cost runs around $ 3500 for a dual-spring package.

Indeed, bump & rebound are independently adjustable and the whole valving package is VERY well done for P-cars,....

Hope this helps,
Old 02-12-2004 | 01:57 PM
Agro1
Banned

Doesn't Koni make a triple adjustable full boogie setup that would be comparatively priced ??
Old 02-12-2004 | 02:02 PM
Laura
Pro

Martin,

You're right, the Moton components are pretty trick.

Moton Club Sport - Double adjustable shocks with fully threaded bodies, remote reservoirs, 7 adjustable steps for rebound and 7 steps for compression adjustment, Eibach springs, and conversion hats for rear. Easily adjustable. It's race quality from one of the best names in shocks.

With the increase in price for Bilsteins, this package is superior at the cost of about $3600. We've been selling this package to the guys who still wanted the step above the Bilstein's, but if prices are that close, these are now the best bang for the buck. And they are available.

Laura
Hergesheimer MotorSports
Old 02-12-2004 | 02:15 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally posted by Laura
Martin,

You're right, the Moton components are pretty trick.

Moton Club Sport - Double adjustable shocks with fully threaded bodies, remote reservoirs, 7 adjustable steps for rebound and 7 steps for compression adjustment, Eibach springs, and conversion hats for rear. Easily adjustable. It's race quality from one of the best names in shocks.

With the increase in price for Bilsteins, this package is superior at the cost of about $3600. We've been selling this package to the guys who still wanted the step above the Bilstein's, but if prices are that close, these are now the best bang for the buck. And they are available.

Laura
Hergesheimer MotorSports
Great.........Just Great!
Old 02-12-2004 | 02:40 PM
Laura
Pro

Phil,
Did I forget to tell you there is no bottom to that slope ???

Love ya !
Old 02-12-2004 | 02:45 PM
Agro1
Banned

Awesome pic Laura -

http://www.hergesheimer.com/ASSETS/G...gineheader.gif
Old 02-12-2004 | 02:48 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Motons are great, but they are not for everyone. The attributes are awesome. They are unreal on the track, and I personally feel they are great on my car on the street.

The thing to consider is that these are NOT designed as bolt on suspension. They do not have any brackets for mounting your brake line or ABS pod on the front shock( these need to be custom made by your installer), the rears do NOT include any collars for mounting a sway bar, and then you have these remote reservoirs that you need to mount somewhere. For the fronts, your can drill a hole through the shock tower run the feed line into the truck area and connect the reservoirs to the strut bar. In the rear, well you have a little issue. The reservoirs can be run in the engine compartment, but the reservoirs are sensitive to heat so it is recommended to run them in the interior. I have mine attached to the lower bar of my rollbar. Then one of the adjustments on the rears is on top of the shock. So to adjust, you need to be able to get a hand back to the top of the shock mounts on each side. Every install with the Motons is a custom install and hence more $$$$.

Just to recap, I think these are about the best shocks on the planet, but I want everyone to have a full understanding of them before going this direction. These are RACE shocks, that are still get for aggressive street driving.

This is why I point people and my customers to the JIC Cross products as that next step above PSS9s. There are still in the same price range as PSS9s, they are awesome units as far a manufacturing is concerned, they have several different spring rates available with proper stagger front to rear, they are 15 way adjustable (on they really click when you turn them), they come with the camber plates / monballs for all 4 shocks (this in an extra $1000 item for the PSS9s and the Motons), they are nitrogen filled, and they are designed to bolt directly onto our cars. These units beat out the PSS9s in the 996TT Shootout in European Car magazine for the track portion.

Here is a picture.
Old 02-12-2004 | 02:56 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Moton's are way above my needs, and if PSS9s are going to be that expensive, then I would like ot know more about Bob's JIC suggestion. Bob, what do you sell these for? I checked the manufacturer's website already, but am a little confused as to which setup you are talking about?

Appreciate the info in this thread.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Update on PSS9s