Sponsored by: DashLynx

SSK Recommendation Plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts
Default SSK Recommendation Plz

Thinking about a short shift kit for my C4S. I'm not thrilled with the imprecise nature of the shifter but I can live with it if that's the right thing to do. Two questions:

Should I do it?: I'm pretty committed to keeping the car very close to stock. I just like it that way - no exhaust mods, original steering wheel, blue tooth mod of the OE stereo rather than installing Porsche Classic etc. Although it came with Bilsteins which seems like a good thing. Is the SSK going in the wrong direction or is it a light enough mod that the car will maintain its character and authenticity?

Which one: What's the recommended SSK for this car? I've done some searches and I'm not sure I totally understand the options. I'd ask my indy mechanic to do it at the next oil change or other maintenance need so installation isn't a huge factor. I'd like something that goes in w/o having to modify other parts or cut anything and so forth. Plug and play is priority one over price. Reliability is super critical to me. And as mentioned before something that is in keeping with the car's place in time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I had some of the same concerns before I put an FDM ssk+goldenrod in my c2. It's a nice upgrade with no real downsides that I can see.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

+1 for the Fister short shifter and golden rod. A marked improvement over the stock feel.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,249 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Thinking about a short shift kit for my C4S. I'm not thrilled with the imprecise nature of the shifter but I can live with it if that's the right thing to do. Two questions:

Should I do it?: I'm pretty committed to keeping the car very close to stock. I just like it that way - no exhaust mods, original steering wheel, blue tooth mod of the OE stereo rather than installing Porsche Classic etc. Although it came with Bilsteins which seems like a good thing. Is the SSK going in the wrong direction or is it a light enough mod that the car will maintain its character and authenticity?

Which one: What's the recommended SSK for this car? I've done some searches and I'm not sure I totally understand the options. I'd ask my indy mechanic to do it at the next oil change or other maintenance need so installation isn't a huge factor. I'd like something that goes in w/o having to modify other parts or cut anything and so forth. Plug and play is priority one over price. Reliability is super critical to me. And as mentioned before something that is in keeping with the car's place in time.

Thanks in advance.
My advice may be useless here, since I've never driven an SSK 993. But since you're wanting to keep the vibe stock...

The long throw, for me, matches the car. I feel like my shifting times perfectly with engine speed, throttle blips and heel-toe and I think the shortening the throw would change the overall feel. There is an old school feel to the long throw. That said - my shifter is not imprecise. Not sure if rehabbing the stock shifter would help that? i.e. bushings, FD goldenrod, etc?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your car is a C4S which means the shifter pivots off the driveshaft rather than a shift tube that can be moved to keep the shifter in the proper position....the RS short Shifter will mean you have to "DENT" the long narrow cover that bolts to the bottom of the car in order for it to work....you may talk to Darin with Fister and get his opinion....
Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
My advice may be useless here, since I've never driven an SSK 993. But since you're wanting to keep the vibe stock...

The long throw, for me, matches the car. I feel like my shifting times perfectly with engine speed, throttle blips and heel-toe and I think the shortening the throw would change the overall feel. There is an old school feel to the long throw. That said - my shifter is not imprecise. Not sure if rehabbing the stock shifter would help that? i.e. bushings, FD goldenrod, etc?
I felt the same way until I did the RS ssk (FDM) and goldenrod. It is a little shorter but by most standards it is still a long throw. Its not snick snick s2000 or miata short, but it greatly improves precision.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:50 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,249 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by craina
I felt the same way until I did the RS ssk (FDM) and goldenrod. It is a little shorter but by most standards it is still a long throw. Its not snick snick s2000 or miata short, but it greatly improves precision.
Interesting. Something to consider then. Of course I have a C4S, so it makes things complicated. I had tried a countersunk shifter **** on my old s2000. The throw felt less than an inch. You basically shifted with your wrist. I like a more physical throw.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
....the RS short Shifter will mean you have to "DENT" the long narrow cover that bolts to the bottom of the car in order for it to work.......
Absolutely correct. I installed this set up on both my turbo and current C4. The dent in hardly noticeable unless on a lift. It is such a marked improvement I wouldn't let this dissuade you.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I do not have the SSK, but I do have the golden rod, which is a very nice mod. My previous P car is a 80 911SC with a 915 gearbox, so I am used to a long throw. The G50 gearbox is much more precise than the 915, and my driving style is much more relaxed, and deliberated vs bang bang shifting (which isn't really a Porsche thing anyway (IMHO). I really like the golden rod, even though, at the time, my shifting was pretty tight.

I have driven cars with a factory SSK, and while the pivot point is a little different, i personally didn't think it made a huge difference, since I am used to driving my own car, the SSK actually felt a bit strange. I think a lot depends on your individual needs and what you want. Since you want to keep the car stock, I would recommend not doing the SSK, but I would recommend the golden rod or similar, as it does tighten things up. I don't track my car either, so i am not trying to extract tenths of a second here and there, so a little extra time shifting doesn't affect me.

Per the usual, recommend driving a car with SSK, and see if you prefer it.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Thanks guys. I think I may relax my "no mods" rule and allow myself this one. Seems like I'll enjoy it.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It is my understanding that a properly shimmed and adjusted 915 transmission is an excellent box and many times used in racing applications. Thats gotta say something...Yes, the 915 and the G50 are most definitely long throw transmissions, but that doesnt make them an undesirable trans. If they were, it would beg one to wonder how Porsche has won so many race championships.

FWIW, I have a FDM Golden Rod installed in my car, which in essence, emulates the RS shift linkage, and eliminates the rubber vibration dampening of the stock shift linkage. This is done for a more precise and direct shift feel.

As for the SSK; does it reduce the throw by something like 17%?
If stock throw is 8", thats a whopping reduction of almost 1 3/8", which hardly seems worth it, unless in a race application, where time is $$$$

Last edited by nine9six; 04-25-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default golden rod

I Have been using
FDM Golden Rod

Rifle Bolt shifting

FDM also places there logo in the perfect spot go figure
Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Parts ordered!
Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm SUPER happy with the CAE Ultrashifter installed in my C2, it's one of my favorite mods on the car. It's the closest I could get the 993 shifter to feeling as ergonomic and precise as a Miata shifter.

I do not know if it's compatible with a C4S, though.

Attachment 1340945
Old 04-26-2019, 04:21 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

nine9six,

You have a PM.

Quick Reply: SSK Recommendation Plz