Rear bumper to fender rubberseal - help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Rear bumper to fender rubberseal - help

Hi,

I replaced the seals between the rear bumper and fender, both sides. Im currently struggling to get the seal to fit snug between the fender and the bumper (see second picture). Is there any tips or trick to do whilst fitting this seal?
Im using OEM parts.

What I have noticed so far is that the seals are quite hard, just like the old seals. The old seals looks like have been heated in some way to make room for the clips on the fasteningpoints. With the new seal the clips is on top of the seal and the rubber is too stiff to allow the clip to sink into the seal by tightening the three bolts on each side.
What have you guys done in order to get this part fit good?

thanks,
Anders

ps, dont mind the aweful paint 😂

New seal placed on bumper

New seal gap

Old seal. Looks like clip has moulded into the seal.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I don't recall any clips in contact with the seals. I seem to remember the fasteners are above the sheet metal of the quarter panel or below the molded flange on the bumper cover. In your car, it looks like the cover was held on with sheet metal nut clips this may be normal. The dimples in the gasket are probably from years of pressure being applied. It is so easy to get to the fastener positions through the wheel well that the clips may be unnecessary and can be switched out for nylon hex head locking nuts & washers eliminating any gasket standoff issues caused by a clip nut. I seem to recall the gaskets on my car is not perfectly flat and have some ridges that form a gutter when in place. I suspect the gutter may act as a place for the flat side of a clip nut to occupy without causing a clip nut to act as a spacer.
It has been a while so my memory may not be perfectly clear on this.
Andy
Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 99 Posts

Andy, thanks for the

I just assumed it was a factoryfit with the clips mounted between the rear quarterpanel and rubberseal.

I followed your advice and moved the clips on top of the quarter panel, rather than spacing the seal further down by sitting inbetween fender and seal.
The end result became more snug, but there is maybe 2mm to go near the wheel (see picture below). This is as good as it gets.
Anyways, I’ll settle for this result as im trying to figure out what is the way it came from factory. Did not find any info on by forumsearch or in my 993 bentley manual so any pointers is welcome.
Cheers/ Skål

Final result. Clips moved on top of quarterpanel.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Hi Andres,
The parts catalog just adds to the confusion.
Bumper covers are soft plastic and if you are looking for a perfect fit it may be problematic. I have had the bumper cover off my car three or four times and found that it is designed to float a little. This may be so it can expand and contract with temperature cycling without buckling. After the assembly has been on your car a while you may find things have moved a little and the uneven gap may close up or can be addressed as the strip adjusts to its fitting position, no biggie.
Andy

Quick Reply: Rear bumper to fender rubberseal - help