993 Forum 1995-1998

Failed CA Smog Test!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:56 PM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed CA Smog Test!

I went to a test only center this time as opposed to my local Chevron station which passed me two years ago when I first bought the car. PO had replaced stock headers and mufflers with B&Bs. I subsequently replaced the mufflers back to stock but kept the after market headers.

These guys failed me on the account of a "tampered" emissions system despite passing the actual emissions test. Charged me 50 bucks anyway(couldn't they have told me BEFORE they ran the test?). Said to get an EO# from the manufacturer in order to pass visual inspection. What BS! I had contacted B&B before purchasing the car from out of state to make sure that there wouldn't be any CA smog certification issues. They told me then that their stuff is smog legal in all 50 states and again I had no problems with the initial smog test.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Probably will take it back to the Chevron station unless B&B can help me out. What a PITA!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:59 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That sucks - what crooks. does this mean that you have to go to a "special" station next?

I thought what you would need is a CARB number (California Air Resources Board). And i thought it would be stamped on the exhaust. If that is the case then they should not have failed you.

You can call B&B at 623-581-7600

Good luck - let us know how this works out...

Cheers,
Boris
Old 02-09-2004, 11:51 PM
kary993
Drifting

I am not sure I understand what a "tampered emission system" means. I have altered my emission systems in terms of mufflers. Is that what they are talking about? Or have you done something more with the car?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 PM
DrZ
Racer

I had a bad feeling from the start with this guy. Kind of reminded me of the "Soup ****"
I will call B&B in the morning. If they can't /won't help can go to guy that passed me before even when I had the B&B mufflers. No offense to anyone who has them but I can understand failing just for the looks of those coffee can tips alone!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:54 PM
DrZ
Racer

No Kary, they are just the B&B headers designed for the 993C2. I think this guy was just being an ***.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 AM
kary993
Drifting

DrZ,

Yes he must have been because I have Fabspeed mufflers and never had any issue with smog. Now readiness codes were another story for me ;-( Those interested in that topic it is fairly well documented in the archives here. I think "readiness codes" in the search will find it.

Sorry to hear about you issue DrZ. Some times these guys are just jealous and figure they can mess with you!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:16 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so... that's what "b&b" means by legal in 49 states? cali gets 'dicked' ???

man dr. z, go back to the local chevron!

bol!

Quick Reply: Failed CA Smog Test!