Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument removal? LED install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:58 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Instrument removal? LED install?

I was planning to add LED lights to my 96 993 instruments. It took me an hour to get the clock out. I could not budge the speedometer and gave up after another hour plus trying from the front and back of the instrument. I do not want cause damage.
Is there a technique I am not aware of?
BTW, while I had the clock out I tested the clock with the LED lights and compared to my other instruments ... they were considerably brighter.

Last edited by 911Jeff; 03-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:17 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

All of the gauges should push/pull out but the rubber retaining ring is likely hard and less pliable. Once the clock is out, the other gauges should push out from behind
Old 03-31-2019, 12:13 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 89 Posts

Unless you have the On Board Computer option!! If you try and remove it you can break the glass off the tach easily while doing so.

Ask me how I know!

According to ToreB it can be done but most people seem to remove the steering wheel and console trim and then remove it.

G
Old 03-31-2019, 01:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

These interior pry tools are a must have for jobs like this...patience and working around the instrument will yield the desired results. At a whopping $6.49 @ Walmart, they should not break the bank.

P.S. A tiny sprit of pene fluid at the top of the gauge, helps loosen stuck gauges. After one gauge is removed, pressing the gauge adjacent from behind, while working around the gauge rubber ring with the proper tool, should easily do the trick.

Last edited by nine9six; 03-31-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:50 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

I have a very complete set of pry tools (from when I converted my Panamera interior trim to CF). I am going to try again today.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 04:14 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

I tried for another two hours....even with a crow bar from behind. It’s like they are glued in place. I could remove the two outer instruments, but the three middle ones won’t budge. I have a very complete set of 16 pry tools, both plastic and metal....

Anyone want to make an offer on 11 brand new LEDs from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM?

Old 03-31-2019, 05:05 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

I tried for another two hours....even with a crow bar from behind. It’s like they are glued in place. I could remove the two outer instruments, but the three middle ones won’t budge. I have a very complete set of 16 pry tools, both plastic and metal....

Anyone want to make an offer on 11 brand new LEDs from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM?
Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 111 Posts

Try spraying the rubber seal around the instruments with Aerospace 303 or some silicone spray. This will make removal easier.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:05 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

I tried WD40 with no success. I haven’t had instruments out in 20 years. It is as if the gaskets have bonded with the dash material. The two end instruments that came out with a great deal of effort still had pliable gaskets. I am giving up (for the time being).
thanks
Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jeff
I tried WD40 with no success. I haven’t had instruments out in 20 years. It is as if the gaskets have bonded with the dash material. The two end instruments that came out with a great deal of effort still had pliable gaskets. I am giving up (for the time being).
thanks
Dim the instrument lights as much as possible, that will make the instrument lights last noticeably longer!
Sooner or later You will have to find a soloution, but if You dim the lights it will be as late as possible!

Last edited by Railmaster.; 04-01-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

It looks like the flange edge of the original gauges may be captured behind the carbon fiber facia slipped over them or the glue used to hold the facia migrated to the original gauge rings. If this is the case no wonder they won't come loose. You may need to remove the carbon fiber facia or soften any glue present first but this probably will damage the carbon fiber facia in the process. Waiting for a warm day and putting your car out in direct sun with the windows up may warm up and soften any glue that may be present if glue is the issue. Finally, the original trim rings were probably thin and black, the bright metal ones in the picture may be glued on or replaced the original and may be contributing to the gauges seeming to be unremovable
Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
It looks like the flange edge of the original gauges may be captured behind the carbon fiber facia slipped over them or the glue used to hold the facia migrated to the original gauge rings. If this is the case no wonder they won't come loose. You may need to remove the carbon fiber facia or soften any glue present first but this probably will damage the carbon fiber facia in the process. Waiting for a warm day and putting your car out in direct sun with the windows up may warm up and soften any glue that may be present if glue is the issue. Finally, the original trim rings were probably thin and black, the bright metal ones in the picture may be glued on or replaced the original and may be contributing to the gauges seeming to be unremovable
This would be my guess as well. Looks like the silver rings are locking the gauges to the carbon trim which is making it feel like the gauges are stuck.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:37 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jeff
I was planning to add LED lights to my 96 993 instruments. It took me an hour to get the clock out. I could not budge the speedometer and gave up after another hour plus trying from the front and back of the instrument. I do not want cause damage.
Is there a technique I am not aware of?
BTW, while I had the clock out I tested the clock with the LED lights and compared to my other instruments ... they were considerably brighter.
pp000830 may be onto something here regarding the carbon fiber piece holding the gauges captive. But if that's the case how did the clock come out of its socket? Do you have a photo? Did you reinstall the clock?

Did the car come with the carbon fiber, foo-foo piece, or did you install it?

Do you happen to have a photo of the clock removed from the dash socket and was the rubber gasket that surrounds the gauge, in place?

It is definitely not the Walrod trim rings holding the gauges in place, since the rings sit within the bore of the black gauge bezel itself which is all part of the gauge.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:41 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
^^ He beat me to it. Something looks wrong with how the previous owner installed that carbon fiber panel. Here's how I did mine, and gauge removal is just as easy as before the CF was added. Hard to say exactly what's going on with yours.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

With the aftermarket trim rings, sometimes people use an adhesive and to much to boot - they are then very hard to get off.

Chances are some of the adhesive bonded to the CF panel.

A light tab of bathroom caulk is best used - easy to get off and won't take the paint off the gauges if a customer decides he doesn't lie them any more.

Quick Reply: Instrument removal? LED install?