993 Forum 1995-1998

Front glass windsheild replacement in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 PM
silvewrc2s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front glass windsheild replacement in SoCal

Want to finally replace the front glass due to extreme pitting. Who is a good vendor and a good price?

Last time this was posted was last year and it was for the OC.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I do not know about others but the
  • windshield glass in our cars is bonded in as all newer cars are so other than using care I do not see any special skills reserved for a 993 are necessary.
  • Also, my understanding is that there are only one or two suppliers of the glass and they were both OE suppliers so being fussy about the branding of the replacement glass may not be relevant.
  • For me, the biggest issue is can you inspect the gutters surrounding the opening once the old glass is out for corrosion before the new glass is installed.
  • Also, a windshield can be polished in place to remove artifacts such as scratches without replacing the glass, have you contemplated this?
The following users liked this post:
FlatSix911 (04-17-2022)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by silvewrc2s
Want to finally replace the front glass due to extreme pitting. Who is a good vendor and a good price?

So Cal is HUGE

If anywhere near Escondido, call Ryan at Collisions Plus Performance.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
  • Also, a windshield can be polished in place to remove artifacts such as scratches without replacing the glass, have you contemplated this?
I'm pretty certain this is not true. I tried tirelessly to find a company that does this, and in the biggest car city in the world, Los Angeles, NO ONE does this.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

• windshield glass in our cars is bonded in as all newer cars are so other than using care I do not see any special skills reserved for a 993 are necessary.
  • Also, my understanding is that there are only one or two suppliers of the glass and they were both OE suppliers so being fussy about the branding of the replacement glass may not be relevant.
  • For me, the biggest issue is can you inspect the gutters surrounding the opening once the old glass is out for corrosion before the new glass is installed.
Special skills may not be required, but you want a shop that uses Porsche OEM rubber. And there are cheap Chinese 993 windshields out there, I am told.

OP - If you are anywhere near Los Angeles, National Auto Glass on La Cienega is where you want to go.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Not really... Safelite installs non-OEM glass, at least, that is what they told me last year when I was shopping for new glass. Perhaps it is made by the same supplier; but, it doesn't have the Porsche markings. I went elsewhere and played a lot more for glass that has the Porsche logo on it (a triangle with a "P").
Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Safelight did mine and the glass was by SIGLA. a brand manufactured by Pilkington's. subsid Flachglas AG
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by silvewrc2s

Make sure your shop has the appropriate P glass install write ups and the templates. If they say yes to both you found the right shop. These windshields are tricky to install correctly and get positioned right so the trim rubber covers the body channels. The templates and spacers are key.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm pretty certain this is not true. I tried tirelessly to find a company that does this, and in the biggest car city in the world, Los Angeles, NO ONE does this.
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ect-Correction
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got a replacement here at home in Wisconsin with Safelite and was happy, original Pilkington glass and good install.

Cut to - drive to CA and rock broke the 2 month old windshield so I went to Safelite in Riverside and wasn't worried. Mistake . . . Chinese? glass Fuyao?, gaps, waviness. Told them that I wasn't satisfied, pointed out their "satisfaction guarantee" and they ordered Pilkington glass and it was a world better. No charge for the re-do.

But . . . somewhere along the way they screwed up the wipers rain sensor in the rear mirror. Didn't discover this until later when there was actual rain in CA. Replacement was warranteed but the hassle should have been avoided. So if you go to Safelite, specify OEM glass (they can do it) and caution about the rain sensors.

I have glass insurance and none of this was out of my pocket but I was surprised that Safelite replacement was less expensive than I expected:

Labor $170
Cheap "chinese" glass $434
Pilkington glass $540 - definitely worth it no matter who is paying the ~$100 difference.

with tax and good glass - $750 out the door.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:29 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Was that $750 covered by insurance or just out of pocket?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
Got a replacement here at home in Wisconsin with Safelite and was happy, original Pilkington glass and good install.

Cut to - drive to CA and rock broke the 2 month old windshield so I went to Safelite in Riverside and wasn't worried. Mistake . . . Chinese? glass Fuyao?, gaps, waviness. Told them that I wasn't satisfied, pointed out their "satisfaction guarantee" and they ordered Pilkington glass and it was a world better. No charge for the re-do.

Labor $170
Cheap "chinese" glass $434
Pilkington glass $540 - definitely worth it no matter who is paying the ~$100 difference.
with tax and good glass - $750 out the door.
When did you go through this with Safelite? It makes sense that they might have different offerings for different regions. When I inquired last year, they said that the only glass they could offer was the made in China stuff.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:27 AM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had Safelite replace my windshield yesterday. This is my second windshield replacement with Safelite in 3 years. Bad luck with a big rock. Both jobs were in CA and both were roughly $800 out the door. There’s online coupons out there to save a little bit. Both windshields I’ve had done with them are Pilkington.

My only advice is make sure you know how to remove the dashboard. Or better yet, remove it yourself. The rest of the job is easily accomplished by the tech. I also bought the original seals prior to the job.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:19 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Ivan J
When did you go through this with Safelite? It makes sense that they might have different offerings for different regions. When I inquired last year, they said that the only glass they could offer was the made in China stuff.
This was just last September. The "Fuyao" glass was terrible. There was a gap on the inside next to the A pillar where I could shine a flashlight and see, and even touch with my finger, the paint color of the car and the electrical connector for the "in-glass" antennae. Replaced with Pilkington glass and the problem was gone. I don't even know how since it doesn't seem that the fit problem could exist. The Pilkington was available within a day. I just needed to ask, and as I said the price difference wasn't huge (in Porsche service terms)

Re insurance, I have "Platinum" coverage that covers without a deductible at "preferred" providers, ie Safelite. When I went back and insisted on Pilkington glass, I wondered if I would have to pay something but they just did it without even writing up a new invoice. (Your Mileage May Vary) *Watch out if you have the rain sensor on the mirror though.*
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

​​​​​​
Without the knowledge, skill and ability of performing this task adequately and professionally, it would seem rather easy to distort the optics of the windshield.

"They" say the OEM German glass is soft in comparison to American windshield standards...

I went elsewhere and played a lot more for glass that has the Porsche logo on it (a triangle with a "P").
I always thought that was Pilkington logo...but I'm still learning. BTW, did paying a whole lot more, feel better in the end? No pun intended, but I damn sure would not want some effin China made glass in my P-car!

Last edited by nine9six; 03-20-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Front glass windsheild replacement in SoCal