Sponsored by:

Advice please, supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Love mine. No issues with it. I respect others perspectives, but by todays standards its hard to call a 993 balanced with 240 rwhp. Its certainly not unbalanced with 80 more. And for me at least the addition of the SC kept it much more interesting and fun. I have had no increase in normal maintenance issues. Seamless power and best is its mostly notable in midrange relative to a turbo.
I would at least drive and compare rather than taking opinions. I am sure it does lower resale as any mods like this do. But the disadantage as a seller later, should be cancelled by the advantage it should be to you now as a buyer.

What has yet to be mentioned, are those who re-gear the 993 to compensate for the less-than-desirable gear spacing. This is a expensive upgrade which usually includes modifying or upgrading the LSD, if so equipped or added.

A supercharger does an excellent job of compensating for the standard gearing of the US spec 993's, for significantly less money.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:17 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Super charged 993 dyno graph. Protomotive tune, bigger injectors, and custom intercooler.
Mine is rock solid reliable and the torque curve is fantastic. It makes a sold 300 ft lbs from 2500-redline. Ditching the piggyback boxes and going with protomotive tune made a huge improvement. I highly recommend the setup.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

[Mine is rock solid reliable and the torque curve is fantastic. It makes a sold 300 ft lbs from 2500-redline. Ditching the piggyback boxes and going with protomotive tune made a huge improvement. I highly recommend the setup.
[/QUOTE]

Did the same with mine after the first 2 years with it. Much simpler way to go i agree.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:48 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Super charger is a pretty simple device. Not much can go wrong with it.
If it's on the car then I consider it a bonus. Take it off and sell it later if you like.
Key questions I'd ask would be if all the stock gear that came off when the SC was installed is present and included in the sale.
Find out what configuration the SC is - i.e. stock TPC install? Installed by who?
What else was modified.
Possible areas to argue for a discount.

You won't find better bang for buck for added power to the 993.
Smile factor and daily driveability doubled straight away.

Old cars on the other hand have lots of things waiting to go wrong with or without supercharger.
I would say that the owner who went to the length of purchasing and installing the SC would have cherished his car to a degree.
Otherwise why spend that amount of money - and they would have dropped a fair few dollars to do so.
During daily driving the car was probably driven at vacuum and not boost for most of the time. That would be logical.

I think most SC owners - who have lived with the upgrade are generally happy with it.
People who have never owned or driven an SC 993 have good comments.
But sometimes the reality is different.

Either way - you need to check everything with old used cars.
I'd be more worried about engine rebuild time, bushes, bearings, suspension, brakes, steering rack, and every other things that is expired on a 23 year old car.

Good luck
Many thanks, excellent comments, still weighing the possibilities.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:37 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I put a screw type supercharger on my land cruiser. It made the truck worth ownng in my opinion. At the time the main issue that some complained about was the premature wear on the wipers on the screws. This lead to low boost levels.

Given that the sc on the 993 is also a screw type, There is a risk that the wipers are worn, but i have never come across that as a complaint. The only complaint i had was it always sounded like a bad ford power steering pump. My fuel consumption went up too, but that was my fault.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had a TPC supercharger for about 3 years and 16,000 miles.
no regrets for me either, I also don’t think it overpowers the chassis at all.
i do think it helps to verify the shop that installed it, my shop has installed numerous units and was not practicing on my car, good luck with your search

Quick Reply: Advice please, supercharger