993 Wide Body kit (FVD)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 AM
ksluna
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 993 Wide Body kit (FVD)

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with putting just RSR flares on a NB 993?

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD504399/...-body-set.html

Is it sacrilege to widebody a 993 without going the full RSR conversion? If going this route, I'd just want to widebody the car, and not necessarily make a "clone"
Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 AM
JEllis
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Plenty of folks have put RSR flares on a NB 993. Do what makes you happy.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM
ksluna
Advanced

Originally Posted by JEllis
Plenty of folks have put RSR flares on a NB 993. Do what makes you happy.
ok. I just wasn’t sure if putting on flares without all the other RSR parts was looked down upon, lol.

Do you know know if I would need new rocker panels or side skirts if the flares were installed? And would running wider tires decrease the handling the of the car/alter the speedo readings?
Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need the side skirts as well as the flares. Wider wheels/ tires don't change the speedo, a change in height does.

To do it properly you need to move the front suspension side members out to the widest position and then add spacers. You will also need to have the ability to recamber the front car, so adjustable camber plates are required. You will also need to change out the tie rods to cater for the extra width.

Some guys do it by just changing the offset of the wheels, this is not the right way to do it.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM
ksluna
Advanced

Originally Posted by trophy
You need the side skirts as well as the flares. Wider wheels/ tires don't change the speedo, a change in height does.

To do it properly you need to move the front suspension side members out to the widest position and then add spacers. You will also need to have the ability to recamber the front car, so adjustable camber plates are required. You will also need to change out the tie rods to cater for the extra width.

Some guys do it by just changing the offset of the wheels, this is not the right way to do it.
Ignorant question - but how is changing the offset (going for a lower offset wheel) any different than having a higher offset wheel and adding a spacer?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What he's getting at is that you have to readjust the geometry of the forward suspension in addition to potentially using spacers with the wheels to do it "right." And there are lots of additional/replacement components needed to do it right.

Also I agree with an earlier statement that riveted flares without the wider side skirts will just look odd (I.e. half-a$$ed).

Quick Reply: 993 Wide Body kit (FVD)