Sponsored by:

Wide Oval scrape repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:37 AM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wide Oval scrape repair

It seems that quite a few owners that have wide oval exhaust tips have had issues with the bottom scraping pavement, particularly wide body tips (7110). Has anyone had experience having the tips repaired?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Don't the scrape marks face down where one can't see them?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the OEM wide oval tips are chrome plated. I have aftermarket ones that are polished stainless which are very easy to repair. Blend the scratches out with a Roloc disk and repolish.

If the OEM ones are in-fact chromed you'd need to strip and replate.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM
waizone
Rennlist Member

^^ being OCD I unfortunately see everything....
Old 03-01-2019, 10:28 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

I have a set of these that are pretty beat up. They are not chrome plated- they are polished Stainless steel- but mine would need to have metal added back. These are incredibly expensive, so maybe it's worth repairing- I'd love to see some before/afters and know of a shop that can do this work reasonably priced.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:56 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
I have a set of these that are pretty beat up. They are not chrome plated- they are polished Stainless steel- but mine would need to have metal added back. These are incredibly expensive, so maybe it's worth repairing- I'd love to see some before/afters and know of a shop that can do this work reasonably priced.
Can you define reasonably priced? Unfortunately, this is all hand labor and very time-intensive.

I have reworked the fabspeed single-walled wide oval tips, but probably not to the satisfaction of the OCD.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts

waizone, how do you deal with the soot in the exhaust pipe?
Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

I've got a pair of TechArt stainless tips for narrowbody. One has typical scraping on the bottom, the other has scraping that created a dent. If someone wants them for cheap please PM me.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:59 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by waizone
^^ being OCD I unfortunately see everything....
For the future just don't tighten the mounting bolts too tight so if they hit they will just deflect upwards slightly and you can loosen the bolt and reposition them back into position. If your car is lowered too much you will be revisiting this issue. An additional item to protect them from road rash is a skid plate that extends under them. I made something like this but didn't extend it under the tips. I see no reason why it couldn't be modified to protect the tips:

On my car, where I no longer use the OE under engine tray, the crescent-shaped skid plate is held in place via straps made from copper plumbing tube. The straps are attached to the two transverse exhaust mounting clamp studs using flange nuts. It floats under the bumper skirt but is not actually attached to it so when it takes a hit the shear force is not transferred to the bumper cover. At this point, it has saved me an expensive body repair on four or five occasions. Making such a guard is an easy DIY project involving some HVAC duct sheet metal and some copper tubing purchased at a local DIY store. In the above picture, the guard is a bright metal. I have since painted it black with high heat black spray paint. In either case, it is only visible from under the car.
Andy
Old 03-01-2019, 06:20 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I've got a pair of TechArt stainless tips for narrowbody. One has typical scraping on the bottom, the other has scraping that created a dent. If someone wants them for cheap please PM me.
I had mint TechArts. Key word is had. Until last weekend, when I forgot to leave the driveway at an angle (driveway is on an incline), backed out straight and dug some grooves into the street with said TechArt tips.

Slight loss of tip curvature visible in this photo taken about 10 minutes after.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

Exhaust ends and tips could have been designed to exit higher in the huge rear bumper - Carrera GT, 918!!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Way back when I acquired a set that were a bit rough. I cleaned them up and sent them out to Harley shop in KY to have them triple chrome plated. Came back gleaming; of course the inside gets plated too unlike stock where they are not polished.

Then I promptly scraped up the bottoms of both of them. Oh well. At least they are really easy to clean.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have personally reworked a set of factory wide ovals due to bottom wear from the previous owner.

They are stainless and they are chrome plated.

I used my TIG with stainless wire to fill and built up any of the thin areas. Then, it was sanding and polishing. Took hours but looked like new. I had to build up over the factory part number stamped on the bottom so if you are looking for originality...

I did not chrome plate them afterwards. After polishing you can see a very faint border between the plating and polished stainless. Just remember were talking about the bottoms of exhaust tips here.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Half German, on the weekends I put it in my pipe and smoke it Actually, soots not bad. 4 x year I polish with a good metal polish, inside and out. Works well.

I spoke with Darren at Fister and he has ceramic coated them in black. I'm sure that would look cool.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:35 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by waizone
Half German, on the weekends I put it in my pipe and smoke it Actually, soots not bad. 4 x year I polish with a good metal polish, inside and out. Works well.

I spoke with Darren at Fister and he has ceramic coated them in black. I'm sure that would look cool.
Thats not going to fill or remove the scratches that you already KNOW are there, waizone...perhaps a frontal and gouging your eyes out will help? J/K, Lol... good luck in finding your solution.

Quick Reply: Wide Oval scrape repair