Sponsored by:

Question for Pro Painters

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:24 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Question for Pro Painters

With over 100k on my car, I am looking into the future.
Maybe in a few years and more scars:
When it comes time for a repaint, what helps the cost?
Wondering If I go thru the time of removing quarter glass, door panels, headlights, door handles etc.
Will the hours I spent removing and then reinstalling greatly reduce your price?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes, but more importantly doing the disassembly and reassembly ensures that it's done correctly (if you know how). Body shops are almost always **terrible** at assembling a car. They don't know the intricacies of your particular model and they're not going to take the time to figure it out. Your car will be slapped together with the wrong fasteners, broken clips, poor fitment, etc. Do this part yourself.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:22 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Yes, but more importantly doing the disassembly and reassembly ensures that it's done correctly (if you know how). Body shops are almost always **terrible** at assembling a car. They don't know the intricacies of your particular model and they're not going to take the time to figure it out. Your car will be slapped together with the wrong fasteners, broken clips, poor fitment, etc. Do this part yourself.
Good advice. Plus it will allow the paint shop to focus their time on what they’re good at - and it’s not OCD disassembly and reassembly. They’ll appreciate you saving them this chore and will treat your car with care as a result.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap

Good advice. Plus it will allow the paint shop to focus their time on what they’re good at - and it’s not OCD disassembly and reassembly. They’ll appreciate you saving them this chore and will treat your car with care as a result.
I also like to agree, but I would like to get a fair and accurate read on labor man hours for disassembly and assembly, to assure I was improving my bottom line, rather than that of the body and paint shop.

If the shop gets the convenience, then I want the money.

In thinking about these comments, I liken this to how a repair shop would feel if a guy brought in all of his own parts and asked the shop to do the labor. The shop would essentially be giving away a portion of their profit margin, and how many shops are thrilled with that idea?

I guess its worth a shot but remain somewhat less than optimistic.
My $.02
Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

I would say if you are painting the same color remove the outer gasketting on the bonded in glass, front & rear and inspect for rust. If no rust leave that glass in and let them mask it so the repainted edge extends to the gutter under the outside gasketting.

For the non- bonded glass which I think just involves the rear 1/4 widows I would consider removing them.
In my view the key is to have the paint ridge that forms at the edge of the repaint be extended all the way under the gasketting to avoid later peeling or edge boundary artifacts

Painting the bumper covers off-the-car has the advantage of having the new paint edge well out of the way and avoiding edge peel/artifacts. It also lets the shop use a urethane 2 K formula on the bumpers that is able to flex without cracking from minor bumps after being painted.

Be aware the black gasket between the front quarter panels and the "A" pillars can be removed before painting and then replaced.

Ideally, locks and handles should be removed so once painted there is no propagation point for pealing or edge artifacts.

Invariably corroded, worn parts or dried out mounting seals for hardware such as the door pulls should be expected. If you disassemble the parts yourself you get to decide what gets replaced, whom it is purchased from and at what price. Also unlike the body technician, you need not be in a rush to slap it back together.

Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 02-27-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:32 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Well you can think of it another way;

Would you rather pay X for a paint job where the shop disassembles and reassembles the car poorly and overall you are dissatisfied with the end result

Or do that work yourself and basically pay the shop the same price but end up with a result you are more satisfied with.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Fully agree.

Andreas
Old 02-28-2019, 09:27 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Thanks, everyone for supporting my gut instinct, mostly, that it would be good to do. I would replace any gaskets, obsess about assembly and everything.

But the question is still open for pro painters, if you know one.

Will the hours I spend removing and reinstalling everything I can, reduce the cost and a guess to what extent?
My guess is a painter familiar to 993 would be best to answer this. Has anyone had their car painted recently, that can pose the question to their painter?

The discussion at my house is "Let them do it, they are the pros". My argument is "I will do it more carefully, and besides it will save money"
To which the other person said not enough to make it worth the hassle.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

The last Porsche I had almost everything off (sills, engine bay, interior etc were ok since same color and no rust) disassembly/assembly was about 1/4 of the cost on a very high end paint job. Disassembly/assembly will be a lot lot lot more if the interior/engine/suspension/electrical have to come off. The shop that did it only works on Porsches.

Some of the very good shops will not take the work unless they do disassembly/assembly, others are happy to not do it.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:48 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Whats really needed in your (re)paint job? A full repaint or just a refresher? I spent time reviewing the paint on my car and it was the front that had the need.

At 200k I had my front end touched up.. front bumper, hood. Just wanted it clean it up. Rest of the car was fine, just needed a nice detail. And some touch up/color sand where small scratches happen over time. Also, I have the factory Aero II kit and the rear wing seems to get whacked? I had a new windscreen to replace the old pitted one. so that came out, replaced the fog lamps and headlight glass. Damn it looks brand new now..
f
Old 02-28-2019, 02:31 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

As above you need to decide how good/bad your paint is, does some of it need restoring, say Bumpers and hood removed and painted or does it all need doing.? get some opinions on this.
I did a complete paint respray on my 1995 black convertible, it had knicks all over small door dings in rear fender. TX car so a lot sun fade and chips on front bumper and hood.
So I stripped bumpers, headlights, took fenders off, front windshield out, door handles, mirrors, side glass trim pieces, don't forget convertible so no side or rear glass,Took bumpers to refinisher and had totally stripped and re stressed, had bumperttes filled, took out the useless front washers on front fenders.
1. Decide if you are capable of stripping parts of the car yourself, I have the complete manuals and also downloaded a lot of the forum of "how to's". Organize the plan, I actually wrote mine down and discussed with the body shop. Put everything in plastic bags with parts all #, then you can look at them and see what you need to order for each bag/part like gaskets, bolts, screws etc. Need a place to store all the parts
2. Find the best paint shop in your area, go see there work, talk to them about supplying a striped down car, do they want bumpers off or will they do it, etc.
3. Ask will they strip down to metal or does it just need rubbing down top coating, ask what type of clear coat, how many coats, mine had 3 top coats then sanded again with 1000 and 2 more put on, then sanded again with 2000 and polished . It looks better than new.
4.The key with painters is giving them great surfaces to paint and panels, hood, bumpers off the car then they can do a great job. If there is no parts to take off and minimal masking and worrying about little corners to get around the better they can do the job.
5.The other point is having a great relationship with the body shop, be there at each stage.
6.I did trust mine to re fit fenders, get the write glass guy in to do mine, I did replace all window rubbers with new. I also did the door handles, mirrors myself. Also di the bumpers because glueing and stapling the rubber in the correct position is important.
7.I probably save $3-4K in doing it this way, it has taken all winter, but Im retired so I have time on my hands, Im am also an engineer so very methodical and this is probably the 10 plus car I've done over 30 plus years. I also paid cash.
8. Remember does the car really need re paint or just restore.
Food for thought
John
Old 02-28-2019, 03:12 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Sweet heavens, John !!

That is some great tips. I will print out when I get home!

As for the existing paint. Chips on mirrors and bumper / hood.
if that was all...unfortunatelu the po had them do both rear quarters, and the cut lines at the drip rails is evident. Also some pinholes starting to show up.
They did not remove the stone guards, just painted up to them!!

Quick Reply: Question for Pro Painters