Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prince's car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:35 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks pretty purple to me....I personally like it!!
Old 02-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the color is amaranth violet.. My car is Iris blue and it is not close to it!!

See this thread with the Amaranth violet color..exactly the same

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=amaranth

Old 02-07-2004, 03:08 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't there a guy in Hong Kong (or was it Singapore?) that had a turbo this very same color? Different. Stunning. He had some great photos, but it was quite a while ago.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Purple....Blue...whatever.....it's pretty cool, and somewhat unique!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

"Paint a perfect picture...bring 2 life a vision in one's mind..."

already hit 65 on ebay - but not the reserve!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:56 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

phatbut,

I am going to visit the "Purple" car in a couple of hours (I'm having my MDX serviced which is less than a mile away). I spoke to Maye at the lot and he confirmed that it is amaranth violet as several of you have pointed out above.

I have my digital camera with me, so please give me until this eve to post photos.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:40 PM
KeithR3
Pro

I like it! I saw an Iris Blue in person and it is a beautiful color. I would definitely add some 3 piece HRE's or Fikse's.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:45 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

It is NOT Iris Blue!!!

It is Amaranth Violet.

I just saw it in person 20 minutes ago. I can tell you the photos on autotrader, Ebay and Texastoys.com acurately reflect the color of it. To the man on the street, it is PURPLE. I took some photos that I can post later this evening.

The salesman who showed me the car, Maye, told me that Texastoys bought it from an individual (even though they are a stone's throw away from the Momentum Porsche dealership here in Houston).

The car looks very clean. No scratches or apparent body work (but I am no expert here and don't know what tell tale signs to look for).

The interior is gray and immaculate. The instrument panel has white gauges and the shifter and brake handle have aluminum. The seats do not look overly worn.

Maye said he found the name of the color on www.paintchip.com which doesn't appear to be a working website and just searched for 1996 colors.

If you can handle the color, not because it is "ugly" but too flamboyant IMHO, it is really a nice car. While I think the speed yellow is cool, I personally would not like the attention it draws. I think the same can be said here. This car is definitely an attention grabber. You will be noticed.

As for the difference in autotrader and Ebay's reserve (which has not been hit), Maye said that there is a discount for going through autotrader.com (?!!).

I did not test drive it as the car was blocked in by another car at the time, and I had no reason to jerk the seller around if I was not serious. I told Maye a friend was interested (friend = Rennlist, Ha!).

Well that's my report.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:47 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

As I thought a little more about it, I think that Ebay's reserve is probably grossed up from $65K to take the commission into consideration???

Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:30 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Yep my dear friends the color is indeed Amaranth Violet, just like my 993. The color isn't very common and that must be indeed because it is kind of in your face. The nice thing about the color is that it is changing with the light. Let say on a bright sunny day it is purple, and when it is grey and cloudy then it becomes almost dark blue!

I kinda like it since it is making the car less serious...

The official color code is T3 and was only used on the R & S program cars meaning R = cars produced August 93 till July 94, where the 993's were only produced officially from Jan 94. Although I come across a 993 once that was produced in August 1993. That one had a vin no that was very low so I assumed it was a pre-pro used for press intro's or so.
Anyway S = cars produced from August 94 till july 95.

After that Amaranth was no longer in the official color program.

Further more amaranth was a standard color, like speed yellow (X4) Riviera blue (S8) Guards red (G1), Black (A1) and grand prix white (P5). All these colors are non metallic colors.

Sorry for all the details... in short although I am not so extravert I love this color. Check them out in the Sun and as is more common here in Holland during a grey day:
Old 02-09-2004, 05:31 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by KatyTX
As for the difference in autotrader and Ebay's reserve (which has not been hit), Maye said that there is a discount for going through autotrader.com (?!!).
FWIW, I saw a 95 993 for sale on Autotrader for $29.9K, but it was advertised in the local paper for $26.9K. It sold a while back but it's still on Autotrader.

Quick Reply: Prince's car?