Rattling noise in the back - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Rattling noise in the back

Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 AM
haygeebaby
User

Default Rattling noise in the back

Guys
Trying to track down a rattling noise - like sheet metal tapping. Wanted to see who's encountered it or similar and had a fix for it.

So this is how I get the "noise". If I'm doing about 60kms (37mph) and in 3rd or 4th - revs are about 2500 to 3000 rpm - If i push he throttle down about 2/3rds I get the rattle noise.
Very "tinny" sound - like sheet metal rattling.
If the car is parked and I tap on the corners of the rear bumpers - around where the mufflers are located - on both sides - I get some sort of rattle.

Anyone had this and had a fix for it?

I figure I'm going to have to take the rear bumper off and drive around for a while to see if that's where the problem is coming from.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would check the muffler and catalytic converter heat shields as well as the rear fender braces (called "support tubes" in the parts diagrams) to see if they are loose.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM
pp000830
Shade Tree Fixer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
I would check the muffler and catalytic converter heat shields as well as the rear fender braces (called "support tubes" in the parts diagrams) to see if they are loose.
+1
Old 02-11-2019, 11:41 AM
skl2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also check to make sure it's not one of the little fender liner screws. Sometimes the rubber backing falls off and it pings against the inside of the fender. Noticed this in the rear in two of my 993s and was able to fix by putting a little felt adhesive thing under it.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Meenrod
Addict
Rennlist Member

I get this noise! Drives me nuts. I get it now over bigger bumps too.

If I hit the fender with the flat of my hand just above the rear wheel on each side I can recreate the noise but not locate it.

It is all I can hear now when I drive.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM
haygeebaby
User

Man - it's the worst feeling.
Thanks chaps - I will get the car up on jacks on the weekend and look at those places you all mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: