993 Forum 1995-1998

Experience of Cup cams in a road car

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Sutton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience of Cup cams in a road car

I buzzed my engine so it's going in for a checkup.

However, I got talking with the engine builder (Nick at Redtek) and the discussion touched on livening up things a little if I do need to go for a top end rebuild. I'm aware that RS cams and intake valves are a good upgrade for a car that sees predominately road use with the odd track day.

Does anyone have experience of Cup cams in a car that is used mainly on the road? Does the torque/ power curve move way up the rev range? I don't mind a slightly lumpy idle. I'm aware also that this necessitates losing the hydraulic lifters. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,
Do not have all the awnsers but some input. I have a Cup engine in my street 993 and it works great with no downsides.
Video with my 993.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Sutton
Advanced

Thanks for sharing that video Patrik. I love the philosophy behind the build - to maintain the everyday usability, whilst sharpening up the driving experience. The enjoyment derived from driving your car came across very clearly.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrik S
Hi,
Do not have all the awnsers but some input. I have a Cup engine in my street 993 and it works great with no downsides.
Video with my 993.
Patrik, I really enjoyed watching the video. Really cool setup and lovely car, Janko did a great job. Looking forward to seeing part 2 of the video. Cheers
Old 02-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rg0115
Patrik, I really enjoyed watching the video. Really cool setup and lovely car, Janko did a great job. Looking forward to seeing part 2 of the video. Cheers
Robert, Than you!
You also have a nice looking 993 that sounds great! Cool video
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I have RS cams on my street 993. It is awesome, I did have some trouble running the stock 96 ECU, as it would stall every once in a while when coming off acceleration and slowing down, e.g. freeway off ramps or just coming to a stop light/sign. I would up installing a 97 ECU with an RS fuel map (through Steve Weiner) and all is good now. there is definitely more mid range torque in the 3-5K RPM range.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have RS cams [also Andial sports clutch and lightened Euro RS flywheel] on my 1995 street Carrera 4. Like Kika, I did have some trouble running the stock ECU, mine too would stall frequently when decelerating or just coming to a stop.
Steve Weiner made a new chip, I installed it and never looked back. A friend of mine with a 1996 tried it and said there is definitely more mid range torque in the 3-5K RPM range compared to his.
This was 15 years ago - still going strong.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 AM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I am also running RS cams, LWFW, and Rennsport tune in my ‘98. It pulls strong and linear from 2500 and up ... hasn’t skipped a beat! The slightly lumpy idle sounds fantastic with Fister IIs but may play around with 200 cell cats in the next few months as well.

While I merely echoed the posts above about the RS cams, I would be curious to hear what others have to say about the daily drivability of Cup cams.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 AM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What bump in hp/torque are you guys getting with the cam upgrade and tune?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You will have no issues at all with cup cams, they are all relatively mild overall.

I have cams that are more aggressive than RSR cams and find no ill effects of torque curve nor excessive lumpiness.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Sutton
Advanced

Thanks Trophy.

That's what I had understood - that even the Cup cams are relatively mild. I've heard many good things about the RS cams and like the idea of retaining the hydraulic tappets but I always like to explore options (without trying to disappear too much down the rabbit hole). Emissions testing here is quite a bit more relaxed than in the US so I don't have that issue to worry about either.

I've just had a look at your epic thread outlining your build!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Happy to help, my car is a whole lot of fun

I have a set of 993 SS Cams sitting in a box at home somewhere if you are interested, they are a little more aggressive than RS cams.

I happen to be in the UK at the moment, flying out of Gatwick on Saturday morning...
Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 AM
Sutton
Advanced

Drop me a pm and we can arrange a meet!

As it happens, I'm meeting up with a couple of 911UK forum members tonight at 5pm. If you're available, we'd love you to be there to talk about your car.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 993pbug
I am also running RS cams, LWFW, and Rennsport tune in my ‘98. It pulls strong and linear from 2500 and up ... hasn’t skipped a beat! The slightly lumpy idle sounds fantastic with Fister IIs but may play around with 200 cell cats in the next few months as well.

While I merely echoed the posts above about the RS cams, I would be curious to hear what others have to say about the daily drivability of Cup cams.
To each his own, and in my case, I have to move another car to get the 993 out, so it is a PITA to use as a daily , but that has nothing to do with driveability, just accessibility. If it was more accessible, I would definitely drive ti to work more often, but probably not every day, as my commute is pretty boring, and just not how I want to use the 993. My current commute is 8 miles up PCH through Hermosa and Manhattan beach, so pretty much stop light to stop light, thus I drive the 993 like once a month, and sometimes less since I travel a lot for work.

When I had a 25 mile commute down the 405, with a few FWY interchanges and off ramps, I drove the 993 at least once a week (car pooled with 2 other adults the other days, so the 993 wasn't an option)

The way the car is set up, it really wants to get up and go, so stop light to stop light commuting just seems like caging a wild beast.

I guess what I am saying is that it is probably a function of what your commute is like as well.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

For those that went with the rs cams and fuel remap ecu did that impact your ability to get the car smogged in California? Thanks

Quick Reply: Experience of Cup cams in a road car