Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Question: How many 993RS's out there on the board...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually, Kim, I don't have the time either, but I do think the result would make an interesting reference source. The return on the time invested just doesn't warrant the effort at this point. However, if you live in Atlanta, I would be interested in helping with the mechanical jobs. I really like that kind of stuff. Robin and I have gotten pretty good at suspension work.

Hank Cohn
Old 03-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kim:

In 1982, I modified my ’82 Honda Prelude with springs, shocks and sways from Jackson Racing (I hear they are still around). I had never done a suspension project before and didn’t know anyone who had, however, I spent all my hard earned money buying the stuff and had no choice but to put it on myself. I had to remove the brake calipers in the process of changing the struts. The job was fairly straightforward and only took me about 11 hours (yes, 11 hours). I was very happy and proud looking at my lowered Prelude in the dim light of the garage. I decided to take it out to see what it would do. You guessed it, no brakes at all. I was lucky enough to continue backing the car into the neighbor’s driveway and stopped the car with the emergency brake. My 18-year-old mind decided that it was still O.K. to go for that drive, I would just use the emergency brake to stop. Fortunately, for me and everyone else on the road, the drive ended without incident and I learned how to bleed brakes. By the way, the car rode like a logging truck and I loved every second of it!

Hank
Old 03-19-2002, 02:45 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<strong>

My luck, I'd back out of the garage into the BMW which would roll over and hit my truck, which would then run down the 200 ft. driveway and up the neighbors driveway into thier recentenly renovated house...yeah...that about how my accident would go...nothing simple and very expensive... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like my luck....
Old 03-19-2002, 02:49 PM
KC993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin,
What happen to Gert's website, I can't link to it. Help?
Sorry about the OT but did not want to start another topic.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:56 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like he is having a DNS server problem. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, someone should be repairing it.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Rocket
Instructor

Herewith Autocar Articles somebody sent me

Right click save as <a href="http://www.marlinland.co.uk/other/RS/rsdoc.pdf" target="_blank">ARTICLE</a>

Rocket

P.S Adobe file size about 2.5mb

Enjoy
Old 03-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<strong>

LOL...my 41 year old mind kind of still works that way at times...."I wonder what would happen if I...*oops*"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

A rednecks last words: "Hey Jethro watch this.."
Old 03-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg:

LOL! I am originally from Baton Rouge, LA. You're getting pretty close to home with that joke. In fact, you're in my living room!

Hank
Old 03-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hank,
Don't think that Louisiana has a lock on rednecks, if you have never been to Eastern KY/West VA they give a new meaning to the word.
Greg
Old 03-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rocket:

Please thank whoever sent you the acrobat file It was very interesting reading.

Thanks for sharing,

Hank Cohn
Old 03-19-2002, 07:24 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by DCLee:
<strong>RS-- Sorry, I couldn't find a white smiley. Perhaps plaid?

for pix of my car:

<a href="http://www.ParabolicaMotorsports.com" target="_blank">http://www.ParabolicaMotorsports.com</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Lee,

Tell me about that shifter. I think that's the shifter I want (I mean "need").
Old 03-19-2002, 10:52 PM
vivars
Cruisin'

Oops, talk 'bout delayed responses ....... but my excuse is i've been travelling (& taking in the F1 GP race last weeknd in Malaysia) & didnt hang out here when you asked ....... anyway mine is a 1995 RS in Speed Yellow (yeaaaaaa!!) with GT2 spoilers front & rear ......... wanna take it with me when i finally go; nawww, will swear my son to never ever let it go. Cheers!
Old 03-20-2002, 11:47 AM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

D.J.--

Well, since you asked, that's a Fabcar 935-style shifter on the RS replica. I had it on the RSR and decided I couldn't live without it. I comes with an Apex coupler and you have to cut some of your stock center console section out to fit it--I had a piece of carbon fiber installed to fill the gap.

The Fabcar is a competition shifter. It takes *all* of the slop out of the normally vague 993 shift mechanism and gives you a rifle-bolt action. Like a rifle-bolt, though, you also get a discernible "clunk" when you bang into a gear and the shift action isn't fluid until the tranny warms up. This would be too hard-core a conversion for most sane people--but not me, of course.

On the plus side, you really have to work at it to miss a shift with the Fabcar...

Lee in D.C.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lee,
Where did you get the shifter? Do you have an extra one laying around? You seem to collect duplicates of parts.
Greg
Old 03-20-2002, 02:48 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg:

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare of this particular part. (Now if you want hoods, doors, sunroofs, rear decklids, fenders, interior bits, etc.--that's another story...)

Dave Klym at Fabcar makes the shifter. I have never seen it discounted. My recollection is that is goes for around $1300-$1600. OG Racing can get you one, as can other Fabcar dealers.

Since I was too much of a klutz to ever get totally comfortable with the stock box at the track, the Fabcar made sense to me.

Lee in D.C.

Quick Reply: Question: How many 993RS's out there on the board...