Pulled the trigger. NEW XC90...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger. NEW XC90...

Will be here tomorrow. Gave the MDX a last chance drive. Very nice car. But way to spongy for my taste. Lots of body roll. And the dealership insulted me by offering less for my Honda than Volvo did...ITS ONE OF THEIR OWN!! If they don't think much of their cars, why should I? On top of that, they put $2400 ABOVE MSRP. Sour taste for the local Acura dealer.

But I regress, I am really happy with the choice. Thanks to all for your input. At the end of the day, the XC90 was the only choice for the family. If not for two small boys, the BMW would have been the car.

Oh, its White and tan, with premium,climate, versitility packages, with Xenon's and wood steering wheel....Hope we like it as much as the 993......naaa, not much chance in the that!

Last edited by Rolo; 02-02-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Sailswish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kewl!! Love my XC90!!
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you get the T6 or the 5 cylinder? I like the XC90's in white BTW!

Tell us your first impressions!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Chris,

We got the T6. I have always felt it was a bit under powered. But after driving about every Mid SUV there was. Its really not. Will post more after a couple weeks of driving it....if the wife lets me.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

My wife loves her 2004 XC90. I feel better too with the two kids in it also. Impressive vehicle.

Tom
95, 993
Old 02-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats Rolo, You will or rather you both will enjoy the xc90. It's a good compliment to the 993.

Our's is similiarly equipped. We also added tint to the security glass, the clear bra and roof bars(the square thule ones) for skis and snowboards.

Next up for us is the trailer hitch so we can haul stuff and carry bikes. Different kinds of mods, but mods nevertheless!

-travis

'95 C4
'98 E430
'03 XC90 ruby red
Old 02-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Travis,

The trailer hitch and dvd video will be installed before the weekend! There is no way we could survive a 3yr old and a 1yr old without Baby Motz and diggers and dumptrucks! : )
Old 02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Some time back, my wife and I drove the XC90 at the Volvo Driving Experience at a local, retired air force base (El Toro). There were a number of different demonstrations and driving courses including a mini autoX.

Wether a passenger, or the driver, the SUV felt rock-solid and really car-like..

We went away REALLY impressed. Of coarse at the point in time, there were 6 or 8 month waiting periods. Plus no-discounts....

BTW, I got my money's worth on the autox part of the event

One of the guys I spoke to that day said they mount new tires on all of the XC90's at the end of every day on running! WOW!

He also said they toured like 30 cities putting on these driving (marketing)events...
Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I went to one of those events held on Long Island in New York State. The truck was excellent -- they had one demo where it was in some kind of medium size gravel pit that was like two feet deep. At least two of the wheels were almost completely submerged in the gravel and the four wheel drive pulled it right out! Truly amazing. I am going for a new S.U.V. in the next sixty days and this one is in the running. I will also be test driving the FX45. The other car in the mix is the Audi Allroad -- obviously I am looking for an S.U.V. for drivers! By the way -- if anyone wants to weigh in on these three in comparison to each other, please do. I know it's OT, but I am still interested.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

All,

Don't forget that there is also the Skip Barber / Volvo driving experience being offered to XC90 owners. Should be fun!

It's a free event and I signed my wife up for the Laguna Seca May date so that she can get hooked on this, uh, safety driving thing, yeah yeah that's it.

I can say that after her last BAR drive with the folks from this board, she's been pushing that XC90 a lot harder through the turns. Should be interesting what she learns from the Volvo event.

This should also make the mod budget for the 993 a little bit easier to expand too!

cheers,

-travis
Old 02-04-2004, 04:00 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody plan to (or currently) use the XC90 to tow with? I'm curious if the T6 with 280 lb-ft is enough to pull a car on an open trailer comfortably. Any thoughts.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rick964
Anybody plan to (or currently) use the XC90 to tow with? I'm curious if the T6 with 280 lb-ft is enough to pull a car on an open trailer comfortably. Any thoughts.

I think its supposed to pull 5 thousand pounds. So depending on the car it might be close. I'll say this. The trunk has pleanty of pull. My Dodge truck has a little less than the Volvo, and I am pulling my Father in laws bobcat about three times a year (when I can sneek it away from him). It weights 6k and that pulls fine.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally posted by Rolo
Chris,

We got the T6. I have always felt it was a bit under powered. But after driving about every Mid SUV there was. Its really not. Will post more after a couple weeks of driving it....if the wife lets me.
I have the T6 on the s80 sedan and i was amazed at the power of that engine. I think it's way too strong for it to be front wheel drive. If it were rear wheel drive, the s80 sedan would have been a quick car. Put a chip in that and you would be set!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally posted by Shant Ohannessian
I have the T6 on the s80 sedan and i was amazed at the power of that engine. I think it's way too strong for it to be front wheel drive. If it were rear wheel drive, the s80 sedan would have been a quick car. Put a chip in that and you would be set!
I totally agree. Our T-5 spec. 5cyl in our S-60 absolutely impress' me to no end. Its a very powerful sedan! Excellent fuel economy as well! Only a 2.3L engine. I wonder about how responsive it would be to a chip and exhaust work?

I guess I had better stop at just thinking about it as I have already slipped down one slippery slope already....Dont need two
Old 02-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally posted by chris walrod
I totally agree. Our T-5 spec. 5cyl in our S-60 absolutely impress' me to no end. Its a very powerful sedan! Excellent fuel economy as well! Only a 2.3L engine. I wonder about how responsive it would be to a chip and exhaust work?

I guess I had better stop at just thinking about it as I have already slipped down one slippery slope already....Dont need two
A chip would improve alot especially when your T5 is turbo. I've noticed anytime a car has a turbo, a chip adds alot more power compared to a n/a engine. The chip also costs anywhere between 750-1000$ for the T6. Not cheap at all but adds 25-35 true hp.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger. NEW XC90...