993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Hardback Sport Seat Foam

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Cougarav8r
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 34 Posts
Question 993 Hardback Sport Seat Foam

I am mid way through hardback sport seat project for my 98 993 C2S. The car did not come with the seats and a fellow local rennlister made a deal for me to purchase.
My vehicle is Arctic Silver and I wanted painted hardbacks to match.... I have completed the seat breakdown, sent the seatbacks off to paint, and now built seats back up.
Unfortunately one of the seats (driver) shows that the leather is a bit loose in the head rest area (only I can tell). If you touch the passenger side headrest the leather is firm against the foam but the driver side is ever so slightly bridging. I am wondering if I need to build up with more foam or ??? My feeling is that the foam is worn or compressed.... 20 years old.

I have looked everywhere for replacement foam and it is no longer made or stocked? Any suggestions?

Porsche part number for the foam is: 993 521 135 00
Old 01-08-2019, 04:20 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Try https://www.southboundtrimmers.com
Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

"Unfortunately one of the seats (driver) shows that the leather is a bit loose in the headrest area (only I can tell)."

It seems the looseness you speak of in the above statement is not cosmetically visible, maybe no action is warranted.
If you do want to stretch the leather a little the horseshoe part can be released from the force fit it has to the edge of the seat back and can be possibly restretched and reinserted. Keep in mind that the leather has had many years to conform to its present position and tension so it may not easily cooperate.
Not sure the foam tends to have problems in that part of the seat but once you release the outer rim around the seat you can slip some extra foam behind the existing foam insert to push it out a little and fill any perceived gaps.
Keep in mind disturbing the 20-year-old leather may introduce more problems than it solves.
Andy

Quick Reply: 993 Hardback Sport Seat Foam