993 Forum 1995-1998

The Newly Designed Cobra Nogaro Seats, Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Thanks for sharing. They look great. Seat installs are always tricky but you had the right stuff from Recaro and BK to make it success.
Thanks, and yes there’s always a learning curve. Lucky for all of us that Brey Krause thought highly enough of the Cobra Nogaro the make a dedicated bracket for air cooled 911’s. This thread posted in the BMW forum really captures the beauty of this seat for dual purpose street/ track cars. The article was written by one of Brey Krause’s own. A true enthusiast who was very helpful with the install. Cobra Nogaro Write-up BMW Forum
Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Cobras look good, Jim! And HMS is a dangerous place.
Too true about HMS. We’re lucky to have them in our backyard here in Massachusetts. If you’re in Texas looking to test fit a pair of Cobras you are SOL. The nearest Cobra dealer is in Phoenix. And ALL the Cobra seats here in the US are sold through HMS directly or indirectly. The same holds true for Schroth, also sold exclusively by HMS.

Strange that HMS was unaware of the change in the design in these seats. HMS carries so much great stuff it must be hard to keep track of it all. But they’ve been great to work with, and didn’t hesitate to take the seats back and reach out to Cobra to identify the problem.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman

Too true about HMS. We’re lucky to have them in our backyard here in Massachusetts. If you’re in Texas looking to test fit a pair of Cobras you are SOL.
Try Japan- haha. Actually there is a cobra dealer here but they don’t import the Nogaro.

Pete
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Too true about HMS. We’re lucky to have them in our backyard here in Massachusetts. If you’re in Texas looking to test fit a pair of Cobras you are SOL. The nearest Cobra dealer is in Phoenix. And ALL the Cobra seats here in the US are sold through HMS directly or indirectly.
Great thread Jim, thanks for posting additional info on the Nogaro. These are high on my list, actually trying to decide between the Cobra Nogaro or the Recaro Sportster but as you stated, I am SOL for test fitting a seat.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Those look really good. I had been considering them for my M3, but now I may have to look into them for the 964.

I know the CF seats are $5K, but I don't know about the others. I've been trying to access HMS's site for weeks to look into these but it always times out for me. Is anyone else able to access it?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
Great thread Jim, thanks for posting additional info on the Nogaro. These are high on my list, actually trying to decide between the Cobra Nogaro or the Recaro Sportster but as you stated, I am SOL for test fitting a seat.
Thanks Laurent. FYI I have sat in the Recaro Sportster, in a 964. It's s very nice seat, and quite firm. But the Sportsters felt a bit pedestrian and did not not provide the grip that the Nogaros provide in my estimation. More importantly, the shoulder harness slots in the Recaro Sportsters are far too low for taller drivers like us. Recaro is located in Southern Germany, but surely there must be some tall Germans there. The Profi SPG XL was the only Recaro seat with shoulder harness slots that were high enough. At 200 lbs., I was swimming the Profi SPG XL. It's far too wide for me, and it also sits too high up in the car. The Tillet seats are by far the best racing seat solution for taller drivers. But the Cobra Nogaro is a dual purpose seat, comfortable both on and off the track. It's so much easier getting into the car with the Cobra Nogaro's low side profile, yet there's ample grip in the seat bottom. The seat padding eliminates some of the road vibration, but there is still plenty of road feel in these Cobras. All in all, a very well designed seat.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Those look really good. I had been considering them for my M3, but now I may have to look into them for the 964.

I know the CF seats are $5K, but I don't know about the others. I've been trying to access HMS's site for weeks to look into these but it always times out for me. Is anyone else able to access it?
The regular fiberglass seats sell for about $1,200. Not sure why you're having issues logging on to HMS's website. I'm there far too often. HMS Motorsports

Unlike many shops, you can also pick up the phone and call HMS Motorsports. 888.467.3269. Brady Baxter is HMS's Cobra Nogaro expert. And HMS offers a 5% discount for PCA members.
The following users liked this post:
2000m2 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sexy.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:37 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Sweet! Good decision on swapping seats with the 964, and awesome write up as usual
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
Sweet! Good decision on swapping seats with the 964, and awesome write up as usual
Thanks Dean, agreed. The Cobras really do provide a different driving experience than the Tillets. The ride in the Cobras is less raw with the cushions, but there’s still plenty of road feel and grip. The Cobras are the perfect compliment to my 993 which still has carpeting and insulation. The car is remarkably quiet inside with the sound proofing that I installed. I may go deaf driving the 964.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:46 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

How are the Nogaros after a couple months? They seem like the ideal street (occasional track) seat. Whats your waist size if you dont mind my asking?

I actually called HMS this morning to inquire about it as i was curious about my 36" waist and comfort and they said I should be fine. I like that different thickness padding can be ordered to taylor fit the seat to the driver.

I'm 6'6" and want to sit lower than my factory seats offer but want adjustability so that my wife could potentially still drive the car. I figure with the thin butt pad and the sliders, in the lowest setting this may be an option :crossing fingers:
Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DGI
How are the Nogaros after a couple months? They seem like the ideal street (occasional track) seat. Whats your waist size if you dont mind my asking?

I actually called HMS this morning to inquire about it as i was curious about my 36" waist and comfort and they said I should be fine. I like that different thickness padding can be ordered to taylor fit the seat to the driver.

I'm 6'6" and want to sit lower than my factory seats offer but want adjustability so that my wife could potentially still drive the car. I figure with the thin butt pad and the sliders, in the lowest setting this may be an option :crossing fingers:
The car has been in storage all winter, and I haven't yet had a chance to test out the seats. Autocross starts in three weeks, so stay tuned! The spare cushions are a bit pricey - current plan is to just yank the cushions out for the track. I'm a 34" waist, and it's a snug fit. But the seat's open side-bolster design should be able to accommodate your 36" as well.

Your 6' 6" height is another story. I barely fit at 6' 4" and need to remove the lower cushion to wear a helmet. At 6' 6", a helmet will be a challenge even without the cushions. Have you looked at the Tillet seats? They're incredible, and would suit you perfectly (but perhaps not the wife).
Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 PM
DGI
Pro

The car has been in storage all winter, and I haven't yet had a chance to test out the seats. Autocross starts in three weeks, so stay tuned! The spare cushions are a bit pricey - current plan is to just yank the cushions out for the track. I'm a 34" waist, and it's a snug fit. But the seat's open side-bolster design should be able to accommodate your 36" as well.

Your 6' 6" height is another story. I barely fit at 6' 4" and need to remove the lower cushion to wear a helmet. At 6' 6", a helmet will be a challenge even without the cushions. Have you looked at the Tillet seats? They're incredible, and would suit you perfectly (but perhaps not the wife).
My car is a 996 coupe, not sure if that makes a difference. I know theres a Brey Krause sollution to mount the seats directly to the floor but am hoping to keep some adjustability.

Ive seen Tillet seats before and they are beautiful (their B5 model especially) but im hoping to keep the interior somewhat standard looking. Leather Cobras or Recaros look “correct” but full CF Tillets may look a bit off. Sexy as hell though lol
Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DGI
My car is a 996 coupe, not sure if that makes a difference. I know theres a Brey Krause sollution to mount the seats directly to the floor but am hoping to keep some adjustability.

Ive seen Tillet seats before and they are beautiful (their B5 model especially) but im hoping to keep the interior somewhat standard looking. Leather Cobras or Recaros look “correct” but full CF Tillets may look a bit off. Sexy as hell though lol
a
There should be plenty of head room in the 996. Yes, you may need the BK R-9044 seat floor mount adapter that you allude to. The good news is that Brey Krause has been busy at work designing new brackets for these seats. I'm guessing they have side brackets available for your 996. HMS can contact BK or better yet call them directly.

And I'm in complete agreement with you on the Tillets. I also wanted something more classic looking like the pole positions that look correct. in the car That's what led me to the Cobras.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:43 PM
DGI
Pro

a
There should be plenty of head room in the 996. Yes, you may need the BK R-9044 seat floor mount adapter that you allude to. The good news is that Brey Krause has been busy at work designing new brackets for these seats. I'm guessing they have side brackets available for your 996. HMS can contact BK or better yet call them directly.

And I'm in complete agreement with you on the Tillets. I also wanted something more classic looking like the pole positions that look correct. in the car That's what led me to the Cobras.
the low side bolsters make the Cobras VERY attractive!

Quick Reply: The Newly Designed Cobra Nogaro Seats, Installed