Temporary fan belt sensor fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:02 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Temporary fan belt sensor fix

Murphys law.

​​​Have just started a mini road trip and the fan belt sensor on my 993 C2S as often occurs decided to disintegrate half way through the start of the trip. The wheel resting on the belt essentially disintegrated itself and disappeared leaving the sensor resting totally against the belt. This caused a portion of the sensor arm resting on the belt to wear a ridge in itself which gave me an idea to pull the arm back with a zip tie using the ridge as a mounting point for the zip tie.

Not wanting the arm of the sensor to continue to rub and melt itself against the belt thereby causing wear to the relatively recently changed belts I opted to get the whole sensor out the way and disengage the stupid red warning light.

Obviously this means needing to monitor the belt condition and temperature of the engine to make sure all is well with the belt as the warning sensor will be essentially disabled with my temporary fix.

​​​​A quick trip to the hardware store for some zip ties allowed me to strap the sensor switch away from the belt as per the attached pics. This had the effect of removing unnecessary wear on the belt and at the same time turning off the fan belt warning light on the dash till I get back and replace the whole sensor as the sensor believes there is tension on the sensor with the sensor arm pulled back away from the belt.

Note that the sensor only identifies a missing belt and not belt tension.

Please remember to always check the condition of your belt and the engine temps with this quick fix to make sure all is well with the belt till a new sensor is replaced.

Last edited by Harold; 12-28-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately our 20+ year old plastics and rubber are the Achilles' heel. Glad you figured out a temporary fix and could continue on.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

My mechanic recently removed mine
Old 12-28-2018, 12:44 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...index&cPath=60
Old 12-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Get the RS hub. Eliminates three failure points: the belt sensor, the hub bearing, and one v-belt.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:22 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurotrio
Unfortunately our 20+ year old plastics and rubber are the Achilles' heel. Glad you figured out a temporary fix and could continue on.
Thanks very much mate.

Originally Posted by rcg412
My mechanic recently removed mine
Rather than remove it I may just leave it as is with the zip tie as it serves the same purpose.

Interesting but rather keep to oem.

Originally Posted by Churchill
Get the RS hub. Eliminates three failure points: the belt sensor, the hub bearing, and one v-belt.
Yes very true. Had this done on my Carrera.

Quick Reply: Temporary fan belt sensor fix