Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1120397-project-limoncella-restoring-993-into-a-cup-rsr-1-1-tribute.html)

cobalt 01-22-2019 09:46 AM

I wish you the best. I could be mistaken although after thirty years in the foundry industry involved in the manufacturing and inspection of parts like these and rather familiar with the rebuilding of these engines, I suspect you will be replacing a number of these parts. I agree with IainM on this one. The damage is down to the dendritic level from what I see and far less material will be present after they are cleaned especially the cam carriers, cylinders and case webs compromising the structural integrity. The oil pump and other mag parts are clearly no longer useable. They will make for interesting conversation pieces and no doubt you have learned a lot about these cars with all this work. Although the loctite 574 clearly does the job of sealing when in contact with metal and the absence of air. Amazing how well preserved some of the mating surfaces are compared to the surrounding material.

I hope I am proven wrong and look forward to the results.

911ist 01-23-2019 05:21 PM

That is some courage you have my friend and thanks for sharing...can't wait to see what's next!

budge96 01-24-2019 12:23 AM

I applaud your sincerity and considerable imagination but a small word of advise , why not try and get a complete running car to start with no less a RS Cup
clone ! Just an idea no disrespect ! Bert

Mikke_Possu 01-24-2019 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by budge96 (Post 15588836)
why not try and get a complete running car to start with no less a RS Cup
clone !

I think he already answer that question. Because he can and want. It's a hobby. Kudos to him :thumbup:

nothingbutgt3 01-24-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by budge96 (Post 15588836)
I applaud your sincerity and considerable imagination but a small word of advise , why not try and get a complete running car to start with no less a RS Cup
clone ! Just an idea no disrespect ! Bert

First of all, thank you for the advise: I am proceeding step by step, now the engine parts are in the cleaning shop, where after that will be expertised.
Finger crossed, frankly speaking, I know there are very few possibilities especially to recover cylinders and so also pistons.
Why I should want to recover those parts if in my mind I have an RSR engine?
Because if it can be, I'd like to rebuild its engine and reinstall, for the first few years of rebirth: for me this is the main way, having a matching number engine crank available.

Then, of course only if this would be possible without a big investment, otherwise I would invest other way.

But in my vision...perfect would be having, in the end, the lime yellow (summer because lime is not a nice expression) 993 in CUP chassis & RSR engine, AND next to it, it's original heart on a pedestal, showing itself proudly.

I doubted many times about making a cup of this 993, few friends told me just to rebuild it as it was, since it is a rare colour, nice option codes list, nice history...and I was and sometimes still am considering that (like in a vicious circle), BUT every single time this happens, in the end it arrives a little voice inside of me that this is a RIBIRTH.
A revenant, when it comes the luck unexpectedly to come back to life, usually does it as a completely different person.
If he/she has been strong enough not to loose him/herself passing though such a mortal experience, usually he/she is a better person, more self conscious, more accurate, more focused.
Quicker in thinking and able sometimes to foresee within situations thanks to experience and awareness. Stronger, in general.

That's why this beautiful car, in my project, cannot be just restored.

I already have in my garage the polar silver 993 you can see in the profile pic, almost totally turned into RS street version specs: I don't need another coupé.
I can only drive one at a time.

Stronger: seam welded chassis (as a CUP was designed) and welded Matter cage

Sharper: full uniball CUP set-up

Quicker in reactions: RSR powertrain

I am not a collector: in my idea cars are divided by the use you do, and also 993s are car, the best cars ever made (in my personal opinion).

Making of it a track car, will allow to preserve the other one in polar silver.

It is a long road...like following the path of a river from its mouth to its source.

Quadcammer 01-24-2019 09:01 AM

the reality is that none of the money we spend on these cars makes sense from a logical financial perspective. If we were smart, we'd buy CPO camrys and drive them till the wheels fall off.

If this is your passion, and you got the money, the time, and the energy to do this project, go for it. Hobbies are crucial to a fulfilling life in my opinion.

definitely interested to see pics from when the parts come back from cleaning

myflat6 01-24-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the reality is that none of the money we spend on these cars makes sense from a logical financial perspective. If we were smart, we'd buy CPO camrys and drive them till the wheels fall off.

If this is your passion, and you got the money, the time, and the energy to do this project, go for it. Hobbies are crucial to a fulfilling life in my opinion.

definitely interested to see pics from when the parts come back from cleaning

Truth

SpeedyC2 01-24-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3 (Post 15589074)

First of all, thank you for the advise: I am proceeding step by step, now the engine parts are in the cleaning shop, where after that will be expertised.
Finger crossed, frankly speaking, I know there are very few possibilities especially to recover cylinders and so also pistons.
Why I should want to recover those parts if in my mind I have an RSR engine?
Because if it can be, I'd like to rebuild its engine and reinstall, for the first few years of rebirth: for me this is the main way, having a matching number engine crank available.

Then, of course only if this would be possible without a big investment, otherwise I would invest other way.

But in my vision...perfect would be having, in the end, the lime yellow (summer because lime is not a nice expression) 993 in CUP chassis & RSR engine, AND next to it, it's original heart on a pedestal, showing itself proudly.

I doubted many times about making a cup of this 993, few friends told me just to rebuild it as it was, since it is a rare colour, nice option codes list, nice history...and I was and sometimes still am considering that (like in a vicious circle), BUT every single time this happens, in the end it arrives a little voice inside of me that this is a RIBIRTH.
A revenant, when it comes the luck unexpectedly to come back to life, usually does it as a completely different person.
If he/she has been strong enough not to loose him/herself passing though such a mortal experience, usually he/she is a better person, more self conscious, more accurate, more focused.
Quicker in thinking and able sometimes to foresee within situations thanks to experience and awareness. Stronger, in general.

That's why this beautiful car, in my project, cannot be just restored.

I already have in my garage the polar silver 993 you can see in the profile pic, almost totally turned into RS street version specs: I don't need another coupé.
I can only drive one at a time.

Stronger: seam welded chassis (as a CUP was designed) and welded Matter cage

Sharper: full uniball CUP set-up

Quicker in reactions: RSR powertrain

I am not a collector: in my idea cars are divided by the use you do, and also 993s are car, the best cars ever made (in my personal opinion).

Making of it a track car, will allow to preserve the other one in polar silver.

It is a long road...like following the path of a river from its mouth to its source.

A beautiful concept and PERFECT answer!

ShdwFx 01-24-2019 03:25 PM

Love your philosophy and following your REBIRTH closely!

IainM 01-24-2019 09:03 PM

One thing is for certain- this will be the lightest RSR ever
ive heard of acid etching the tub but this takes it to a new level

nothingbutgt3 02-09-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by IainM (Post 15590933)
One thing is for certain- this will be the lightest RSR ever
ive heard of acid etching the tub but this takes it to a new level

:roflmao:

Little update: I brought the engine parts to the shop to be cleaned with ultrasonic waves. Then the parts eventually still not clean or that will need more care (thinking about the cilinder walls) will be eventually cleaned with dry-ice system.

I also opened the gearbox...wow, it stinks, what a rotten egg smell! And I am not at some thermal bath...from a certain point of view, I think a lot but much better! (this I can say right because I do not have a wife, sadly and luckily)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4fec031e7b.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c141eb4170.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4fbf6b95d4.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...711c670d1e.jpg

Is there a way, a tutorial how to open the LSD and check how are the parts inside?

AOW162435 04-06-2019 11:14 AM

Any updates?

Andreas

nothingbutgt3 04-06-2019 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435 (Post 15754930)
Any updates?

Andreas

thank you for asking, Andreas

in fact for some things there are several good novelties, for others instead they are stopped at the stake.

Let's start with the positive notes

for budget reasons I have to go mostly for used parts, which I personally evaluated piece by piece before buying them.

I returned for 4 days on German soil, where I could find the magnesium parts of the engine that had corroded:
- right and left distribution chain boxes and relative covers, used sockets
- fan, fan seat, alternator (of a 964, they look the same, I don't know if they actually are)
- 993 GT2 oil pump

Then I also found:
- complete set of cylinders, pistons, related pins, from a car with 50,000 km whose owner has decided to upgrade to 3.8 liter kit
- engine support of the 993 RS or964/993 without A/C (also used)
- 2 new front fiberglass hoods, one for the 993 silver, one reinforced for the 993 yellow
- original spare part to replace the roof skin
- power steering pump
- then I found out who can revise the ZF power steering box not far from where I live
- I should have found the cables for the entire electrical system
- I found two used doors, complete with everything, including the inner lining and the windows, which I will have to decide whether to use as simple masks in the bodywork (and install two fiberglass ones) or use them
- I found OEM BOSCH headlights leftovers new in European version
- I found the ABS control unit with ABD, used and in perfect condition

So I only need one thing in order to start with the bodywork: the Matter cage. And the best way to install it, I think is to do it once the roof is removed.

About 2 weeks ago, as you guy here advised me, I sent a request for "help" to Porsche A.G. but so far I have not received any reply.
I hope they answer me soon.

Also because it is impossible for me to start with the body work without having not only the tubes related to the cage matter, but also the specifications for its assembly (welding, etc.) and the specifications of the reinforcements provided by the Porsche Company.

The components subject to wear of the engine, that are the typical components of a total engine overhaul, will be taken new in Porsche in due time, i.e. in about 1 year.

Another positive note, I found a mechanic who worked on the Porsche CUP (993, 996, 997, 991 CUP) which would have suggested me to consider installing on the engine, not its original Motronic control unit, which is able to command only one butterfly, but a control unit of another brand, a modern version, able to control 6 throttle bodies, remove all the intake system and leave the trumpets with two beautiful elliptical air filters on top of them. This sounded so racing to me...honestly I like the idea a lot.
With this operation and a fine-tuning of the engine, according to him, it is possible to obtain much higher performances compared to the same 3.8 kit controlled by the motronic.Honestly again, I have no evidence about it.

For budget reasons, but also for respecting the concept of matching number, I do not want its original monoblock to be reworked to house 109mm Mahle cylinders, because the car would totally lose its originality.

So the first step will be to restore the 3.6 engine, installing a different engine management: later and more calmly, the RSR 3.8-liter engine construction project and related gearbox will start. And the 3,6 liter engine will proudly show itself on a pedestal next to the car

I am currently looking for bearings to repair the gearbox, bearings whose cost at the official network is really very very high (I would say almost absurd) and for this reason I'm looking for equivalent OEM spare parts.
I am in no hurry and the money I would save could be used to buy other things in the future.

There is only one negative note:
I don't have the Matter cage and Installation specifications yet.
It is not my intention to install other types and therefore the start of bodywork is strictly bound to finding the parts and information necessary for their installation.

I believe a good part of the budget will go in the purchase of the 5 circular instruments and the braking system, which at least initially will remain its original (slim carrera), but with ABS-ABD, because lighter and already sufficiently sized to stop a car of 1370kg, so more than enough for a car that will weigh at least 200kg less and is not intended to be involved in endurance races, but only in some track days.

it's amazing how many parts are still in such good shape: the chassis doesn't have the slightest sign of corrosion.
the tinsmith advised me, once the shell was replaced and all the panels were welded, to coat the inside of the tubes with a sort of spray wax that could protect them from rust for the days to come.

Soon I will definitely have to dismantle the electrical system, taking care to mark the position within the fuse box of each of the bundles of wires that come together.
Once this is done, the last parts to be removed from the car will be the braking system lines, and at that point the car will be totally naked.

It seems like an entire life has passed since I bought the car, it doesn't seem like only eight months have passed.

if I can speak sincerely, it doesn't seem possible to me to do what I'm doing.

But it is so ... and at the same time it seems to me the most natural thing in the world. (but from the feedback of my friends I realize that it is anything but).

Despite the economic commitment that is important enough for me, but above all of mental energy, dedicating myself to this project does not tire me out at all, nor have I lost the slightest enthusiasm or feel tired or changed my mind. (I find myself asking it sometimes and I am surprised every time I get the answer, which is always the same)

Indeed, the more I go forward and acquire informations, the more everything seems clearer and simpler.

Even the people I talk to, the people from whom I bought the parts, I see it from how they interact, compared to the beginning, they understand they have in front of a person aware of knowing what is looking for.

This simplifies a lot, but really a lot the entire experience, it gains respect due to knowledge.

sometimes it even happened to me to explain to the seller which other parts he had in stock :) it was so nice and funny time :)

ed devinney 04-06-2019 12:45 PM

Superb progress!

I just had my gearbox rebuilt, and the bearing prices are absurd even outside the dealer network. However, I was advised that one should look at the origin of the bearings - the cheapest ones are not worth using.

nothingbutgt3 04-07-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ed devinney (Post 15755103)
Superb progress!

I just had my gearbox rebuilt, and the bearing prices are absurd even outside the dealer network. However, I was advised that one should look at the origin of the bearings - the cheapest ones are not worth using.

Thank you Ed, for sure I am going for original supplier FAG or TIMKEN or whatever it was.

Another part I will need for sure are the Ventilstößel = idraulic valve tappet

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1bb679ef13.jpg

regarding this, having to change all 12 of them, I wondered what the differences were: on the PET one version is indicated without any size (probably because it is the standard one), then one with size 1 and finally another with size 2.
Can anyone tell me what it means and for what uses they were differentiated?