Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New sound: pending clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 12:14 AM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default New sound: pending clutch problem?

I've noticed a new sound that has me wondering about my clutch. When easing the clutch out from a full stop, i hear a noise that reminds me of the sound of a failed bearing in the spoiler drive transmission, when the spoiler is retracted. The noise goes away once the clutch engages, I only hear it during the transition. Any ideas?

The clutch was replaced less than 12k miles ago, along with all the while you're in there stuff (DMF, RMS, fork, and slave cylinder).
Old 12-25-2018, 03:04 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Throw out bearing.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:04 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Record the sound and post it.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Was the pilot bearing replaced and lubed with the clutch replacement?
There are a few different friction plates specified for a 993 some have coil springs that could conceivably rattle when spinning and not under torque.
Other's thoughts on if this? Is it possible?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Record the sound and post it.
I tried; but, the sound is lost due to the Fister-3s. Its the sort of sound that can only be heard by someone very familiar with these cars. I'm going to take it to Haydon Bros and see what they think....
Old 12-25-2018, 09:32 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Throw out bearing.
Originally Posted by pp000830
Was the pilot bearing replaced and lubed with the clutch replacement?
There are a few different friction plates specified for a 993 some have coil springs that could conceivably rattle when spinning and not under torque.
Other's thoughts on if this? Is it possible?
All of the replacement parts were factory original, including a new DMF. I can't specifically say if the Pilot bearing was lubed, because I didn't do the work myself (I don't have a lift in my garage, Haydon Bros in Anaheim did the replacement). There was a very long list of work performed, such as replacing the seal for the power steering drive, the clutch master and slave cylinders, pedal cluster rebuild, etc. I don't think that they would have cut any corners by not replacing any clutch related components, perhaps one of the replacement parts has failed.

The noise in question is a recent development. The noise is not present when idling in neutral, regardless of whether or not the clutch is engaged. The noise is only present during the 1 or 2 seconds during which the clutch is gradually being engaged when taking-off from a dead stop. Other than that brief transition period, there are no strange noises and the car shifts through all of the gears like the day it came out of the factory. Is this behavior consistent with a bad throw-out bearing? I'm starting to think (ok, hope) that I might be hearing a vibrating heat shield. I plan to visit Haydon Bros this week and see if they can isolate the source.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

On my rs i went through 3 pressure plates and 2 throwout besrings. All bad after a few 100 miles all Porsche parts. It happens. It sucked. It wasn’t the shop the Porsche parts were bad.

That said tob you hear on clutch engagement.

Can you post post audio or video?

Old 12-26-2018, 01:44 PM
John Crisalli
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about this, but isn’t the pilot bearing a sealed roller bearing? I think the last one I replaced years ago was a sealed unit and not a brass bushing. If Porsche puts sealed bearings in the front hubs why would they put a serviceable unit in an inanaccessibe location. Not at home to check the service manuals or Porsche PET. When I get home tomorrow I’ll check and report back. As usual, just my opinion, I could be wrong.

JC
98 C2S widebody
Old 12-26-2018, 02:24 PM
aaron.finch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've conduct with technician to remove the transmission from the vehicle but din't get proper output!
Old 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Does the sound only appear when it's cold outside and car is cold? My car made these sounds in these conditions due to belt tightening from cold and fan/alternator bearings were going.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got under the car today with a rubber mallet, to see if I could find some sheet metal that might be loose. I think that I found the problem. When I tapped the shield between the catalytic converter and the bumper with the mallet, the sound seemed consistent with the noise that I've been hearing. I found that 3 of the fasteners that mount the heat shield between the bumper cover and the catalytic converter were loose. Sorry for the lousy photo.... these fasteners are located along the inside edge at the bottom of the bumper cover. I tightened all of the fasteners and went for a test ride, the noise seems to be gone. Does anyone know if these are the standard fasteners for the heatshield? It seems very un-Porsche-like. There are very large holes (or slots) cut into the heatshield, and these fender washers are used to clamp the shield to the inside of the bumper. The fender washers are not quite wide enough cover the large cutout in the shield. I looked at the PET; but, I can't tell from the drawing if these are the standard fasteners.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Originally Posted by myflat6
Does the sound only appear when it's cold outside and car is cold? My car made these sounds in these conditions due to belt tightening from cold and fan/alternator bearings were going.
I've been there too, it only happened on cold winter mornings. I went through 2 of the Bosch rebuilt alternators within a few hundred miles, due to bad bearings. I converted to the single-belt RS pulley, to eliminate the fan hub bearing.

Quick Reply: New sound: pending clutch problem?