Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Momo horn - is it wired correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Momo horn - is it wired correctly?

Hey guys,

I installed my Momo steering wheel today and the only issue I’m having is that the horn isn’t working. I wired everything according to the DIY RS install and I don’t have any airbag light. I’m just not sure how the horn button needs to be wired. If the picture below is correct, I’m thinking maybe my horn contact button isn’t bent out enough. Appreciate any and all help.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:57 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Technically the central terminal on the button is power so your leads are reversed but it's a simple switch and shouldn't make a difference. If you touch the two wires together the horn should sound. Most likely the L-shaped horn contact lever you installed on the multifunction switch (aka turn signal switch) is not making contact with the horn ring on the momo hub. You will need to slightly bend the contact lever out or grind away a small section of it for it to touch the horn ring on the hub correctly.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev
Technically the central terminal on the button is power so your leads are reversed but it's a simple switch and shouldn't make a difference. If you touch the two wires together the horn should sound. Most likely the L-shaped horn contact lever you installed on the multifunction switch (aka turn signal switch) is not making contact with the horn ring on the momo hub. You will need to slightly bend the contact lever out or grind away a small section of it for it to touch the horn ring on the hub correctly.
Thanks for the correction on the leads. And I turned the wheel about 180 degrees and was able to get the horn to sound... so I guess the horn contact is my answer. Where does one grind to fix the issue? I’m going to see if I can bend it to make it work but open to other solutions as well.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:00 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Got it sorted out - everything works as it should. And wow, what a dramatic difference in driving experience by adding the aftermarket wheel. I can feel all the little bumps in the road and the steering just feels much more precise.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:48 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 599 Likes on 352 Posts

i know what you mean. i put a new steering wheel on mine about a month ago and i honestly can't believe the difference. cheers.

Quick Reply: Momo horn - is it wired correctly?