Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 06:29 AM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get ready after Hibernation

Hi Everyone,

its currently the saddest time of the year for me when my 993 is hibernating in the garage and will only get out again in April - yipee.

I was looking after her yesterday and, as it is my first year with my dream car, wondering whether there is anything specific that I should absolutely be doing before driving once I get her on the road again (will have been siitng in Garage since December 2003). Car just got the 90k service at my local P dealer before going into winter sleep.

All recommendations are welcome, cant wait to get back driving again - winter sucks!!

Christoph

Old 02-01-2004, 09:12 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Chris,

Agree, been a rough winter around where I live too. Not sure
exactly how your car was stored. But what I do is the following:

1) Put car back on insurance.
2) Check under car for any leaks.
3) Check around engine and front areas for anything unusual, like mouse droppings.
4) Check area around battery for anything uncommon. I suspect your was on trickle charger.
5) Check air in tires if were over inflated.
6) Pump brakes and clutch.
7) Start car, and let idle for about one minute or two and check again for any leaks.
8) I slow drive car around locally under 3K RPMS until the oil fully warms, about 30 minutes.
9) Than drive as normally would, probably refill gas after first run to get some fresher gas in tank, and recheck oil.

7)
Old 02-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you check all the gauges. I have one that is particularly worrisome. I normally allow the car to warm up to 50 - around April or so.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mo, Dudley,

thanks a lot for the good advice. Lets hope for s ahort winter and a great summer!!

Chris
Old 02-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you guys think starting the car weekly up in the garage to bring the engine to operating temperature is a good idea ? (Of course I will have CO monitor for the house and with garage door open)
Old 02-01-2004, 02:15 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I start mine every few weeks to keep the seals lubricated.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:34 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I try to drive mine once a month for 45 minutes, otherwise just let it sit. I believe starting once a month never gets engine to right operating temperture and causes more condensation internally because the engine never gets to true operating temperture. IMO, if car is store properly - having it sit for about 3 months is no big deal.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:20 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

In my owner's manual Porsche does not recommend bringing it to operating temperature while idling. But like you mine is off insurance for the winter. I do move it around every 2-3 weeks to make sure the tires don't flat spot. I also have the tires on a double rubber (about 1") mat from Sams Club. And when does it get that cold down south in MA?

Oh and in addition to Mo's suggestions, I add a bottle of the Techtron elixer in the Spring.

Al
Old 02-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

I start mine up every three weeks or so. It usually has a bit of blue smoke for the first thirty seconds or so, hoipe this does not mean anything bad.

Back to Mo's top 1: get back on insurance - there is a special license plate for us here in Germany that basically shows the months during which your car is insured. You just leave it on the car and insurance automatically is granted when the time comes (for mine its April to October) - do you guys have something similar in the US?

Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On any car its a good idea to run the A/C occasionally during the winter - keeps the compressor seals lubricated.

maybe just 2nd'ed DC in CC.

Stay warm

Howard
98 C2 cab tip glacier white / black top
Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd never start it unless you're able to DRIVE it fully warm (and beyon).

And even that, I'd not do it so often you guys are doing it (especially not in every week!).
When I had to store my car I never started it.

Starting the car is the worst you can do to it (espeacially if it is cold) when it has been sitting for long.
All the oil has drained from the bearings etc so the engine runs "without" oil for while.
It's a brief moment, but it's something and more often you do it, worse it is obviously.

Another thing, I pump brakes and handbrake every now and then while the car's sitting.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Speaking as the former owner of a detailing shop and as a concour judge I am a big fan of getting a fresh coat of wax on the car. I agree with everything that Mo said as well. I am personally not a fan of starting the car unless it is around 50 or so outside. Best wishes and enjoy the spring - Jay Gratton
Old 02-02-2004, 11:24 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Starting your car every few weeks, unless you actually drive it and thoroughly warm it up, is THE WORST THING YOU CAR DO while your car is in storage. Moisture in the oil and exhaust won't burn off and you create more issues than you think you've prevented.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

whoa, sounds like my idea of doing soething good to the old lady once in a while turns out to be a desaster.

I will keep my hands off the ignition and continue to dream about the sound when shifting gears on the Autobahn.

Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 12:58 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I will still fire her up on decent days and will simply drive it a bit further to ensure that it gets up to proper temp.

I will also be more specific in future posts to reduce the chance of any misinformation.

Once a month or so we get a decent day - 40+ degrees, sunny and dry. I start the car and take it for a spin. IMO, this allows everything to lube up and cheers me to no end. I know that I could leave it alone for 4+ months but I want to drive it!

Quick Reply: Get ready after Hibernation