Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the state of the oil on the cylinders. You can tell the oil on the cylinder jugs has been very slowly accumulating and from another source (probably intake manifold) If the leak was from the through bolts or the cylinder base seals it would still be wet there. All you have is accumulated oil and dirt but very little actual wetness in that area. Also, if would be very difficult for the oil to defy gravity and move from those through bolt seals up the case and above the source of the leak.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:08 AM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m glad most of you are not quick to point to the worst case scenario, BUT...There is a physical barrier between a “leaky” manifold and the tops of the cylinders. I’m not seeing any smoking gun on how oil gets from the leaking intake manifold to the tops of the cylinders as pictured. I tend to over think problems as is, but this one really confuses me. I don’t know what the part is called, but it’s the the fiberglass part that distributes air from the cooling fan over the cylinders. This part completely shelters the cylinders from the leaky intake manifold.

I‘m already moving beyond fixing anything related to this problem. I just simply want to know if something is wrong that I’ll fix down the road. I’ve cleaned the tops of the cylinders and case and I’m putting it back together. Definitely, I’ll pay closer attention to the actual oil level when I fill it up again. I’ve usually put in about 10.5-11 quarts in the past. I’m pretty sure, now, this is a bit over the correct amount.

If consensus is correct that I overfilled, awesome! I’ll confirm this over the next few oil changes. I guess
i can just revisit this thread in about a year.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:30 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

What will happen is oil mist will be produced around the resonance flap seals and the fan sucks in that air and oil mist, then blows it over the barrels. The cowl will have a coating on it's upper surface (it's plastic not fibreglass) the fan itself will probably have a fine coating especially on the leading edge of the blades.

Quick Reply: Strange oil leaks