Sponsored by:

New short shifter for 993/TTs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,

Sematics... If you make the same shift in the same amount of time, nothing is changed. If you make that shift faster (because you can... the throw is less), then you can mismatch rpms more and increase wear. No argument from me. But, its all up to the driver, which is exactly as it should be. My point is that its not the shifter itself that accelerates the wear... its the driver abusing the gearbox. The short shifter makes it easier to do. I think we're saying the same thing. Semantics.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:43 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kim,

I had some trouble with my short shifter (RS) recently. I could not get it from 5th to 4th. Sometimes it would pop out. After looking underneath I found that the bolt connecting the shift had broken and was barely holding it together. Made things kinda sloppy as a result. Replaced the bolt and everything is great!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
kary - Thanks, I'll check it out. For me it is only a problem when upshifting in a slow corner from 2nd to 3rd. No matter how slowly I tried to shift, I just couldn't find the gear. I found that it wasn't my driving as I had an experienced instructor have the same issue on successive laps. Going down the straights or in faster corners, no issues....
Are you sure your KK box wasn't holding it up?

Seriously though, once you check the bolts etc., check the bushings on both ends of the "support rod" (that rod under there, which runs from front to rear), those could be worn and that would make the shifting sloppy.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
KK box is strapped into the passenger seat...can't risk getting the donuts dirty... ...
I knew you're smart guy!

Quick Reply: New short shifter for 993/TTs??