993 Forum 1995-1998

Time for a new rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Time for a new rack

Well my 95 993 steering rack is leaking and I am planning my replacement project. I would appreciate recommendations on where to source the best rebuilt unit. A DIY rebuild of the seals looks problematic to me. Also links to step by step installation procedures that I may have missed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This seems to be somewhat of a chronological age-related issue as the nylon seals shrink over time. It is likely
accelerated in some cases by corrosion on the rack rod ends as the inside tie-rod end boots don't really seal very well and lose what little
sealing ability they have over time allowing road moisture & debris inside the boots contaminating the rack. Replacing the inside tie-rod boots may forestall this issue to some limited extent. Here are some comprehensive notes on removing and installing the rack. If done correctly your steering wheel centering & car's alignment is preserved.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ent-notes.html

There are significant service life advantages to sending in your own rack for a rebuild rather than accepting a swap-out from the rebuilder’s inventory of racks if they even have the correct one for a 993. The 993 rack is unique and very few serviceable cores exist. Those that do are not necessarily ones that will produce a long service life rebuild. You don't want the rebuilder sending back a 964 rack that may fit and look the same but has a different turning ratio. See p-car.com’s posting “How to jack the car up safely”
Old 11-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks those are great notes

Quick Reply: Time for a new rack