Sponsored by:

Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 09:02 PM
BigBadDad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker question

A quick question. The rear speakers in my 97 993 cab are looking pretty abused, so I picked up some 4" Boston Acoustic speakers that fit with no problems, but the impedance is 4ohm versus the stock speakers which are 8 ohm. Does anybody know if this is critical? I asked the saleman and he said I shouldn't have a problem, but if I did, it would be the amp overheating. That doesn't saound too good to me. He claims they don't sell 8ohm speakers.

I guess my question is... should I use them or not?

thanks

-John
Old 11-02-2002, 09:20 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure about the overloading, but if you do decide NOT to use them, I'll buy them(if they have grills). I have a aftermarket system that can use them
thanks
Old 11-02-2002, 09:40 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John,

You can use the 4 ohm speakers, but your amplifier will run hotter. Essentially you will be doubling the power output if you half your impedance. Most amps are 4 ohm stable, but maybe someone can answer if the stock amp is 4 ohm stable.

I would personally do it thinking that the worst that will happen is that you'd have to replace your amplifier sometime in the future. Then you can upgrade that as well.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
boris
Old 11-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
John:

I agree with Boris in his post above. I think you'll have no problems with running those 4 ohms speakers in the rear.

If it was a high power subwoofer application that you were substituting a 4 ohm speaker for an 8 ohm speaker, that might cause a bigger problem. But swapping out a mid/high speaker on a stock system is probably pretty safe.

Most modern car audio amps have thermal protection in which the amp will shut itself down in the event internal temps get too high. I would assume whoever built the amp for Porsche for '97 has taken this into consideration.

Also, your salesperson is correct in that most aftermarket car audio co-ax and component speaker systems are rated at 4 ohms. 8 ohm drivers are usually used in home audio, pro audio and special car audio applications.

Good luck
Jay
90 964
Old 11-02-2002, 11:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the same speakers in my cab about 6- mos ago and have had no problems (yet).
Old 11-03-2002, 12:11 AM
BigBadDad
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. The consensus seems to be don't worry, so I won't. I also checked with my neighbor .

David in LA, did you replace all your speakers, or just the rears. I am considering replacing the fronts also.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:32 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for now just the rears...but will likely replace the fronts w/ focals and also get a subwoofer box from caraudioinnovations.

didn't want to spend too much $$$ on the rear spekers (focal also has some nice 4") as my car is a cab and the sound quality is pretty compromised with the top down.

Quick Reply: Speaker question