Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue instrument lights and brighter positioning lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:53 AM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had marker lamps in other cars ('90 Corrado w/Euro lenses, 911's w/Euro H1's). They were wired to come on only when the parking lights were on, and go out when the headlamps came on. This worked well as they were only intended to provide a little extra visibility of me for other drivers. The 993 setup is goofy. These do not need to be on with the headlamps and indeed look pathetic when these and the fogs are on. I have not looked into what is needed to rewire them to go out when the headlamps come on, but if that cannot be done easily, removing the bulbs is probably the next best option.
Bill
Old 11-08-2002, 01:22 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<<I haven't changed the backlight color in my car, but bulbs do burn out and need replacement, so logic tells me that you must be able to do it. Did they give you a reason?>>>

NHS said that, unlike the gauges in pre-964 911's, the amber color of the backlighting on 964/993 gauges is from the plastic that makes up the gauge itself, not the bulb. As a result, if you change the color of the bulb to, say, green, the color that you'll see will be some combination of green and amber (probably brown/black - not very appealing sounding).

It sounds like 911Jeff will be changing the color of the bulbs in his 993 - I'd be very interested in hearing about the results.

Quick Reply: Blue instrument lights and brighter positioning lights?