993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Service Sought (Non P-car)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018 | 09:07 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Default Advice on Service Sought (Non P-car)

As per the title this is a non-Porsche service situation.

I've got a 2005.5 Audi S4 with ~80K that has a set of issues that need addressing.
The car has become my wife's car and she loves the ride, handling, V8 "oomph" and awesome Recaro seats.
Yes it's a bit squeaky/ rattles, but overall in pretty good shape. Also, it does not have a very demanding existence - mostly errands around town 2-3x/month.

However, the right front strut is "blown" and needs replacing, one of the 3 stability control chips is "out", and there is a question as to if upper gaskets are needed on both sides.
I'm working away from home this month and my wife could have visited, but neither of us felt safe with her driving the car in its current condition for 300mi at highway speeds given the known issues.
I'm no "wrench" - so no work would be DIY - aftermarket repair in the Las Vegas area are less expensive than the dealer, but ALL of the work needed is > 3/4 of the Edmunds.com estimated value of the car.
Also, my understanding is if you replace the right side of a strut, you "should" also replace the left at the same time - adding to the cost.
Of course, $4-5K is less than buying a new car, but it's getting to a question of diminishing returns.

Option 1: Forget about it - move on - sell the S4 and figure out what next.
Option 2: Repair front struts on both sides. Clean off the engine. Drive. Follow the engine appearance to see if any weeping occurring. As all her driving in the S4 is desert only/dry (RARE rain/ NO ice or snow), don't replace the stability chip.
Option 3: Do everything! What are you kidding, they're not making any more of these big block V8, let alone putting them in tiny A4 bodies!
Option 4: ?????

This website has proven invaluable over the years for automotive related issues of all sorts and I really seek some input from more car "savvy" folk.

Last edited by DocTock993; 10-29-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2018 | 09:35 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Option 4: Sell it. Buy another S4 in better shape.
Old 10-28-2018 | 11:41 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you are prepared to do your own work DIY fix it.
Otherwise, sell it and put the repair cost down on a nice Honda or Toyota.
Old 10-28-2018 | 10:01 PM
TheBen
Drifting

I had a 2004 Audi s4 avant 6-speed with a few issues. I sold it but before I did I fixed some of the issues you mentioned. Pm me and we can chat.

Quick Reply: Advice on Service Sought (Non P-car)