Sponsored by:

ABS not working after wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Jonathan Barnett
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ABS not working after wheel bearing replacement

I have just replaced both front and left rear wheel bearings. When everything was put back together the speedometer no longer worked and there were lights indicating that the ABS was not working. I assumed that it was a bad ABS sensor and went about troubleshooting. After removing the front left ABS sensor I noticed a small piece of metal that had made its way into the sensor hole – shorting the sensor. After I removed this the speedometer was again reading correctly but my ABS is still not working.

I have looked in the 993 Manuals and have discovered that it may be necessary to connect Porsche Tech Tool #2 to diagnose the problem and possibly reset the computer. Is this what indeed needs to be done? Does the ABS computer reset itself or does this need to be done manually? I am hoping that there is a workaround -- I would prefer not to go to the Dealer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 12-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

John I am not sure, but idea might be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes (have the Big Brother Immobilizer? CAREFUL!!!)

Possibly better - pull the fuse for the ABS for a few minutes.

Another thought; on old Audi Coupe Quattro I had a bad ABS sensor. The replacement needed to be carefully inserted an exact distance from the sensor end to the cogs on the spinning wheel hub. Don't know if you've gotten this right.

Does the ABS work? Find a wide open road without traffic and nail the brakes hard to see if they're working. Should tell you if you still have no ABS or it's just a warning light reset problem.

Quick Reply: ABS not working after wheel bearing replacement