New to 993 and have exhaust and radio questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to 993 and have exhaust and radio questions

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and have just purchased a 1998 Carrera convertible tiptronic black 911 with 37000 miles all original and have 3 questions.

1. I’ve never driven a stick shift 993 before. But my automatic feels pretty underpowered, I would have expected more from a 911. Is this a known thing that autos feel slower in general?

2. 3 of the 4 speakers don’t work. My mechanic was recommending a new head unit and new speakers so I can have blue tooth. My dash is all black. Is there an all black after market radio head unit you guys recommend?

3. I was quite shocked to see that exhaust note is very mild. I didn’t expect it to sound like a Ferrari but maybe something between a Toyota Camry and a Ferrari? Do you guys recommend any parts/mods I can do to increase the exhaust sound? I realize that answer to this question may be different if I had a hard top.

Thank you.

Alex
Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) likely known issue carbon build-up which necessitates a $5k tear down
2) porsche classic makes a stereo replacement. search is your friend.
3) sport air box. or just drill some holes in yours to mimic it like swiss cheese. or buy as much sport exhaust/headers/box etc. as you want...
Old 10-16-2018, 02:16 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
1) likely known issue carbon build-up which necessitates a $5k tear down
2) porsche classic makes a stereo replacement. search is your friend.
3) sport air box. or just drill some holes in yours to mimic it like swiss cheese. or buy as much sport exhaust/headers/box etc. as you want...
1. Not true. That said, your car has only 282 horses, and after 20 years, probably even less. In it's day, it was plenty fast. Now, a 2018 Camry has as much power.

2. True.

3. True, and also search Fister cans. Fister Stage II (louder) or Stage III (even louder) cans will make a huge difference.

Good luck and welcome
Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the madness!

My first 993 was a tiptronic. They are four speed automatics and if you put it in "Drive" it will start you off in 2nd gear. That can make the car feel very slow. If I recall correctly, if you put in 3rd it will start you off in first... but it has been a few years.

My recommendation is to always drive in in manual mode. Shift it when you at the correct RPMs. If you drive in in auto mode it will shift way too early and feel very slow.

Try the search feature on this site.... it will keep you busy for hours!

We need photos.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiss_movement
Hello everyone,

I’m new here and have just purchased a 1998 Carrera convertible tiptronic black 911 with 37000 miles all original and have 3 questions.

1. I’ve never driven a stick shift 993 before. But my automatic feels pretty underpowered, I would have expected more from a 911. Is this a known thing that autos feel slower in general?

2. 3 of the 4 speakers don’t work. My mechanic was recommending a new head unit and new speakers so I can have blue tooth. My dash is all black. Is there an all black after market radio head unit you guys recommend?

3. I was quite shocked to see that exhaust note is very mild. I didn’t expect it to sound like a Ferrari but maybe something between a Toyota Camry and a Ferrari? Do you guys recommend any parts/mods I can do to increase the exhaust sound? I realize that answer to this question may be different if I had a hard top.

Thank you.

Alex
Hi Alex,
Welcome to our site. Please be careful using the adjective "original.". Another member, Nile13, gets upset.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts

I'd say first order of business, if you haven't already, would be to get a compression and leak-down test to determine engine health. With a '98, if you had clogged SAI ports, you'd be throwing codes. Get a check to see if any appear. When you get new speakers, be sure that they match impedance with the head unit you select. Also, I'd also refrain from selecting speakers that require "surgery" to fit. Check out FD Motorsports for Fister mufflers, Stage II or Stage III.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

@mpruden is selling some Fister 2s. If you search on YouTube you can see and hear some videos what the Fister muffler upgrade sounds like.

As for radio, if you are looking for a Bluetooth upgrade there are a few options

1. Continental- https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...7412ub-or.html

2. Alpine-
Alpine CDE-HD149BT https://g.co/kgs/jezp7q

3. Porsche classic one-
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCYZQQAvD_BwE

As for the speakers you can get any after market ones and screw them in. Crutchfield is a good vendor as their tech support and return policy is great if you are going to install yourself.

Congrats!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:41 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Alex
This is my 2cents towards your questions. Hope it helps.

1. Yep tips are about a second slower compared to manual, and the transmission can make the car feel like you are driving a tractor at times. I agree with smbryan and goofballdeluxe. After living with my tip for 13 years you have to accept the car for what it is - a 24 year old car - with a lot of worn out components. All modern hot hatches will probably be faster. The engine is probably down on original power. After I had a full rebuild I noticed that it was a lot stronger and pulled way harder after 4k revs. Over the years the best things I found to extract more power where wongchip, decat, weight loss. TPC supercharger will be the best bang for buck power upgrade bar none and turns the 993 tiptronic into a mid/high 12sec 1/4 mile car. The other projects I found to increase the handling of the car include - changing ATF fluid to a high quality fluid (smoother and slightly faster shifts. I'm using Mobil dex6 now. Using Lubegarde before), front strut brace, suspension upgrades, bushes for control arms and sway bars, new wheel bearings, smaller steering wheel with paddles, weight loss rs carpet and door panels, rear seat delete, bucket seats, heat pipe delete, new engine mounts. I found these to be the best changes/upgrades, amongst many other changes/upgrades I have done.

2. I found it hard to located OEM speakers that where exact fit items. In the end I ditched the rear speakers as I prefer listening to the engine and exhaust note. But I did install the Classic Porsche Radio and replaced the front speakers. I would not recommend the classic radio. Its expensive and the screen is too small for navigation. It does however allow me to sync with my iphone and use bluetooth music and make phone calls while using the microphone and speaker of the head unit. I have it for the look mostly. I used the front speaker units from Gert at Carnewal. German brand called Helix. I found these speakers to be perfect fit and the quality of the speakers was much better than some other speakers I tried in the past. Perhaps one of the mainstream car hifi brands would be a better way to go for value and function for head unit choices.

3. Decat with straight pipe and stock muffler and headers in my opinion is the a win/win - not an expensive option, less weight, very good exhaust note. But your neighbors might not be too happy. I used the Fabspeed straight pipe decats for a few years. Enjoyed it a lot. But one of the pipes would sit lower than the other pipe and I found this visually displeasing. I have used the Fabspeed crossover pipe with 200 cell cats and like this configuration better. The car pops and burbles and the sound is nice but not too loud. However, in the near future I will probably change the stock headers for non heat units and look at lighter muffler options. The Fister 2 sound is something I like a lot.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Please be careful asking question about radios. God forbid... you'll get a million posts in ALL CAPS with dumb questions and assertions. Usually followed by even better questions regarding floor mats and other all important stuff. If you really want to discuss a decent stereo setup there are many threads here going over this very topic. Decide what i is you are looking for and what you are willing to spend. 993 is not a great car for acoustics, so define what's really important to you here. Alternately, ALL CAPS and incessant posting will definitely get you some "original" radio answers.

The lack of power is probably expectation vs. gearing, especially with an automatic, Try to find and drive a manual 993 to compare. It's not geared well either, but would give you some datapoints.

The exhaust is an easy button. Look up LPPM, a mod that can be done for you locally or look at Fister mufflers. Which, btw, might answer your radio question as well. Ah, oh, my god, they are not completely and utterly "original", so see above.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
2. I found it hard to located OEM speakers that where exact fit items. In the end I ditched the rear speakers as I prefer listening to the engine and exhaust note. But I did install the Classic Porsche Radio and replaced the front speakers. I would not recommend the classic radio. Its expensive and the screen is too small for navigation. It does however allow me to sync with my iphone and use bluetooth music and make phone calls while using the microphone and speaker of the head unit. I have it for the look mostly. I used the front speaker units from Gert at Carnewal. German brand called Helix. I found these speakers to be perfect fit and the quality of the speakers was much better than some other speakers I tried in the past. Perhaps one of the mainstream car hifi brands would be a better way to go for value and function for head unit choices.
To provide a different perspective, I really like my Porsche Classic Radio. I don't disagree with the specifics of haygeebaby's post - it is expensive, the nav is not very useful with its small screen (I use my phone for nav anyway but you are paying for Nav and it is a bit small). But it has all the modern functionality of a new car (Bluetooth A2DP, phone, XM radio, Nav, etc), sounds much better sound than stock and (most importantly IMO) it fits with the design of the 993 - it looks like it belongs. For me, that is worth the $1250 or so. For others it may not be.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Thank you everyone for your input.
I decided on the Continental all black head unit. My mechanic is ordering the new speakers.

the exhaust note is definitely underwhelming. I took my friend to lunch in the car and her too agreed that sound was unexpectedly low.

I’d like to go with the Fister stage II. But my mechanic is recommending I hear one first on a car before ordering the parts.

My friend in San Diego has a 1995 manual convertible. Next month when I go to San Diego I will drive his car to get a sense of how much faster it is.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:56 PM
hopeydaze
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiss_movement
Thank you everyone for your input.
I decided on the Continental all black head unit. My mechanic is ordering the new speakers.
You will be happy with the Continental unit - I made the same change early this year and I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

When I searched for my 993 2 years ago I went through all of the questions mentioned in your post.. ..

1. The Tiptronic cars are a great value if you adjust your driving style. I looked at two before I found my manual. Drive a sorted FD3s Mazda RX7 auto, or a Z32 twin turbo 300zx auto from the same period and you'll quickly appreciate how responsive the 993 was for its time ( when driven in manual) Besides If you're looking to get your head thrown back in a N/A 993 , you're shopping in the wrong store...

2. For what its worth I ended up with a Kenwood BT372U after considering the Porsche Classic Nav and the VDO (i.e. Continental ) offerings. One of my requirements (other than matching display colo)r, was quick device charging through the USB. The Porsche looks great, but a little too rich for my blood. The Continentals are hit or miss Re: charging depending on your device (only deliver .5A). Also the Contis only pull streaming from a phone via Bluetooth, the USB is for a thumb drive. Thanks to Spotify I've no need to store music these days. With the matte black plastic however, both of those look at home in a 993. The Kenwood looks nearly as good ( its glossy black like most of the aftermarket) and has all the features you'd want for a great price. It accepts music from a device via USB or Bluetooth. The display, button color and illumination level are all variable to match our gauges. It has that smallish display that looks kind of period. Almost reminds me of a late '80s Onkyo receiver ..

3. Exhaust, Fister Stage 1. Darin made me one even though its currently not on the menu. Sounds aggressive when driven in anger, but volume is proportional to the cars performance. Expecting to add 200 cell cats at a later date which should result in the perfect sound IMHO.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rudey08

When I searched for my 993 2 years ago I went through all of the questions mentioned in your post.. ..

1. The Tiptronic cars are a great value if you adjust your driving style. I looked at two before I found my manual. Drive a sorted FD3s Mazda RX7 auto, or a Z32 twin turbo 300zx auto from the same period and you'll quickly appreciate how responsive the 993 was for its time ( when driven in manual) Besides If you're looking to get your head thrown back in a N/A 993 , you're shopping in the wrong store...

2. For what its worth I ended up with a Kenwood BT372U after considering the Porsche Classic Nav and the VDO (i.e. Continental ) offerings. One of my requirements (other than matching display colo)r, was quick device charging through the USB. The Porsche looks great, but a little too rich for my blood. The Continentals are hit or miss Re: charging depending on your device (only deliver .5A). Also the Contis only pull streaming from a phone via Bluetooth, the USB is for a thumb drive. Thanks to Spotify I've no need to store music these days. With the matte black plastic however, both of those look at home in a 993. The Kenwood looks nearly as good ( its glossy black like most of the aftermarket) and has all the features you'd want for a great price. It accepts music from a device via USB or Bluetooth. The display, button color and illumination level are all variable to match our gauges. It has that smallish display that looks kind of period. Almost reminds me of a late '80s Onkyo receiver ..

3. Exhaust, Fister Stage 1. Darin made me one even though its currently not on the menu. Sounds aggressive when driven in anger, but volume is proportional to the cars performance. Expecting to add 200 cell cats at a later date which should result in the perfect sound IMHO.
thank you for your note. Why did you want a Fister I? Why not Fister II? And what is a 200 cell cat?
I will most likely order the Fister II unless there is a reason I shouldn’t.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

The Fister 1 mod, to my knowledge, is strictly the bypass pipe welded between the mufflers inlet and outlet. As I recall the Fister 2 has some reduced baffling ( cut open and welded back up) in addition to the bypass. The performance cats I plan to add ( 200 Cell is the size of the catalyst ) paired with Fister 2, seemed a bit too loud for what I want out of the car. Maybe if I was building a track car or RS replica, but that's a different story. As they say, Your experience may vary

Quick Reply: New to 993 and have exhaust and radio questions