electric fan in the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electric fan in the engine compartment

As summer approaches here in Texas, I'm curious about the fan that comes on for a few seconds in the engine bay minutes after the car in shut off. Do others experience this in warm weather? What temp triggers the fan?
Old 04-25-2002, 02:18 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don,
This fan simply blows air across the engine to cool it. It uses the electrical heater fan. The air comes in the same inlet as the belt driven cooling fan, blows across the engine and gets dumped under the car from those two outlets you see (rather than into the passenger compartment as heat). I’ve experienced it in warm weather. It’s normal. Sorry, I can’t tell you the temp setting that triggers it.

Tom
Old 04-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don,

The plastic ducts and fan motors (aux. blower) you see on the left side of the engine bay serves two primary purpose.

Provide extra air needed at low engine speeds for heat function. (forces air through the heat exchanger to be heated and then forward to the lassenger compartment)

To prevent excessive heat buildup in the sill area in the summer period. Like Tom said the hot air is evacuated to the outside across heater flap boxes that are controller by differenttial pressure. (Shop manual)

When the ignotion is off the control is depended on the air temperature at the temperature sensor located on the left side aux. blower plastic tube.

It turns on at 75 degree C, and off at 70 degree C.

The temperature sensor fits on the plastic tube in the below picture.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:44 AM
993C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fan turns on at least 2 twice after every drive after the engine is switched off. I believe this is very normal and also due to the year round hot weather here.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old post found on search:

Does anyone know of any advantages installing a Spall or other brand electric fan under the deck lid? either pull or push air to cool the motor?

Quick Reply: electric fan in the engine compartment